Close To The Edge (the track)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dunkoid, Jan 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dunkoid

dunkoid Forum Resident Thread Starter

This is an often lauded track, being purported as one of the greatest in prog rock.
    I don't get it. At. All.
    There are parts that are undeniably great (organ section), some pretty good/ok, and some unlistenable (first 3 minutes).
    Discuss

ThunderDan and chrisblower like this.
  2. formbypc

formbypc Forum Resident

This.

I don't like Paul McCartney, so I don't listen to him.

3. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Tastes differ of course. What you call the unlistenable first three minutes are a highlight for me and I think the organ section is the weakest part to my ears. And this is probably because you and me enjoy this track very differently. No problem, plenty of other stuff one can listen to. By the way, what do you think is the greatest prog rock track?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  4. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

If you find the first three minutes of this unlistenable, then you don't love birds.

5. Zardok

Zardok Forum Resident

Fantastic track, perfection. Wouldn't change a single second of it. The epitome of prog rock at its best. The so-called noise is a build up of harmony from sonic chaos which then leads onto the more melodic section where the singing begins.

Not all music is for everyone. I am bemused on this forum by the (for me) unwarranted attention given to humdrum early songs by, say, The Beatles and the serious discussion attached to clearly drug-inspired gibberish. But maybe I'm not getting those.

MikeM., showtaper, Mark J and 22 others like this.
  6. Tuneman63

Tuneman63 Forum Resident

If William Shatner covered it, that would make it it unlistenable.

wrat, Vic_1957, Wil1972 and 3 others like this.
  7. Not my concern whether you enjoy the track, or not. I always loved it myself.

showtaper, x2zero, Charlie Z. and 6 others like this.
  8. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

I personally think when all the music kicks in (after the sound effects fading in) that it is some of the absolute most exciting rock music I've ever heard in my life. And then when it finally gets to the verse, it remains completely exciting, less chaotic, but still tense. Finally, it gives to a beautiful melody. And then there's the great harmonies on "I Get Up, I Get Down". - I'm not sure what's not to love or what's not to get, but people are definitely entitled to not like it. I felt this way from the first moment I heard this music 30+ years ago and I still feel that way now.

9. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

I think it’s fantastic from start to finish. The opening section throws me right into it with a great groove, propulsive energy, and some cool embellishments. I love the smooth transition into the “Total Mass Retain” section, which I think does a good job of breaking down into a slower groove without losing any momentum. The slower middle section is a gorgeous build from restrained to massive, both on the organ and the vocals. The final section is as brilliant a climax as I’ve ever heard in a prog song. The whole thing fits together really well despite some sudden transitions. I think it’s the most effective prog rock appropriation of classical music structure.

10. trickness

trickness Gotta painful yellow headache

Hard disagree. CTTE is the high water mark of their prog meanderings, everything they ever did in this vein afterwards was less than. Having Bruford on the track certainly helped. Flows as one piece and makes sense, unlike the trying-too-hard riff salads that are TFTO and Relayer

11. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

I need to contact Shatner's agent, right now! This is inspired.

BwanaBob, wrat, nick99nack and 6 others like this.
  12. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

I had a first time getting into "CTTE" too, but I really opened to it after a few tries. Now it's "freckling" essential.

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2021
    mark winstanley and dunkoid like this.
  13. Zardok

Zardok Forum Resident

I would love to hear him do a version of it and Starship Troopers whilst he is about it.

BwanaBob, BPMC, Mook and 1 other person like this.
  14. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

A duet of Roundabout with Jack Black.

15. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Taste is relative. To be of a whole lot of help we'd need to know what you do like. For example, what other Yes do you enjoy? How many times have you listened to it? What medium are you using? It all factors in. For example, I've owned CTTE on original Vinyl, four times on CD, and now on Blu-Ray. I have an interest in avant garde Jazz, so a noisy start isn't anything particularly new, intimidating, or difficult. Remember, this is a huge piece, what is it, 20 minutes long? There are various movements, and it takes its time to paint it's aural picture. I'd suggest that if you're coming to it new, it might take some considerable time to truly get the hang of it, but that will depend on what else you listen to. Do you listen to any other Prog? What's your favorite?

And yeah, as others have said, maybe it's just not for you? You single out this track, what do you make of the rest of the album?

PhoffiFozz and Vic_1957 like this.
  16. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

I loved it first time I heard it in 2001 and I had no previous interest in prog or jazz.

Mr. Bewlay and PhoffiFozz like this.
  17. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

I'm with the OP, 100%. I nearly posted something along the same lines one time.

I love Going For The One so much I've bought it about 8 times. I really like the Yes Album to GFTO "peak period", even including a side of Topographic Oceans (1 or 4, can't remember which).

I love side 2 of Close To The Edge.

I've got all the expected favourites on my ipod comp. But the track Close To The Edge didn't make it.

I've tried to like it many times over the years, but I just can't find anything special about it.

Awaken? The Gates Of Delirium? Absolutely. Echoes? Supper's Ready? Of course.

But Close To The Edge? I don't get it.

18. ed carter

ed carter Forum Resident

I get chills just thinking about it. One of the great pieces of music, let alone prog or rock, ever. A masterpiece from start to finish.

MikeM., kenbefound, Jerquee and 23 others like this.
  19. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

20. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

I think it would help - either the conversation or yourself - if you attempted to elucidate what it is you don't like about Close to the Edge. Why that song doesn't work for you although other Yes tracks do. Not so much Relayer or GFTO but there's a fairly noticeable progression from The Yes Album through to Close to the Edge (both sides) and it seems odd that track in particular you wouldn't get if you got the others. Do you find the playing poor? The structure of the song nonsensical? That it lacks rhythm or melody? there's not enough variation in tone or very good colouring in instrumentation or something otherwise offputting about the way it's played? Bruford's drumming too off kilter or Howe's/Squire's guitar not pleasantly in synch with it? Do you find it particularly lyrically obtuse? Do you feel it moves forward as a song too slowly, or perhaps too quickly?

I've heard this song so many times now I'm struggling to imagine where one would actually criticise it or what one wouldn't enjoy about it if one likes prog. I don't know what one "wouldn't get" exactly.

21. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

I bought this album in late 1972 when I was in high school...the title track was stunning to me then and still is incredibly impressive today. I remember thinking "This is sort of like complexity for complexity's sake"...the musicianship was jaw-dropping. I already had the two previous Yes LPs and "Close To The Edge" was like the jewel in their musical crown.

Keith todaro, Vic_1957 and Cledwyn like this.
  22. old school

old school Senior Member

It’s a progressive epic, I don’t think I can say anymore then has been said about it. The Bass part is really awesome how it goes against the grain. Top shelf music.

23. atcrowe1

atcrowe1 Forum Resident

For me, the rhythm section work alone is mind blowing.

Lamus, samsondale, t-man 54 and 9 others like this.
  24. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

The first three minutes are making a statement and getting down to business.

I’d stay away from the Gates of Delirium if I were you...

25. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.