Columbo, Rockford Files, Kojak

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Brian Lux, Jun 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

He often got paired up with girls 2/5 his age it seems

2. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

livin' on the beach, solve some crimes, sleep with Farrah, the tough life of a PI

3. drgn95

drgn95 Under the Wire

Love me some "Rockfish". Funny I pulled out my Blu-ray box set recently and at random played the episode with Issac Hayes.

4. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

How is the Blu-Ray box? Good picture? I'm thinking of getting a Blu-Ray player.

5. drgn95

drgn95 Under the Wire

Excellent picture, though in 4:3 and stereo. Highly recommended.

6. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

ThAnks!

7. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Gumboo and Holy Diver like this.
  8. halfjapanese

halfjapanese Gifs moider!

Thanks for reminding why I didn’t stick with Kojak. Darren McGavin for the win!

Gumboo and lightbulb like this.
  9. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

Swoon !!

alexpop likes this.
  10. Gumboo

Gumboo Forum Resident

Columbo - hate
    Kojak - don't care for
    Rockford - the best!

11. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

trumpet sounds and Gumboo like this.
  12. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

i think his brother wrote for the show....great gilbert gotfried interview on gilberts podcast with him

Gumboo likes this.
  13. jtsjc1

jtsjc1 Forum Resident

Angel was hilarious. There were times I'd swear James Garner literally wanted to kick his ass. Great acting on both their parts.

blutiga, Jack Lord and Gumboo like this.
  14. inperson

inperson Senior Member

It seems all these shows can be bought on dvd or Blu-ray relatively cheaply except Quincy. Why are the Quincy DVD's still so high?

15. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

I've just finished season three of rockford on bluray. The final episode illustrates perfectly, everything that is brilliant about the show.
    I was brought up on this stuff alongside all the other shows listed above.
    There used to be a Saturday night slot on ITV called something like mystery movie. I can't remember the precise name. This showed stuff like macmillan and wife, banacek etc.
    Some shows were on BBC some on itv. Back then we only had three channels. But that was generally three channels of quality rather than the situation now. 300 channels of garbage.
    Also I'd factor in shows like Starkey and Hutch, knight rider etc
    S and H I still remember the pilot. It blew us all away. This was a particularly good show with some very serious shows with really good acting. Maybe the most memorable was when hutch lost his memory (or did he?) David Soul showed an entirely different side to his acting repertoire. The only downside was when they allowed PMG direct. These shows were generally substandard due to his pretentious camera work
    Knight rider is one of the true greats. Wow that show is pure cheese and class
    Let's hear it for Magnum. Absolutely brilliant show.
    And quantum leap.
    Maybe tj Hooker was a league down but it was shatner as kirk as usual being everybody's favourite red neck who shot first, shot again and shot again. No need for questions.
    What a marvelous set of shows that really moved the genres on after they more sober approach of the 60s.
    Omg. What about hawaii five 0?.
    And Ironside?
    So many American shows were absolutely brilliant. Childhood wouldn't have been the same without them
    In fact without them I may be less bonkers now
    Heaven forbid!!!?

digdug67 likes this.
  16. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Don't worry -- Quincy will find out even if he has to testify before a government committee!

eddiel, blutiga and inperson like this.
  17. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

SilkHammer and eddiel like this.
  18. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I remember the S and H pilot being really good; the first series being decent, but after that, it was awful. The original TV movie for Kojak was outstanding, the show's impact lessened over the years, but the cast kept the interest. Rockford and Harry O are the two I really liked, though I recall liking Ironside when I was a kid...

19. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

I watched Columbo & Kojak a bit. Rockford regularly.

20. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

A book could be written about the PI shows alone.

21. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

I remember watching Ving's new Kojak series when it aired about 15 years ago. It was a good show, although hardcore fans of the classic Kojak series had a hard time separating it from Telly's version. Wouldn't mind having this series on DVD.

Scope J likes this.
  22. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I remember the Kojak movie as well. Very serious..first two rapes/murders, then racial prejudice. They gave you a clue about the perp in the first few minutes if you were quick enough to spot it.

smilin ed likes this.
  23. inperson

inperson Senior Member

Just want to let you know because of your post I went to Amazon and bought the complete Cannon on DVD.

24. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Hard to believe he was only 48 when he died in 1980 and the show finished in 76. Granted, he looked a lot older.

25. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

If coronavirus keeps up, I think a box set of Rockford might be in order.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.