Compare your cd playback to vinyl and post here. Please participate!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JazzPolice, May 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

No contest
    The CD is cleaner and has more separation and bandwidth

2. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

Agreed. Even on my laptop speakers, it was no contest. Playing it on my regular rig wouldn't change that.

3. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I preferred the first clip. Is that the CD or the LP?

4. missan

missan Forum Resident

The first clip is from the LP. Me I actually prefer the tonality from the LP. It is less clean but it is less compressed, more natural to me.

5. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

The first clip sounded like a veil had been lifted over the performance and was smothering it.

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  6. missan

missan Forum Resident

I don´t disagree, sort of, it´s just that the CD presentation has this typical compressed sound that I´m not that fond of, even if it can normally be much worse.

Balthazar likes this.
  7. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

Heard over a P.A. speaker:

"Ladies and Gentlemen, we regret to inform you that ALL veils have been lifted. Repeat all veils. There is no further veiling allowed.

zebop, Joe071 and Balthazar like this.
  8. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

Not being very familiar with that album, I have no idea how it should sound. I only know I preferred the second clip. You preferred the first. We all have different preferences. It's all good. I appreciate you going to the trouble to post the clips. I find a minute of samples more helpful than page sof discussion. I'll be curious to see which other people prefer.

missan likes this.
  9. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

The cd is not more compressed, its just got more bandwidth, clarity , separation and transparency.
    The LP is warmer,fuzzier,with a pronounced mid band and low level distortion artefacts
    Thanks for posting
    It well level matched, that is crucial.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  10. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

Here is what you're comparing. The CD clip (TT DR7) needs a -2.78 dB attenuation to be at the same perceived loudness as the LP clip (TT DR10). After that, the spectrum delta of 2 clips (or their equalization difference graph, if you prefer) looks as follows:

[​IMG]

Clearly, the 2 clips are very different in 1-10 kHz & 14-20 kHz frequency ranges.

Last edited: May 22, 2014
    kevintomb likes this.
  11. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

12. missan

missan Forum Resident

Thanks, yes they sound rather different to me. Higher frequencies is more 'nearer' which will to me mean that the CD is more compressed. I cannot see any resamblance with other factors, really, like lower distortion, bandwidth or whatever. In principle it would be no problem when mastering IMO to make the LP sound exactly like the CD.

13. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

Are you using an HDCD of Blue, by any chance? Blue HDCD is encoded with Peak Extend feature & track's soft-limited peaks can be restored by decoding (the HDCD-decoded 1:30min excerpt of Carey has a TT DR11, BTW). Regardless, the spectral delta of my HDCD excerpt & your LP clip (at equal perceived loudness) looks very similar to the CDvsLP graph I posted earlier:

[​IMG]

14. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

More HF doesnt mean its more compressed, its just got more bandwidth, the master would have sounded like that
    HiFi is meant to be full range fidelity, cds are not meant to sound like the LP.

Grant likes this.
  15. missan

missan Forum Resident

I looked and it is in fact a HDCD, never thought about that. Thanks.

16. jfine

jfine Forum Resident

Hmm. Wonder if that's part of the logic behind stuff like Led IV.

17. JazzPolice

JazzPolice Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Which turntable, phono pre, and cartridge are you using?

18. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

There may be a misleading danger lurking in your plots. On the face of things, for each plot left and right channels are combined into a "mid" channel, and that derived "mid" channel is what the spectrum analysis is performed on. Is that correct as you understand it?

It is not unusual for the "mid" for this kind of purpose to be derived by a simple summation of the left and right channels--as an example, Sound Forge Pro takes exactly this approach. With such an approach, if a left channel is a textbook phase inversion of the right channel, the "mid" formed from them would be a "no signal" flat line due to the perfect cancellation of the two stereo channels. Now that extreme case is unlikely, though you might make use of it to test how your process forms its analysis "mid" channel.

That said, what is possible with any recording that once lived on analog tape is that recording/playback heads were not perfectly azimuth aligned. An azimuth misalignment can, and will, mean that one channel is slightly delayed with respect to the other...and that leads to a degree of phase cancellation, of some amount, within a range of frequencies in the formed "mid" going into the spectrum analysis. In your case, if the CD and LP recordings do not have the same azimuth (mis)alignment, the comparative plotted spectrums will show effects of phase cancellation that the ear does not discern in typical two-channel stereo listening.

As a specific case, and using Joni Mitchell's Blue album track "All I Want", I found that the HDTracks version had an azimuth misalignment of 55.2 microseconds between the two channels. On the other hand, the DCC CD version of the same track had an azimuth misalignment of 25 microseconds between the two channels. Using a bit of arithmetic, that means the HDTracks version had the greatest phase cancellation in a range centered at 9058 Hz, the DCC version had the greatest phase cancellation in a range centered at 19231 Hz. Those effects were present in the plotted "mid" frequency spectrums but didn't have a lot to do with how things were actually heard.

19. I've tried to match my turntable sound & my CD sound as closely as possible with my meager funds & modest gear. I like big sound, with a nice holographic soundstage sporting smooth top-end & deep bass. It took a while to get it as close as possible, but it's not rocket-science.

20. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

You're more than welcome to present your own analysis of the said tracks... ;) I simply wanted to say that LP/CD clips are way different (according to Audacity spectrum exports).

21. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

The LP may have azimuth issues also
    Microseconds are unusual in audio, milliseconds more likely
    What is your point ?

Grant likes this.
  22. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

[​IMG]

I own this album on CD and vinyl. Using a Rega TT and CD player and playing through the same amp and speakers I can say this: The CD has a quieter noise floor. But the record kills the CD in dynamics and expression. I owned the CD for years and thought it was a great concert band album. See I played in concert bands and drum and bugle corps in my youth. On a challenge I bought the record and was transported back in time. The record does a better job of conveying what a concert band sounds like.

Note: this recording is DSD in origin. Its a digital recording.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  23. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Trying to record this particular record is what convinced me my laptop was not up to the task of doing needle drops.

Ntotrar likes this.
  24. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

I don't have your media. Don't have that kind of time either at present. However, if you are able to run plots that show left and right channels independently, any phase cancellations (if indeed they exist), won't be modifying the plots.

25. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

Milliseconds or microseconds, what exists is what exists. I said anything that once was on analog tape...that includes the LP, right? Depending on the particular tape chain(s) involved, CD/LP/download azimuth errors aren't necessarily the same.

The point is, plots that are based upon some arithmetically formed "mid" channel have at least a possibility of not corresponding to human hearing. Isn't it better if such factors are surfaced and understood? I'm hardly saying a scientific approach is unworthy, science is cool, but trappings alone do not make science.

Anyway, all knowledge is interim knowledge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.