Cobra Kai-Karate Kid Sequel Series Starring Ralph Macchio and William Zabka

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Encuentro, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

If they can’t get Elisabeth Shue, maybe Robyn Lively will show up instead.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I don't think it's comically bad writing. Daniel DIDN'T send the guys who burned Johnny's car, and Johnny quickly reads Daniel's reaction as honest. Also, Johnny really isn't a thug, and he's not going to kick Daniel's butt in his own house with his wife and kid watching. I think that's one of those moments where the anger blows off and one sees the temerity of that approach.

Contrast that with Daniel showing up at Johnny's apartment and attacking Johnny and trashing his place in front of BOTH their kids. This is a subtle theme in the show - you'd think that Johnny would be the more low-class, below-the belt-hothead, but that's Daniel. Johnny, who was schooled by a maniac, has limits. Daniel, who was trained by the noble Miyagi, is more reckless. He feels superior to others and cares less for the consequences of his actions.

polchik and GodShifter like this.
  3. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

4. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Just finished season 2 tonight. Tried to savor it and not binge.

I have not read any of the nine pages here yet but just want to say . . . WOW.

This is how reboots need to be. This is how Star Wars eps VI-IX needed to be.

The show creators have total respect to the characters and their development. I love how none of them are one-dimensional cliches. Each of them grapples with both sides of the coin as they try to decide what is the right thing to do. This show is not a simple "good vs bad" scenario.

Except for Kreese. He's Emperor Palpatine. Pure Evil. I love it!

5. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

I love Johnny Lawrence. Not just a better actor but the baddest Cobra Kai in the planet!

Matthew Tate and johnny q like this.
  6. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

7. Dok

Dok Senior Member

MikaelaArsenault and omikron like this.
  8. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

I saw the first 2 seasons on DVD in the library and love it. As one of the above posters said, this is by far the most faithful to characters as any show continuation.

omikron and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

Wife and I just finished the 2 seasons. We loved it, so glad this was picked up by Netflix. Karate Kid was a big movie from my childhood, so I was glad they kept it true to the original. Can’t wait for the next season to start streaming!

GodShifter, omikron and musicarus like this.
  10. PeterTheLittlePest

PeterTheLittlePest Active Member

A literal sequel or " just like/under another name "?

11. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

I believe it was initially released on the YouTube streaming service, and went under the radar. It was then picked up by Netflix where it has gained popularity.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. PeterTheLittlePest

PeterTheLittlePest Active Member

Thank.you, however, I was asking about the show itself, not its exposure.

13. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

Yes, it’s kind of like a sequel to the first movie that picks up 30+ years later. What’s cool is that the same actors from the original movie play Johnny and Daniel in the series.

14. dkmonroe

It's very much a sequel.

15. My wife and I knocked out the series a few weeks ago and absolutely loved it. I thought the cheesiness of the series was one of its charms. Can't wait for the next season.

polchik, omikron, musicarus and 3 others like this.
  16. Warzawa

Warzawa The Starman

Ive lost count how many times ive seen seasons 1 and 2 Ive been hooked since it came out, definitely glad Season 3 is not far away and more glad there will be a season 4 was a huge fan of the Karate Kid franchise (the first two being the best) and this is def staying true to that dynamic. Im gonna binge it again I think before season 3 just so its fresh :)

mpayan, Playloud, omikron and 3 others like this.
  17. dkmonroe

I've plowed through it at least three times and will probably do so again with my daughter before the Season 3 premiere. It's really addictive! And the half-hour format is quite fun, it seems like there's always time for one more episode. :laugh:

18. Warzawa

Warzawa The Starman

I know right! I remember i got free trials of Youtube Premium or whatever when they first came out and i think in that month free trial i watched both seasons a few times, then a few more when it came to Netflix its prob the one show i am looking forward to more than any other

MikaelaArsenault and dkmonroe like this.
  19. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Man, January 2021 couldn't come any closer.

20. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

Lost most interest in this show. Maybe at some point I'll want to find out what new misunderstanding/act of war happens from the drunk daughter.
    All the kids bore me and the adults run in at the Mexican restaurant was dumb start to finish.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. Dok

Dok Senior Member

22. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Was that Kumiko and Chozen from Part II in the trailer? Giddyup!

23. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I’m still interested. Yet when something I like comes back, I’m always like “damn, one more thing to keep track of when I never have enough time as it is”. However, a good problem to have when it’s a quality show you enjoy.

24. Dok

Dok Senior Member

25. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident