Cocktail Audio x45 does it all

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Leroyd, May 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leroyd

Leroyd Forum Resident Thread Starter

Looks like a very interesting and accomplished unit.

Anyone on here have any experience of this ?

Brother_Rael likes this.
  2. thomaskong

thomaskong Forum Resident

I had been happy with Cocktail Audio x12 and x30 for last 6 years.

They had worked fine.

But I had used them to feed my Dac, EmmLab Dac2 and Chord Dave, HMS not as CD player.

But they are also decent as standalone CD player not very best.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  3. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

I have the X40 for 2.5 years now. It had a technical problem about 6 months ago, which was dealt with under warranty. It has a bit of a learning curve because it does so much. In fact, besides amplifying, it does everything!
    From time to time I contacted them by mail (Cocktailaudio is Korean) when I had a question regarding firmware updates or other questions and they have always been helpfull.
    I have a 5TB hard disc installed in mine.
    If you have more questions, shoot !

4. Leroyd

Thanks for the info. The cd player side will not be the primary role of the unit for me. I want to rip all I have to the hard drive, together with streaming. Getting old and lazy so just want to do it all from the comfort of my chair. Indeed I plan to ripa my top 50 Lp's onto the unit. Sonically I hope it holds up. The X45 should be an upgrade on the x40 in that regard as it uses a better DAC chip from what I gather.

5. Leroyd

Thank you for the reply. I am not the best with tech, so hopefully the learning curve will not be too steep. I will have to have it shipped to me so 'try before you buy' is not possible.
    The plan is to run my turntable with my external phonostage into the analogue lline- in of the X45. If I am correct, this will allow me to get rid of my Primare pre 32 pre amp and go directly from the the X45. Into my poweramp. What is your opinion of this arrangement?
    Assumong that works I will be able to sell the preamp. Obviously the hope is to also sell on my Primare CD32, as the X 45 will take care of ripping and playing CD's.
    I guess my hope is that the X45 matches up to the audio quality of my Primare kit mentioned, that I plan to replace.

6. Leroyd

Anybody else on here have any comments ob this unit?

7. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

The X45 is different from the x40 because it uses a dual dac chip (one for each channel) vs a single of the x40, which is believed to be better.
    If the x45 is the same as the x40 then yes, you can use your phono stage into the analog in of the x45 and just use your x45 as a preamp. The x40 output can be switched between variable and fixed so if the x45 is the same, so yes you can use it as a preamp and sell your other. The main reason for me to buy the x40 was actually the same as you, I wanted to rip my cds to the hard disc from my lazy seat, while just listening to other music. I use an external keyboard with it, and a usb dongle into the x40. This way I can edit all the tag info if needed....from my lazy seat, keyboard on my lap. X40 is connected to an external screen (before I just had it connected to my tv) so it is easy to view all info...from my lazy seat :D.
    There is also a possibility to edit tag info of ripped cds through the web browser. But a minimum of pc/multimedia basic knowledge is needed I think to be completely happy with a unit like this. It will help you to solve some small niggles that might occur (such as wifi issues, connections and so on).

Oh, my x40 has a very elaborated manual, which explains everything very well but it is one of the bigger manuals I have ever seen in audio. Just because this unit has so much possibilities really !

I don't know your primare preamp. I used my x40 for a while as a preamp (it can also be run balanced) until I got a tube Schiit Saga which I found to be better. I would grade its preamp possibilities (of the x40!) as most external DAC's with preamp possibilities : OK but can be bettered by many dedicated preamps. Only comparing your primare to the x45 will tell you which sounds best.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    thomaskong likes this.
  8. Leroyd

Many thanks for such a detailed response. It sounds like the x45 could be exactly what I am looking for. Quite a unique unit that has little competition. The imoroved DAC arrangement suggests it should shine sonically.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.