Complete Chicago IV coming ("Chicago at Carnegie Hall")*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jmpatrick, Apr 7, 2021.

1. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

As this set gets closer to release, I'm more excited than ever to have it. Yes, that means "now more than ever"...:tiphat:

As a huge fan of Chicago's music, just being able to finally experience these shows in comprehensive form is worth the price alone!

I'm fortunate that Rhino still goes to the trouble to even bother with such a stuffed set nowadays. The worse option is not Jessup but not being able to enjoy a set like this to begin with!

As long as it is indeed recordings of Chicago playing on those nights, and not "The California Raisins", then I'm not sure what Jessup could even do that would be so severe that it would turn me off of Chicago's music. Or turn me off from their performances here.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
  2. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

He could remaster it.

EricSwan, g.z. and lukpac like this.
  3. If I Can Dream_23

I doubt that would do it. I've loved the music of Chicago long before Jessup sat at a console to work on their stuff. I doubt that I'm suddenly gonna dislike the music on these albums just because he was chosen yo add his sonic two cents to them.

I mean if his treatment of the debut's 50th (which I didn't care for at all, and luckily have original pressings of as a preferred route) didn't turn me off of the debut, then I'm not sure what he could do to ruin the Carnegie Hall performances either. And that's regardless of whether or not I end up not being fond of what he does to it sonically.

As mentioned, I'm less concerned about Jessup being the guy or not being the guy doing this than I am of not having the privledge of experiencing a set like this at all.

Life is too short! I'm not gonna hold out futile hope of a set like this being released again in which I may or may not enjoy more. Like any big box release where the positives far outweigh the negatives, I'm grateful for what we are getting, not what we aren't. :)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
  4. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

A Chicago grail I just gotta get the funds for this big box. The new Harrison and Beach Boys box sets set me back.

:D:bigeek:

If I Can Dream_23 likes this.
  5. futureinreverse

futureinreverse Forum Resident

As a new fan who usually drools over sets like this, I feel like it's overkill, considering the rep of the original release and the speculation on sound quality. Overpriced and overstuffed. Now if there was a standard version that just included the original tracklisting, remixed/remastered, I'd be all over that. Maybe include 1 "best of the rest" bonus disc, summing up the highlights of the remainder of the material.

Perhaps something like that will surface come the next Record Store Day.

6. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Jessup ruined the CTA (Chicago Transit Authority) 50th anniversary reissue and might potentially ruin any succeeding Chicago reissues with his fingers on the knobs and slides. Thankfully, I still have the option to play the non-Jessup Chicago music from 1969-1977 and to a smaller extent the music from 1978-1984 on the original Columbia and Full Moon/WB vinyl.

7. If I Can Dream_23

Yes. I didn't at all care for the sound on the debut's 50th. Thankfully for that album we still have other alternate choices. So far, there is only one of these complete Carnegie Hall sets that will ever be released (or maybe not?).

Thankfully, what I have heard of this set so far is more pleasing to my ears. That is, relative to whatever he was aiming for on that debut! :p

8. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

Just when I had gone out and bought a 1969 car radio to listen on.

If I Can Dream_23 and PJayBe like this.
  9. I want this set,but I'm waiting to read some reviews from fans who have it.It's very pricey so I wanna make sure that it's worth it :)

Has anyone received theirs yet?

10. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

I haven't. Last I heard, the release date will be September 10. Once I receive and listen, I'll definitely post my opinions here.

David88M and RockRoom like this.
  11. GoPre

GoPre Well-Known Member

Well I got a shipping notice should be here Saturday according to the email I got from Rhino.

12. Steel Woole

Steel Woole Senior Member

One pleasant surprise - the discs are in rice paper sleeves.
    Baby steps...

Karmageddon, Fractured, g.z. and 2 others like this.
  13. Icenine1

Icenine1 Forum Resident

Will this be available for High-res download?
    I also have the Live in Japan which is pretty good. For this issue I own the 1995 Chicago Label three CD issue which has excellent DR. I'll wait here to find out what the DR is and hopefully they didn't compress it. Hopefully Steven Wilson will please do any or all: CTA, III, V

14. jvs52

jvs52 Forum Resident

I just got an email from Dig! store : Your Dig! order has left our warehouse and is on its way to you.
    I think it's send from the U.K.

15. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It's always stunning just how bad he can make things sound.

Karmageddon, Pelvis Ressley and g.z. like this.
  16. PineBark

PineBark formerly known as BackScratcher

I just listened to the "25 or 6 to 4" clip back to back with the prior release (below), which was posted on YT in 2014. The vocals on the new version seem f'd up.

Original version

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
    g.z. likes this.
  17. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

That's what happens when you think you can spend six months and use All The Plugins to "fix" a recording with issues.

18. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

And on the original Columbia and Full Moon/WB CDs. :D

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  19. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

Once the vocals entered I was out of there.
    Where I come from, that ain't right.

The original mix sounds like a live album and is much better.

20. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

Sounds like he used the "mega-phone" plugin for the horns and vocals! How can someone listen to this and think it sounds ok.
    Did he not have the original releases to at least compare to. Or does he just think he has the golden touch.

21. SonicTitan

SonicTitan Well-Known Member

To be honest, I listened to the songs uploaded to spotify and I have to admit that I like it (although I do not know the original release). To my ears it sounds fine (again, I'm not comparing it to anything).
    I hesitated to preorder this box because of all the criticism towards Jessup (and I can absolutely understand that, when listening to CTA), but the samples are (to my ears) fine and I'm absolutely looking forward to receive this box.

22. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Now that a new recording studio was built by the band in Sedona, AZ for neighbor Tim Jessup under Lee Loughnane's supervision, any future Chicago anniversary reissues will have the name "Tim Jessup" in it, not to mention his "modern" touch and "time-to-party" sound on every future remaster and remix projects. Brilliant! :eek:

g.z. likes this.
  23. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

How? Not sure, but I did. Just listened, I guess.

SonicTitan likes this.
  24. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

To quote producer Ryan from Pitch Meeting: Oh, my God!

It sounds like Peter's singing from another room. Wow...

musicfan37, Pelvis Ressley and lukpac like this.