C'mon Everybody, Let's Hear it for Eddie Cochran!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Killer, Oct 3, 2018.

1. oates

oates Forum Resident

I have a couple of budget "best of" type CDs (about 20 tracks each, the obvious hits and stuff). I know various releases have been cited in this thread - would anyone care to recommend the best sources of Eddie's work on CD - how much high quality stuff is there (I know he didn't cut many LPs), so which are the best CDs for someone who wants to delve a bit deeper? Any ideas?

2. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

This fella is the best no doubt:
    [​IMG]
    Also have this guy, sounds pretty good for a budget release:
    [​IMG]

Mylene, TheLoveDrags and ash1 like this.
  3. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

Nice to see Eddie back up on the board ! Coincidentally I was (again) listening to an episode of Jack Good's "Boy Meets Girls" yesterday (Feb 20th 1960 episode) and hearing Eddie, Gene Vincent, Joe Brown, Marty Wilde, Jess Conrad, Billy Fury. What a line-up.
    I play in a covers band and we usually give Summertime Blues an airing in an Eddie / Who inspired version. We live just up the road from the Bristol Hippodrome where Eddie played his last gig.
    Someone here (I think it was Rick) mentioned they liked Eddie even more than Buddy Holly. While Buddy gets the edge for me, it strikes me that they were similar in that they both seemed to be really looking into artistic growth, producing and arranging etc... It's easy to feel sad about what we lost through their premature deaths but you have to face it, what they both achieved was remarkable and in such a short space of time. They had a massive influence on the early British beat group scene in the late 50s and continued to do so even after they died. True legends.

4. Rick Bartlett

Juar had this on repeat for the last 15 minutes.
    Gosh i love this man!

The Killer likes this.
  5. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

From the 50s part of my collection, the only one I play more than Eddie is The Everly Brothers.

Darryl

The Killer and Rick Bartlett like this.
  6. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Eddie is on the current issue of Vintage Rock.

[​IMG]

An all Eddie issue is on the way as well.

Darryl

905 and Rick Bartlett like this.
  7. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

8. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

'Dark Lonely Street'

9. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

EC equals superb. I particularly like twenty flight rock

10. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Even though they weren't related...
    [​IMG]
    Ekko Records 1955 Publicity photo, "The Cochran Brothers, Eddie and Hank", from left: Edward Garland Perry "Eddie"Cochran (age 16) and Garland Perry "Hank"
    Cochran, (age 19).

The Killer and Rick Bartlett like this.
  11. mr. k

mr. k Master of the Rummage (retired)

Chuck Berry may have been rock and roll's great raconteur but I'd say he shared that position with Eddie, who was much younger and could probably relate better to what kids were thinking.

12. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Got this one coming via the classifieds...

[​IMG]

Darryl

The Killer likes this.
  13. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Eddie Cochran, Jerry Capehart, Sharon Sheeley and Baker Knight were in a cafe talking about the Summer and someone suggested writing a song about all the bad things about the season. They agreed to meet in a motel room later that day to compose the song but Baker slept in arriving at the motel to hear the finished song (Summertime Blues). This caused Mr Knight to go into a deep depression. He decided he was wasting his life trying to write songs in Los Angeles and was going to pack up his worldly goods and move back to Alabama. He was so depressed with the LA experience he decided to write a song about it. The song he wrote was Lonesome Town, Sharon heard it, loved it and took it to Ricky Nelson (a close friend) and the rest is history.

14. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I have the Legendary masters compilation with liner notes by Lenny Kaye.
    Essential

15. KFC_NY

KFC_NY Forum Resident

I'll always remember, Summertime Blues was used in a Wrangler Jeans ad in the UK in the 70's when I was about 12/13, I'd never heard it, and said what a great song! My Mum said, yeah, I've got it on an old 78! So she dug it out, and we had an old record player that played 78's. So that was my first exposure to that classic. What a shame his life & career was cut short. He was still turning out good stuff until the end.

Hey Vinyl Man, The Killer and Sear like this.
  16. Rick Bartlett

Recorded on a phone or a cheap camera perhaps, I'm sure this would have been amazing at the show.
    Good hearing some Eddie tune's apart from the usual 3 or 4 you normally hear people cover.
    The Bluejays - Three Steps To Heaven

sixtiesstereo likes this.
  17. JeffHunt

JeffHunt Stray Cat Strutting

Brian's rip-roaring cover of "Nervous Breakdown" - and that solo!

unclefred, vinnie and The Killer like this.
  18. JeffHunt

JeffHunt Stray Cat Strutting

This was...uhh.....interesting, to say the least.

19. MagneticNorthpaw

MagneticNorthpaw Senior Member

In my book, Eddie and Little Richard are neck & neck as the best voices of the golden era of rock and roll. It's always tantalizing to speculate about the futures that get wiped away when a musician passes before his or her time. I think Eddie was on a trajectory to be one of the best. He was a pioneer in the studio so I'd be especially curious to see how he would have evolved as the Sixties progressed.

That said, the songs he left behind are energetic, exciting, recorded well and always a joy to listen to. Great car music that sounds as good now as it must have then.

20. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Rick thanks for mentioning the BluJays. You beat me to it. Here they are doing "Summertime Blues"
    from April of this year while in lockdown...

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  21. Rick Bartlett

100 percent agree!
    Eddie's music to me, Never seems to date at all.
    Even now, playing on a transistor radio or on the AM band radio, his 'Energy' and his 'Vibrancy' just blows out of the speakers.
    Not every artist can do that 'Thing' that Eddie had. Elvis had it, Little Richard as you mentioned, it sounds great even on a small lo-fi unit.
    Eddie captured the Teenage angst in his music too.
    The car, the girl, the money, dreams, heaven.... Very collective.
    Everything that young people go through.
    It's sad we will never know what direction he would have gone with his short life.
    One thing is sure, as it's been well stated before, He's 'Never to be Forgotten'.

22. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Snagged this one some years ago

[​IMG]

23. td19

td19 Forum Resident

Coincidentally I was listening to my vinyl copy of this a few nights ago ... had not seen this thread. I guess that is the CD version? My cover is different, and there are only 16 tracks vs your 35.

Electric Sydney likes this.
  24. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

That box set can be a great alternative for those who want but can't afford the Bear Family box set since Bob Jones mastered both sets. It was probably much more expensive back in the day, but I see plenty of the CD versions going for about $12 to $15 US (though shipping from the UK to US might be costly).

melstapler likes this.
  25. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

The grandfather of punk rock.