"Compleat Beatles" documentary to be released on DVD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by john lennonist, Oct 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY... Thread Starter

I've always loved the "Compleat Beatles" documentary -- I find it to be more concise and more objective (Macca's occasional tendency toward revisionist history bugs me a bit... NOTE: my flame retardant suit is on and zipped up!) than "Anthology," though I love "Anthology" as well.

I've kept my eyes out for "The Compleat Beatles" VHS for years... until this week, I'd only seen one copy of it for sale (which I snagged).

This week, one store had three copies of it!

Is this about to be released on DVD, or what?

2. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

"But more than that, they were good.....very, very good"

Great documentary....had it on VHS for years and still watch is occasionally. With Apple and the Anthology, I doubt this will be on DVD anytime soon....but who knows?

Evan

3. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

It's a great documentary! I like it better in some ways than the "Anthology." That will be one of the first VHS dubs I do when I get a DVD-R recorder!

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I have the remastered LD. I never thought it would ever make DVD.

5. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Me too (LD)! I love that cheesy deep low sound effect when they get to the part where the public "rebels" against the group, after the Lennon Jesus Christ comment. Very dramatic! :rolleyes:

Still, it's a great snapshot of the times....

:-jon

6. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Yep, a very low-brow docu, but actually very good in general - it gets the job done.

BTW, the remaster is MUCH better.

7. Mark H

Mark H Forum Resident

Loved this when it came out on VHS a few years ago. I believe Malcolm McDowell was the narrator. At the time it was about the best thing out there. Seems kind of quaint now I guess.

8. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

According to Amazon, Compleat Beatles isn't on DVD

9. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

There are a lot of people who do prefer "Compleat" over the Anthology.

10. reechie

reechie Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, it appears that Apple quietly bought the rights to The Compleat Beatles several years ago, most likely to keep it off the market, and from competing with their own Anthology.

So as far as DVD goes, this one's pretty much a loss. :sigh:

11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

..I have it on VHS also, I lost my taped Off TV, Dick Clark production of...The Birth Of The Beatles...which I believe never made it to VHS? or did it?

12. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Lucky you! That reeked!

13. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Complete Beatles has the earlier material in true stereo and that and the rest of it are free from n/r.

I'm holdin' on to my copy.

14. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Loved it on VHS when it first came out, it was the only Beatles documentary at the time. I even have the companion two-volume boxed set "Complete Beatles" songbook (which of course has been supplanted by Hal Leonard's "Complete Scores"). I did have a gripe that CB dubbed studio audio over live video and even then the sync wasn't as good as it could have been.

Anthology was almost propaganda to me, it was so squeaky clean (and revealed so little of substance) that I basically only got it to rip the 5.1. But now that the director's cut is making the rounds, it's apparent that there was a lot of dirt that the (remaining) boys didn't want revealed and was excised from the final version. Now *that's* the documentary I'm looking forward to seeing :)

15. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

I have that pressing of the laserdisc too. Excellent picture and audio quality. I seriously doubt it'll be released on DVD. You can go on eBay right now and find bootleg copies of it on DVD though. Don't know how good they are though.

16. daveman

daveman Forum All Star

I've never heard of this documentary; when was it made and released?

17. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

1982. Narrated(brilliantly)by Malcolm McDowall.

Evan

18. Mr. Winston

Mr. Winston New Member

This film came out in the early 1980s (1982 I think?) on a number of video formats until it disappeared from the market. It may be a video only release as I've only seen it on VHS, but some one else could check to see if it was ever released theatrically.

19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I quite enjoyed it!:)

20. Tim Casey

Tim Casey Active Member

My favorite edit was between the Marianne Faithful interview and the performance of "Hey Jude". To paraphrase her: "We had all started to think maybe the Beatles were finished; no one had heard from them in a long time. Then Paul showed up at a party and put on this acetate of a song they had just finished..." and then it cuts to the closeup of Paul on David Frost singing "Hey Jude, don't make it bad....".

Extremely effective editing on that one (I guess they weren't quite "finished" in 1968!)

21. Sessal

Sessal Member

>>>It may be a video only release as I've only seen it on VHS, but some one else could check to see if it was ever released theatrically.<<<

I saw it in a theatre in Washington, D.C. in 1982 or '83. My recollection is that it saw very limited theatrical release/engagement.

- Lou

22. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

It was the first VHS tapes I purchased after buying my first VHS (dolby stereo HiFi). A few months later (to my disappointment) it was re-released with HiFi audio. I enjoyed it and have been meaning to dust it off and watch it for the last few years. Interesting comment about Apple buying the rights to stop it competing with Anthology; if that hadn't been posted I would have imagined that there may have been re-licencing problems after 20yrs. If Apple are keeping from the market it is a back-handed credit to the producers of the video, as there are plenty of budget Beatles DVDs around trying to rip us off.

23. JohnnyH

JohnnyH Forum Resident

The boot DVD is watchable but from a pretty poor VHS source (lots of lines and specks on the image). I think it was created from a file-sharing rip (it has a crude menu screen which seems to indicate this).

JohnnyH

24. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

The part where they spin the cover of Revolver around to illustrate the influence of drugs on The Beatles never fails to crack me up!

25. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Sounds like the remastered LD is still the best version of this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.