Colorized Stooges look great!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Beatlelennon65, Aug 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KLM

KLM Senior Member

Colorization aside, are the shorts worth the price of admission and is this the only collection that they are available?

2. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

The shorts are also in black and white on the DVD as well. There are several different collections available. As for Wal-Mart, they may well have gotten advance copies to sell.

Evan

3. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Or they're selling them before street date. Ehhhay wise guys! :D

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

..problem is, many of us own most of the currently available Stooges dvd's...I own 12, they had the nerve to re-release some of the SAME shorts on the Colorized versions! If you own the others, your screwed. Why couldn't they just continue the series without duplication? I figure after they complete the series, a complete BOX SET will become available for half the price.:laugh:.

5. BZync

BZync Senior Member

I hope this isn't considered a thread crap - 'cause it is related (but it may takes this discussion in a different direction).

George Lucas commented on the Stooges colorization:

"Star Wars" creator George Lucas, who testified with Steven Spielberg before Congress in the 1980s against colorization and other forms of alteration, said the process yanks such slapstick performers as the Stooges out of the black-and-white universe they belong in.

"Would color distract from their comedy and make it not as funny anymore?" Lucas said. "Maybe just the fact that they're in black and white makes it funny, because their humor is dated. But by putting it in black and white, it puts it in a context where you can appreciate it for what it was.

"But you try to make it in full living color and try to compare it to a Jim Carrey movie, then it's hard for young people to understand. Because you're then thinking you're comparing apples to apples, when you're not. You're comparing apples to oranges. I'm saying it's not fair to the artist."

To say the least, I find his comments ironic.

-BZync

6. BZync

BZync Senior Member

And THEN I saw the same quote in the Star Wars thread. Sorry for the duplication.

-BZync

7. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

That's an understatement. :agree: His changes to the Star Wars Trilogy "color" those films as well.

But hey, I'm not as upset about the Stooges' colorization as it has the B&W versions on the same disc...my choice. Likewise, I still have my old LDs of the Trilogy to watch, even though I'll have the new DVD set when it comes out.

8. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

I disagree COMPLETELY, men.

Those Stooges color clips were INCREDIBLE. They have the look of Technicolor, which is what they would have been shot in.

Keep in kind.....that The Stooges shorts were filmed in Black and White had NOTHING whatsoever to do with "artistic Integrity" . The studio was looking film the Stooges as cheaply as possible. They didnt use any of the Black and white tricks with shadow, etc.....they just wanted to churn out as many shorts as possible on the Columbia lot.

These colorized versions are just amazing. How could ANY stooge fan look at these and not like them???

9. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

More like comparing mono and 5.1 processed from mono....in other words:

:hurl: :hurlleft:

:ed:

10. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

That's pretty much how Moe Howard described it in his autobiography.

FWIW, the DVDs look fine to me. Just got 'em Friday. I must say that the colorization on these is the best I've ever seen. The clips online do not do them justice. (The clips I saw looked horrible, actually...typical online streaming video. :shake: ) The stills posted above are way more representative of how the finished product looks. Contrast is also very nice--it doesn't have that washed-out look or the annoying color halos I've seen on some of MGM's colorized movies that have appeared on TV over the years. The "tech geek" in me is amazed at how they pull this off, which is why I like the "novelty" aspect of it.

Can't say I'll always watch the color over the black & white, but I do have my choice. The menu actually lets you view all in color, all in b&w, and a third is "chroma choice" where you can switch between modes using the "angle" feature of your DVD player. I have no problem with future releases like this, as long as a clean print of the original b&w version is presented on the same disc.

And BTW, for you non-believers, no thread crapping here. :) The following thread covers the "no colorization, please" discussion:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=37532

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.