Columbo, Rockford Files, Kojak

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Brian Lux, Jun 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd Thread Starter

Falk, , Garner, Savalas, three cool cats, three great shows.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

I'm a latecomer to Columbo, but have been watching it regularly on MeTV. Enjoyed last week's entry; one of the Patrick McGoohan episodes, 'Ashes to Ashes.' I like Rockford, but prefer James Garner in Maverick (or even his short-lived series, Nichols). Kojak, I have never warmed up to, even though I like Telly Savalis.

3. digdug67

digdug67 Hockley's Hits Here!

Loved all three but Rockford was my favorite. "Angel!!!!!"

4. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I'm a huge Kojak person almost from the show's beginning. I loved the 'gritty' feel of the show. Cars on dirty streets, tenements, grimy alleys, etc.

Some of you might enjoy this. When I was a soph @ PSU, I was the only one with a TV (a small B&W). No cable in those days. Reception from my room (facing in to a quad) was mediocre at best. On the other side of the dorm, it faced a huge parking lot. Two seniors on that side (the coolest guys on the floor) made a deal with me--they borrowed the TV almost full time and in return I could come in every night around 10:30 for Kojak (and 'by appointment' for other programs). The reception really was great. One night while Theo was on, the door gets locked and the one guy pulls out a pound of weed and scales. He then cuts and dilutes (you know what I mean) the stuff and bags it. I was freaking out inside--I did a lot of weed in HS and college, but I was a small town kid, never knew a dealer. Needless to say, I passed that test and sometimes I was allowed to sample the raw stash, all due to my crappy little TV.

5. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

All part of Universal's "Cop's name" assembly line:

Rockford
    Columbo
    Kojak
    Baretta
    McCloud
    McMillan
    Banacek
    Quincy

Somebody should write a book about this sub-genre, as there was plenty of drama behind the scenes, inspiring Jack Klugman's classic line: "I'm not difficult, I'm just taking Peter Falk lessons from Robert Blake!". All these stars, aside from Garner, Hudson, and perhaps Weaver, became known for not always being totally cooperative on the set, although Blake and Peppard were especially notorious for making demands.

Maverick is great but I think Rockford is even better -- Garner had really perfected his technique by that time. Nichols (Garner's own favorite, FWIW) is more interesting than completely successful. It has a shaggy-dog, meandering quality that is intriguing but not really suited to a TV series.

6. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Rockford gets my votes as the best one. Kojak was good too and I watched it each week with my dad. Columbo was ok but I did not always watch it each week.

willy and melstapler like this.
  7. Frozensoda

Frozensoda Forum Resident

"There's just one more thing...":love:

8. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

Dragnet and Adam 12 were also Universal.

9. Jason Pumphrey

That is a great later Columbo episode, the late Rue McClanahan was the victim in Ashes to Ashes.

ian christopher and Juggsnelson like this.
  10. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

But they didn't adhere to the Lone Crusader template, breaking rules and busting heads to get things done!

Scooterpiety likes this.
  11. Jason Pumphrey

The British show The Sweeney certainly did that, of course not a Universal show...

Brickie and Simon A like this.
  12. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

Love The Rockford Files. You can watch the episodes in order and watch James Garner age about 15 years in the space of 6 thanks to all the stuntwork he did. It jumped the shark after Beth left, though.:(:love:

13. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

Reminds me that in 1975 Jack Palance was on Johnny Carson to promote his detective show "Bronx" and they kiddingly talked about the gimmick/hook that differentiated "Bronk" from the 47 other detective shows. At least ai think it was Palance.

I've only ever seen one "Rockford File". Columbo strikes me as more about a character while Kodak was more about Telly Savalas's character.

ian christopher likes this.
  14. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Rockford Rules.

15. Brian Lux

Yes, Angel! Stuart Margolin played that part so well. Love him, drove you nuts all at the same time!

fr in sc, EdgardV and bpmd1962 like this.
  16. Brian Lux

Beth was great! Loved Gretchen Corbett's work on that show!

Garner talks about his injuries in one of the DVD extras. Definitely went the extra mile. And what a driver!

We have most of the DVDs if all three shows and after seeing them over the years I would be hard pressed to say which I like best- pretty much each one for different reasons. Rockford for being so cool and down to earth, Columbo for being quirky and lovable, Kojak for being like an invincible force with an underlying big heart.

Three cool cats and marvelous co-stars and sidekicks all around.

17. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

18. Andre Acvedo

Andre Acvedo Sargento Primero

What a fantastic format Columbo was. One of the best for sure. I Owen all the episodes.

Jimmy B., Mbe, Xabby and 1 other person like this.
  19. monovinyl

monovinyl Senior Member

James Garner is legendary! Rockford Files is one of very best TV shows ever (IMHO)...been watching the entire series in order on BR. Excellent quality. It's very interesting to see California in it's awesome 1970's glory.

jamesc, EdgardV, averica and 11 others like this.
  20. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Old post I know but...I agree I thought Gretchen Corbett was great on the show and was disappointed when I realised she was no longer in the show. I had to wiki it :)

I've gone through both the Columbo and Rockford series, more than once over the years. Wasn't inclined to get any Kojak dvds though. But one my earliest memories of TV is actually of Kojak.

When I was a little kid, our living room doubled as my bedroom. At bedtime the french doors would close, creating my bedroom. I had a hard time going to sleep and the TV would help lull me to sleep. We had a really small black and white tv and I remember going to bed with Kojak on in the background (bedtime was very late I guess). I don't remember many of the episodes but I remember it being on.

ZippyPippy, Mbe and Brian Lux like this.
  21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

[​IMG]
    Less dated, at least the character.

andrewskyDE, daca, Jimmy B. and 3 others like this.
  22. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Favourite 70s series
    Kung Fu
    The Waltons
    Detective genre ..private eye Harry O

23. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

Columbo seems to be aging well, especially the 70s episodes. While they are of their time and the pacing is much slower than modern TV, they are still extremely watchable . The amount of humor really helps these episodes too, as it's basically a comedy as Columbo slowly tightens the noose around the murderers.

The format also remains somewhat unique, revealing the murderer to the audience right away. It shouldn't work, but it does.

I have nothing against the other shows listed above, but they don't entice me to watch them like Columbo does.

Jimmy B., Timos, inperson and 5 others like this.
  24. arley

arley Forum Resident

Columbo trivia: you never hear his first name, but in one episode you can see his ID--'Frank Columbo'.
    Sadly, toward the end of his life Peter Falk developed dementia, so badly that he couldn't remember he once played Columbo. IMHO, his greatest performance was opposite Alan Arkin in 'The In-Laws'--brilliant.

James Garner was always watchable, always likable. Mark Steyn wrote a great tribute to him on his passing a few years ago (irrespective of your feelings about Steyn's political commentaries, he's a terrific obituarist):

Chemistry Lessons: James Garner, 1928-2014

25. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Ummmm......and Wife...? :idea:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.