Comic Strip discussion thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by R79, Apr 6, 2022.

1. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

I hadn't seen it mentioned here but if any of you get a chance, check out a documentary called Stripped. It was released in 2014 and it has interviews with quite a few cartoonists where they talk about dealing with syndicates, how they handle deadlines, the future of comic strips in the age of declining newspapers, and so on. It can be on Amazon Prime and (I think) Apple+.

beccabear67 likes this.
  2. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Peanuts
    The Far Side
    B.C.
    Funky Winkerbean
    Crankshaft
    Hi and Lois
    Beetle Bailey
    Hägar the Horrible
    Lolly
    Krazy Kat
    Marmaduke
    The Better Half
    Family Circus
    Mutt and Jeff
    The Born Loser
    Mark Trail
    Wizard of Id
    Archie
    Nancy
    Henry

Chemguy likes this.
  3. Mario500

Mario500 Forum Resident

?

4. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

The only comic strip artist I remember meeting in person is Morrie Turner of Wee Pals, and our paper never carried that. They had a big Cartoon Festival event here at The Empress Hotel in the '80s which had a lot of comic strip and animation guests and the auction for charity included artwork by Schultz and many others. I talked a lot with an older man who worked on The Yellow Submarine but sadly did not have the appreciation then... I wished someone who did could have had that time with him. He was telling me things from behind-the-scenes that I just couldn't follow to be honest. I also probably could've gotten an autograph or something, some were doing sketches for attendees... it was a pretty major event with Disney, Marvel, and DC people there, I think someone from King syndicate definitely? There was a Betty Boop walking around. I got to meet Sergio Aragones! :cool:

Alan G. and eeglug like this.
  5. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Several of my favorite strips.

6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Stephan Pastis of "Pearls Before Swine" did the National Book Festival back in 2015 and I went.

He did a chat/Q&A and then a signing where he also drew characters in the books.

Very well-attended!

beccabear67 likes this.
  7. Not Trending

Not Trending Forum Resident

Here's a story that aired today on "CBS Sunday Morning":

Bill Blackbeard was something of a superhero. During his lifetime, he collected and preserved 2.5 million ephemeral artifacts of comic strip art, including newspapers and Sunday color sections dating as far back as 1893. Treasures from his collection are now featured in a new exhibit, "Man Saves Comics," at the Billy Ireland Cartoon Library & Museum at Ohio State University. Correspondent Luke Burbank reports.

8. Mario500

Mario500 Forum Resident

"The art of cartooning" (article with a video)"

9. Mario500

Mario500 Forum Resident

10. Bea Jonas

Bea Jonas Forum Resident

Over at his blog, Mark Evanier says Russell Myers work on Broom-Hilda appears to have set a rather impressive record.

Witches Live Forever – News From ME

Mooglander and listner_matt like this.
  11. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

12. Mario500

Mario500 Forum Resident

sloaches and trumpet sounds like this.
  13. Mario500

Mario500 Forum Resident

(note: certain audio of this video found to had been linguistically vulgar (or profane) between these points of its length: 16:26 - 16:31)

trumpet sounds and EdgardV like this.
  14. Stooben

Stooben Forum Resident

Dilbert.

15. Oatsdad

What about it?

16. Stooben

Stooben Forum Resident

I’m a man of few words, ‘Dilbert’ being one of them.

johnod likes this.
  17. Oatsdad

:rolleyes:

18. Stooben

Stooben Forum Resident

Exactly.

19. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

Ni!

20. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

EdgardV likes this.
  21. Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent "The Member" formerly known as 'Well-Known Member'

I was going back to college, and taking some accounting classes, when Charlie Brown hit his first home run, ever. I, and the teacher, were the only ones who knew what I was talking about, lol

22. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I’ll always cherish the email response I got from Johnny Hart many years ago.

He and Sparky are my all-time faves.

23. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I haven't read comic strips regularly in a long while, although I did like Nancy growing up.

Once I got on the Internet I found the following comic strip that I followed (with a small introduction for those not familiar):

Kevin & Kel:
    Set in a world where anthropomorphic animals have developed a human-like civilization. However, the rules of Predator and Prey are still in effect, and the world is divided by what you eat (herbivores, carnivores, insectivors, omnivores). The strip starts with Kevin, a 6-foot tall white rabbit, started an on-line relationship with Kel after his wife left him. Without ever meeting they fell in love. Unfortunately, when they met in person they discovered an issue: Kel is a wolf. Despite their differences they got married (at the wedding they had to put barbed wife between his family and hers) and managed to make it work. A very funny strip with some computer-based humor (Kevin runs an ISP).

24. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Forum Resident

25. Mario500

Mario500 Forum Resident

"barbed wife"?