Collection Buy Price

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by jim249, Jul 21, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jim249

jim249 Forum Resident Thread Starter

As a general rule, what will a used record store pay for a collection? I would guess pennies on the dollar.

2. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

My recent experience is pennies on the dollar. CD inventories are shrinking fast locally. I only take trade credit for what I bring in to use to purchase others and it is darn near a waste of time to do that. In my opinion, if you have the patience, I would put your entire catalog on Discogs. Then I would look at the selling prices for your collection. Whatever the very lowest number is that would be my best guess as to what you might get. Now if you are referring to vinyl or if you have a high percentage of collectible or audiophile releases the number might be more toward with the average or the mean value.

At least if you have someway or predetermining the value of your library then if you decide to sell individually (remember, shipping cost, packaging cost) or as a whole to a local shop you will at least have a somewhat realistic idea of where you stand.

LordThanos1969 and bigbass like this.
  3. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Record stores need to charge more than they paid, and they have overheads.
    They also don't know if the right customer is going to come in for what you have, and they have to pay out upfront.

Based on that, selling a whole collection to a record store, you will lose big time.

If you have time to sell them through the forum section, or discogs, ebay or whatever, you will likely get better prices, but of course it will take a lot longer...

Hard call.
    I hope you find what's right for you

4. glowtone

glowtone Forum Resident

In my experience on both sides of these transactions, stores typically pay 15-25% of the low end value of a collection. And that’s assuming it’s a good, 100% resellable collection. A 75-85% loss is a hell of a convenience fee, but selling a large collection one piece at a time is a special kind of agony so it’s usually worth taking the financial hit.

Maurice likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.