complete Criterion collection

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Rocker, Apr 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member Thread Starter

Just wondering if anyone on the forums owns the complete Criterion collection, including all the OOP titles? (actual Criterion discs only; burned copies don't count).

Obviously they are releasing new titles all the time, but as of this posting, the most recent release is White Material (Spine #560)... so for the sake of argument, let's say that a "complete" collection would include everything up to this title.

(I'm not counting the Eclipse Series as part of the "regular" Criterion line, since they don't have spine numbers... but if you collect these as well, feel free to mention how many you've got).

Currently I've got just over 500 of the 560 spines (including quite a few of the OOP titles), plus about 18 of the 26 Eclipse sets.

mikeyt likes this.
  2. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I'm not even close. I have a little more than 100 though. You're a MONSTER!

3. stipe

stipe New Member

Wow man, you are in possession of what is known as the HOLY GRAIL to us film geeks. I must come to your home and worship your collection. I'll even wear a snuggie to appear as if I am from a strange cult.

:righton:

4. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

It's an attractive thought, but if it means I'd have to own Armageddon, Chasing Amy, and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button I think I'll pass.

White_Noise, BlueTrane and Hutch like this.
  5. paulisme

paulisme I’m being sarcastic

Rocker, does your collection include LDs, DVDs and Blu-rays, or is it just DVDs?

6. Hawklord

Hawklord Senior Member

Not even close at about 40 discs. But I will never have all as I don't like most of the films. I won't buy a movie just because its on Criterion.

7. Rocker

Mine consists of DVDs only... I came into the Criterion game long after LDs went the way of the dodo, and I have no plans to upgrade to Blu-Ray... DVDs are good enough for me. ;)

8. Synthfreek

My Criterion blu-rays make the DVD equivelants look like balls...what the hell was wrong with Benjamin Button?

9. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

It's a rehash of Forrest Gump with all the same narrative/character problems (at least that's what I find wrong with it).

As a film nut I have to say I wish I owned most of the Criterion Collection simply to familiarize myself with so many foreign films I haven't seen. The packaging is always nicely designed too. I always feel like I'm getting something special with one their releases.

mikeyt likes this.
  10. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

Yes.

11. Rocker

Heads up for any Canadian forum members in the GTA who are Criterion collectors... the Scarborough Deja Vu Discs location has quite a large batch of Criterion DVDs in stock at the moment... someone was in recently and unloaded a few dozen titles, so they probably have at least a few you're looking for, if you're a serious collector.

There were only 4 titles in the bunch that I needed, but hey, it's better than nothing! ;)

12. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

The Criterion Blu-ray of The Seventh Seal is quite extraordinary compared to the standard Criterion DVD. Plus, for a while, Criterion was doing the stupid practice of adding black borders around the image to compensate for old CRT TV over scan. Idiotic and unacceptable!

Top, Criterion DVD. Bottom Criterion Blu-ray.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

mikeyt likes this.
  13. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

I was reviewing DVDs for my old magazine and for a while I was on the Criterion promo list -- full-art promo versions of every single Criterion release for a little over two years. EASILY the one and only thing I miss about that job!

Anyway, thanks to that, I've got around 200 Criterion discs (including quite a few OOP ones too), but I can't really afford to keep up on them now. Besides, I still have at least 40 that I've never had time to watch, so I can hardly justify it!

14. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

I've got 301, and two of the Eclipse sets.
    I have no intention of getting them all, and no desire to buy blu-rays.

15. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Too bad. Blu-rays are a big improvement...

16. Synthfreek

Criterion does offer a trade up deal for blu-rays too.

17. WilsonTTC

WilsonTTC Forum Resident

Is the Criterion trade up still going? I was considering it and looked around Criterion's site but found no mention of it. I assume they have discontinued this program.

If anyone knows that it is still active, please post a link, thanks.

18. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I probably have about 100 Criterion titles and that's counting LD's, DVD's, and BD's. I still watch some of the LD's, like Showboat...I have The Producers framed as Wall Art. How long till I'm framing the DVD's? :laugh: ....or even the BD's?

500...those are Babe Ruth or Hank Aaron like numbers! :righton:

19. djcavanagh

djcavanagh Forum Resident

I believe that they have discontinued the trade-up scheme due to lack of interest.

20. WilsonTTC

WilsonTTC Forum Resident

Thanks djcavanagh, seems like I was a little late to that.

21. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

You'd have to own "Slacker" as well. I sold that one after watching it. One of the half-dozen worst time expenditures I've ever had with movies.

I haven't counted but I probably have about half. No "Armageddon," no "Chasing Amy," and no "CCoBB" among them.

I've started to change my view on owning movies. I don't think it's necessary except for great ones. Here's my list of Criterion titles I don't think I'd ever give up:

Sweet Smell of Success
    Night of the Hunter
    Breathless
    In the Mood for Love
    Chungking Express
    Rushmore
    Days of Heaven
    The Last Emperor
    The Seventh Seal
    Withnail and I
    Sword of Doom
    Tokyo Olympiad
    Night and the City
    Monterey Pop (for the Otis segment alone)
    The Lady Eve
    The Passion of Joan of Arc
    8 1/2

I'll always keep all the Bunuel films as well.

I'm sure I'll also keep a lot of the Kurosawa films though I have to admit I've never liked any of them quite as much as I like those listed above. :hide:

mikeyt likes this.
  22. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

It was "The Rock" that got me, although Armageddon is also it's own private hell.

23. I agree 100% (and the opposing view seems ridiculous).

I have: "M", "PEEPING TOM", "THIS IS SPINAL TAP", "SILENCE OF THE LAMBS", "CHASNG AMY", "HOOP DREAMS", "VIDEODROME", "DEAD RINGERS", "NAKED LUNCH", "THE ROCK", "FEAR AND LOATHING IN LAS VEGAS".

And am pretty happy with what I've got.

Of course I also have a mental list of titles that I think should be Criterion releases...

Anyone else do this?

24. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

25. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

The only ones I have are:

"My Own Private Idaho"
    "Time Bandits"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.