Coming to the US: Pioneer Elite UDP-LX500 Hi-Res Disc Player with stereo analog outputs $999.00*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by soundboy, Jul 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member Thread Starter

A lot smaller after most already purchased an Oppo when it closed up shop.

ti-triodes, Billy Budapest and scobb like this.
  2. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Some posts in this thread re the mass drop have been removed and I’m wondering why.
    My comment in particular wasn’t even remotely controversial or off topic.
    Not really complaining just asking

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  3. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Geez, wrong thread, nothing was removed, at least not any of my posts
    Doh!
    :hide:

4. The whole drop an “error?” Weird. I’ve never seen that before on Massdrop.

5. Pioneer may have very well stepped in and blocked the sale price. Massdrop may not have been getting their units directly from Pioneer in the first place, but one of their dealers.

6. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

The analogs on LX800 are PCM also. As are the OPPO 203 and 205. The internal DAC’s convert the digital signal to analog.

I don’t pretend to know every piece of equipment out there. Are there any players that output DSD via the analogs?

7. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

OK I'm surprised again, I thought the Oppo gave you the choice of DSD or PCM via analogue! Now I'm second guessing myself as I was under the impression that the latest Yamaha's, Esoteric's, Luxman's, I think, Marantz's and I thought Pioneer's more expensive CD/SACD players were all able to play native DSD via analogue?

8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

In the 205 manual it states that "DSD data is converted into an analog signal directly by the internal DAC". I don't see any mention of a DSD to PCM then to analog conversion. http://download.oppodigital.com/UDP20X/UDP-205_User_Manual_English_V1.0.0.pd.f Also in the LX500 manual it's not as clear about DSD and the analog output. It states in the LX500 manual "Depending on the settings, for DSD MCH audio, 2 channels are output on the front left and right". Again no mention of PCM conversion unless I missed it.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  9. Guss2

Guss2 Senior Member

The original SCD-1. As far as the new stuff, no idea.

ti-triodes likes this.
  10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'm kind of curious as to why some believe that DSD is converted to PCM for the analog outputs of the LX500 and Oppo players as well. I ask as maybe I missed something when reading the LX500 and Oppo 205 manuals.

11. soundboy

Page 60 of the Oppo 205 User Manual, but that's an option. In the words of Oppo, "....if you prefer the sound quality of the DSD-to-PCM conversion."

Page 61 of the Oppo 205 User manual describe how one can get DSD converted directly to analog to output through the analog outputs.

12. Rocketstail

Rocketstail Forum Resident

New item coming soon .... PioneerElite UDP-LX500 HDR UHD 4K Blu-ray Disc Player

Still $200 more than I paid.

13. Nesto719

Nesto719 Active Member

The player decodes the dsd internally and you get dsd playback using analog out . This Isn’t hard

progrocker and Hymie the Robot like this.
  14. soundboy

While the Pioneer's User Manual didn't come right and describe whether a conversion from DSD to PCM was done, I am leaning towards no PCM conversion.

15. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I use the PCM or DSD setting of the 205 quite often. I use PCM for multichannel SACDs (HDMI) and DSD for stereo or mono SACDs (XLR analog).
    No it isn't. But the LX500 manual doesn't explain it very well.

Nesto719 likes this.
  16. Nesto719

Nesto719 Active Member

On the oppos you can tell you’re getting dsd playback due to the dsd indicator lit up, not sure how the pioneer lights up

Bill Mac likes this.
  17. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I just looked at the LX500 manual and there isn't a detailed description of the front panel display. Kind of lame when you compare that to Oppo manuals that show the front panel display in detail. I wonder if there is any DSD indication on the OSD with the LX500. There is with Oppo players and of course on the front panel display.

https://intl.pioneer-audiovisual.com/manuals/docs/SN29403453_UDP-LX500_En_180703_web.pdf (page 14 shows item #3 "Front panel display" with no details)

http://download.oppodigital.com/UDP20X/UDP-205_User_Manual_English_V1.0.0.pdf (page 6 shows the front panel display in detail)

18. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    Hymie the Robot likes this.
  19. Nesto719

Nesto719 Active Member

Pretty lame for the price they are asking .

20. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I agree. It shows why Oppo players are so well regarded. Oppo players are known for having excellent features down to the smallest details.

stereoptic and Nesto719 like this.
  21. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Pardon my brain fart since I spread the wrong info. I listen to analog via tube amps so DSD doesn’t affect me once it gets to the analogs.

A question. From what I understand DSD becomes a question mark after it leaves the player depending on what the receiver/processor does with it. Doesn’t it get converted to PCM if you use bass management and EQ?

22. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

If the player is outputting DSD via analogue, as long as you don't process it at the amplification stage, then you are hearing the recording in DSD through your speakers no matter if you have a solid state or tube amplifier (said amplifier and speakers will obviously add their signature sound but it is DSD).

ti-triodes and PhantomStranger like this.
  23. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

It depends upon the processor but most do convert DSD to PCM automatically. I have an Emotiva XMC-1 and if it receives a DSD signal it does not convert it to PCM. When playing a multichannel SACD I set the 205 to PCM to take advantage of Dirac. If I leave the 205 set to DSD the XMC-1 will play the multichannel SACD in DSD 5.1 direct.

ti-triodes likes this.
  24. Rocketstail

Rocketstail Forum Resident

Well, I just ordered another LX500 and I'm told it will be the end of November before Pioneer Canada gets them back in stock again. :rolleyes:

25. Omnio

Omnio _ _ _ ____ ____ _ _ _

I'm intrigued by these pioneer players. However, I have a collection of hdcds and pre-emphasis CDs, so can someone please confirm that these players can handle such formats?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.