Comedian & Actor Richard Belzer, 1944-2023 R.I.P.*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Feb 19, 2023.

1. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

My favorite of his comedy bits was where he pointed out that Mick Jagger moved like a "rooster on acid".

Once seen, you can never unsee that.

I thought he was a great comedian, and I didn't really see any of the shows that he was on. But I can't blame any stand up comic for taking acting work - a steady paycheck, and a strong union, as opposed to scrambling to make a living from day to day working comedy clubs.

RIP.

3. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

If you can find it - definitely worth watching. It's intetesting to see the Munch character in full flow rather than the somewhat truncated version you get later in L&O. And it's a great show anyhow (at least up until the last season...)

czeskleba and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  4. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Mr. Richard Jay Belzer 1944 – 2023.

The "Belz' Smirk" will remain being worth its weight in Gold.

Rest In Peace, Belz’.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2023
  5. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

He definitely shrunk on SVU, but in the first season he's somewhat his regular self. There's even one or two episodes where he's the center of attention.

6. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

RIP, Another good one gone.

7. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

Loved The way Stern would roast him,Very funny guy

8. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

It is on YouTube if you search for it, but a word of warning: it is freaky.

Belzer's bouncing back and going to commercial on auto-pilot is pretty remarkable, though.

ianuaditis likes this.
  9. Reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw on a car years ago: "****you, you ****ing ****".
    And RIP to Mr. Belzer, whose last words will be immortalized.

Somebody mentioned his Mick Jagger impression.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2023
  10. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

he has an interesting series of books out there. His wry sense of humor throughout.

11. ex_mixer

ex_mixer Senior Member

R.I.P - He will always be my favorite TV Cop. Here's a free link to his NY Time obit.

Richard Belzer, Detective Munch on ‘Law & Order: S.V.U.,’ Dies at 78

Wow, what a tough upbringing and life. These bits were interesting as well:

"In 1990, he found financial stability in a characteristically absurd and brutal fashion. Five years earlier, Hulk Hogan, demonstrating a wrestling move on Mr. Belzer on TV, knocked out the comic and dropped him headfirst to the ground. An out-of-court settlement enabled Mr. Belzer and Ms. McBride to buy a home in France, which they called variously the Hulk Hogan Estate and Chez Hogan."

"In 1975, he began working as a warm-up comic for the “Saturday Night Live” audience, but his friend Lorne Michaels did not invite him to join the cast. Mr. Belzer accused Mr. Michaels of breaking a promise to him — a charge Mr. Michaels did not comment on to People."

MikaelaArsenault, Vidiot and Wright like this.
  12. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

R.I.P.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

One of the greatest talkshow guests in history. Always funny, witty, fast on his feet, but very sharp whenever I'd see him on Letterman or Leno or on the old Howard Stern Radio Show.

14. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Found the clip! Not SNL, but I had the timeframe right (1978). "Like a Rolling Gallstone" begins around 0:40.

:tiphat:

15. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

Thank you! :righton:

ex_mixer and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  16. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

The Groove Tube is so awful. Could never stand the amateurishness. He was excellent with the National Lampoon.

17. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

Rest in peace.
    :cry:

18. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Love Is Understanding

One of my personal favorite moments from Hot Properties was when Belz had James Darren as a guest. Belz asked him about his teen idol days and the talk turned to Darren's hit record "Goodbye Cruel World." They joked about it and Belz was ragging on it's hokiness. Darren maintained that he was thankful to have had a hit. Belz asked "Maybe you'd like to sing a few bars?" To Belz's shock, James Darren got up and performed the entire song. The show had a pretty small, but good band. It may have been planned, but Belz's subsequent reaction (shock and amusement) sure seemed genuine.

Belzer's book, How To Be A Stand Up Comic, was a favorite. His show and TV appearances were must see TV for me and my friends in our formative years. "Right, babe" or "Yeah, babe" said in our most smug and dismissive tone were repeated ad infinitum. I didn't follow his acting much after Homicide, but his Stern appearances were legendary and his podcast work and later books proved he never lost his edge. Glad he was around through a large part of the ride with/for me. A true loss. Bye, Belz. Thanks for the laughs.

19. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

F-bomb Alert… INCOMING!

“Sirius XM:Howard Stern Reminisces About Richard Belzer”.

20. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

R.I.P. I never watched the Law & Order shows, but I did catch his stand-up routine a few times when he would warm up for bands at The Bottom Line in NYC. First time I heard a comedian use the F word.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2023
    beccabear67 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  21. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

Regarding The Groove Tube, in their book on the history of Saturday Night Live, Doug Hill and Jeff Weingrad included a chapter on movies, television shows, radio shows and theater productions that were precursors to the show, in one way or another. It's a short history, but they include The Groove Tube. It's an interesting story of you're into this kind of thing.

22. Ken Shapiro was a visionary and Lorne definitely had Ken's concept in mind when he started Saturday Night. No coincidence that Chevy and Belz were Channel One cast members

Last edited: Feb 22, 2023
  23. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

For me, part of its charm. YMMV, of course.

Peter_R and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The Howard Stern Show got a lot worse once they stopped having talented comics like Belzer and Gilbert Gottfried on as guests.

25. nutsfortubes

nutsfortubes They tried to kill us, and we won!

RIP. Homicide life on the streets was one of the best shows on network television and the Belz was always fun on Howard.

BobbyG and MikaelaArsenault like this.