Colorized Stooges look great!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Beatlelennon65, Aug 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member Thread Starter

I have seen the new colorized Stooges dvd and it looks great! There are three or four shorts per dvd and they are in black and white and color. You guys have never seen colorization like this! I was more than a little put off when my friend mentioned he had colorized Stooges, but when I saw it, WOW! Please look for yourself before you judge. If you dont like the colorized shorts, the b and w are on the dvd too. How do you expect any new fans to get into the Stooges if they dont colorize them? You know how kids are today, they will barely watch a movie thats twenty years old, much less in b and w. These dvds look great and I cant wait to buy my own copy!
    Rob

2. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Because they're funny. To quote Roger Ebert, if he doesn't mind,

"There will always be those who love old movies. I meet teenagers who are astonishingly well-informed about the classics. But you are right that many moviegoers and video viewers say they do not "like" black and white films. In my opinion, they are cutting themselves off from much of the mystery and beauty of the movies.

Black and white is an artistic choice, a medium that has strengths and traditions, especially in its use of light and shadow. Moviegoers of course have the right to dislike b&w, but it is not something they should be proud of. It reveals them, frankly, as cinematically illiterate.

I have been described as a snob on this issue. But snobs exclude; they do not include. To exclude b&w from your choices is an admission that you have a closed mind, a limited imagination, or are lacking in taste.

Copyright © Chicago Sun-Times Inc."

3. bob g.

bob g. Senior Member

better than this? ;)

Attached Files:

4. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

The only colorized shorts I'll see are in my underwear drawer! :laugh:

5. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

6. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

http://www.sonypictures.com/homevideo/threestooges(colorized)goofsontheloosestoogedconfoosed2pack/title-navigation-9.html

Here's a link to real clips. The skin tone is still weird but evgerything else looks good. Everyone looks well tanned.

7. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

http://www.sonypictures.com/homevideo/threestooges(colorized)goofsontheloosestoogedconfoosed2pack/title-navigation-4.html

8. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Wow, that's very impressive. Aside from the historical aspect, which I'll grant you has much weight, from a technology standpoint that colourization is unreal.

9. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

That's what struck me about the images posted, and the video clips I just viewed. It does look like they took the time to do it historically (hysterically? ;) ) correct. And the best part is, the b&w versions are available on the same disc.

Just preordered mine from Amazon. :thumbsup:

10. RDK

RDK Active Member

They could do Peter Max 3-D versions for all I care so long as the original (and restored) b&w versions are on the disc too...

11. bob g.

bob g. Senior Member

Looks like fun for the Stooges, but I'll not look forward to anyone messing with Hedy Lamarr or June Marlowe.

12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

...can someone please post a link on the clips? I came up empty on the above address. Thanks!

13. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Amen to that!!! :D No matter how clever they get with colorizing B&W film, the one thing they can never get correct are fleshtones. They always have that nasty artificial looking orange tint to them.

14. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member Thread Starter

It's still waaaaaaaaaayyyyy better than anything I have seen to this point. I love old b and w movies, but I will watch these in b and w and color. It's almost like comparing mono and stereo!

15. michael w

michael w New Member

And that is the crux of it , it's unreal.

It's still a bastardization of a historical document.

Pass.

16. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Ebert: "I have been described as a snob on this issue. But snobs exclude; they do not include. To exclude b&w from your choices is an admission that you have a closed mind, a limited imagination, or are lacking in taste."

:agree: :righton:

17. -=Rudy=-

Just for the record, I'm open minded enough to give the colorized versions a close look. The tech geek in me wants to see how well they've done the colorization, especially since the still images look so sharp and rich. And the part of me that likes novelty will be intrigued by the color versions. If I want historically correct versions, or the colorization bugs me after awhile, the B&W versions are right there on the same disc as well. (Smart move on Sony's part, IMHO.) No reason I can't view and enjoy both, is there? It's the same as buying a DVD with both the widescreen and pan/scan versions on it--if you don't like one of the presentations, ignore it. :thumbsup:

18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Don't need no link...Duh! It's up there.:rolleyes:

19. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I do have to admit that those pics look pretty good, colorwise...and that photo of Moe as Herr Fuhrer never fails to make me laugh! :laugh:

Evan

20. -=Rudy=-

I dug out my crappy Stooges DVD last night and watched "Disorder In The Court." :laugh:

"Truth is stranger than fiction, judgey-wudgey!"

"Vernacular? That's a doiby!"

"Do you swear?" "No, but I know all the woids!"

Nyuk nyuk etc... :D

21. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

"Trapped like rats!" "Speak for yourself!" :laugh:

Evan

22. rmos

rmos Forum Resident

OOOhhhh ... a micro-phonie!!!

And a phony at the mike!!!

WOO-WOO-WOO!!!

23. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I was going to buy one of these today until I saw the price....$20! At Wal-Mart! :bigeek:

Evan

24. -=Rudy=-

You mean the new colorized Stoogies? Egad, I bought both for $31.47 from Amazon, free shipping. (They're in a package deal together.)

And...they're not even due to be released until Tuesday. (Unless Wal*Wart got an exclusive on it.)

25. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Hmmm, I'm not too impressed having just watched the clips. They still have the strange quality that all colorized movies have - they look like old hand-tinted photos. I think there is a limit to how realistic an artificially colorized film can look - you will never be able to accurately recreate the natural colour variations (both in tone and detail) created by light relecting off objects in the real world if you only have a black and white film to work from :shake:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.