Clue Me In To The Smiths...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wildest cat from montana, Jun 30, 2020.

1. georgespigott

georgespigott You fill me with inertia.

Indeed, "Well I Wonder" is always a litmus test for these type of lists for me. If it's not in the Top Ten, then I figure either they don't know the Smiths catalog or they have no taste!

ekkinak, Score17 and Hyacinth House like this.
  2. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

To be fair to The Smiths, their hit rate was so high that even a great song such as that might not scrape into a Top 50 list.

3. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

Not in my top 10, for sure!

4. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Excellent band but I can only take three or four Smiths songs and I'm done, like "oh shut the **** up Morrissey!"

Aftermath likes this.
  5. 33andathird

33andathird keep em spinning

Anyone know why original UK Smiths LPs are so expensive? For example the starting price of The Queen is Dead on Discogs is just under £20, and thats for a Fair pressing without a sleeve. I'm not paying £50 plus for a Smiths record, a band whom I enjoy their music but not a diehard fan, I'm guessing I'm in a rare category because they're a band who people either adore or despise :D

6. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

Because CD's had largely replaced LP's by 1990, and the bands original label Rough Trade went under in February 1991. And I guess, in the same way you don't tend to see Metallica in charity shops, Smiths fans tend to be for life. Some bands people grow out of and their stuff is always available cheap, other band people just don't.

Earscape and pwhytey like this.
  7. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

Eh..? Isnt rem was the one who sang the song..

"its the end of the world as we know it..
    this guitar's out of tune., still made millions."

8. pwhytey

pwhytey Forum Resident

Yep, I'll never grow out of The Smiths. The impact their music had on me as a 16 year-old was seismic — it spoke directly to me and shaped me as a person. I loathe and feel somehow betrayed by the horror that Morrissey has become, but even that hasn't tainted my love for The Smiths. It's a lifelong devotion.

9. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

often putting the whole catalogue on random play for days that i need it, badly

Mozza was always a headcase, the press had him in a bad light from day one, i never let that get in the way of his music, besides, he wasn't going out to fight in the streets....

10. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I watched that the other night. It's a nice period piece but I couldn't relate the character in the film to Morrissey at all, physically or personality wise. I can understand that Stephen was very introverted and hung up at the time but I think that was over-played. Also, the depictions of the Manchester scene were very flat and dull. Funny to see Linder portrayed, as she was a year ahead of me at Mancheter Poly at the time!

Jim B. likes this.
  11. johnnybrum

johnnybrum Forum Resident

Geordiepete, ARK, Aftermath and 2 others like this.
  12. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

Johnny does talk about The Smiths quite a lot.

13. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

Well, duh. He was in the band and gets asked about it quite often.

14. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

You sound angry.

15. lothianlad

lothianlad Forum Resident

Wow, Morrissey did not miss there.

16. Liam Brown

Liam Brown Forum Resident

I figure this is all because Marr said Isaac Brock was the best lyricist he'd worked with. This must have annoyed Morrissey. As for Marr answering questions about The Smiths in interviews - what do you expect, every person in a defunct seminal band is asked questions about their former band in every interview. It's silly to think this is Marr's fault. He also talks about The The , The Cribs, Modest Mouse and Talking Heads in any interview he does. Do you all think he writes the questions for people to ask him? That's not how it works.

Earscape and georgespigott like this.
  17. Orson Swells

Orson Swells Forum Resident

Well, Marr is always asked about Morrissey. Morrissey is very seldom asked about Marr.

Earscape and 7solqs4iago like this.
  18. Liam Brown

Okay. is this Marr's fault? Do you guys think he has a "please ask me about the smiths " clause in a contract he gets everyone who interviews him to sign? And does Morrissey even give interviews to anyone who doesn't work for him?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
    georgespigott likes this.
  19. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

Nah. Moz should count himself lucky he isn't currently fronting a reformed Smiths doing a 40th anniversary tour in small clubs at weekends, playing their debut in full alongside other choice 'cuts' from their career. Greater talents than him have suffered lesser fates than his.

It just seems odd that Moz thinks he can tell Marr what to do. It's like Moz doesn't understand people.

(I only hate Nazis, and Marmite - they're the only things worth getting angry about).

20. clayton

clayton Senior Member

I've got the Complete Smiths box set. It's all the Smiths you'll ever need.

21. Orson Swells

Orson Swells Forum Resident

Well, Morrissey will have been interviewed far more times over the course of his solo career than Marr ever has! But clearly he's irked that Marr has jumped on the anti-Morrissey bandwagon and suddenly decided he was "difficult" and "problematic" in The Smiths.

Of course, Marr didn't seem to think this at the time - or indeed 15 years ago when he agreed to work with Morrissey again. It's just a bit of revisionism that's happened over the past few years. In fact, Marr was always quite positive about Morrissey before that.

So, I'm guessing that's what has actually riled Morrissey. Or as he once put it, "If you don't like me then don't look at me."

22. Liam Brown

I imagine when Marr quit the Smiths all those years ago it wasn't because Morrissey wasn't difficult or problematic. That kind of seems to be the exact reason why he quit.

But that has nothing to do with whether or not Marr has any control over what people ask him in interviews, maybe if only employees and family members interviewed him, as is the case with the last many years of Morrissey, there would be less Smiths questions to irk people who don't want to hear anything about them.

23. CrawdaddySim1

CrawdaddySim1 Forum Resident

When Marr left The Smiths, he was all of 23 years old. Think about some of the people you ran around with before that age, and how many of them that you wouldn't want to spend two minutes with now. As Morrissey said in a Mojo interview circa 2000, "we don't even like each other," or something to that effect. The partnership was fruitful while it lasted--the songs will last forever--but a friendship dead since 1987 has rotted into open antipathy, and I don't see how they could bear to stand on the same stage together for even 5 minutes.

Earscape and georgespigott like this.
  24. ThereOnceWasANote

ThereOnceWasANote Forum Resident

Moz needs to check his narcissism at the door. Marr can talk about whatever and whomever he likes. Page and Plant still talk about Zeppelin, McCartney the Beatles, and those bands ended long before the Smiths exited with Strangeways. It's never been much a secret about how and why the Smiths imploded. It's not like Marr has been divulging deep, dark secrets at Morrisey. Moz just seems to be wanting attention and this is a perfect way to get it. Sad really.

25. friendofafriend

friendofafriend Forum Resident

In terms of songs, perhaps yes, but in terms of sound quality, there are much better options. The original Rough Trade and Sire cds are much better. Not sure why that had to compress those remasters - they aren’t brick-walled by any means, but you hear a lot more detail in the older cds and older vinyl. The old cds also sound better than the newer vinyl remasters - I have several of them and only keep them for the album covers but always play my older cds. I have Sire debut, The Queen Is Dead, Louder Than Bombs and Rank. I have Rough Trade Meat Is Murder, Hatful Of Hollow, The World Won’t Listen, and Strangeways. Each of those beats the box set cds and vinyl versions noticeably.