Complete Far Side Collection (book)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by handle, Nov 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. handle

handle Forum Resident Thread Starter

Amaon.com is selling these for 40% off (81.00 dollars.) and you can get anohter 10% off if you use the STl program. So I picked up a set for 76.00 dollars with normal shipping. Just thought I'd make everyone aware of it. It's ALL the Far Side cartoons in two books.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0740721135/qid=1068439340/

-Tom

Book Description
    A masterpiece of comic brilliance, The Complete Far Side contains every Far Side ever syndicated--over 4,000 if you must know--presented in (more or less) chronological order by year of publication, with more than 1,100 that have never before appeared in a book. Also included are additional Far Side cartoons Larson created after retirement: 13 that appeared in the last Far Side book, Last Chapter and Worse, and six cartoons that periodically ran as a special feature in The New York Times' Science Times section as The Far Side of Science. Creator Gary Larson offers a rare glimpse into the mind of The Far Side in quirky and thoughtful introductions to each of the 14 chapters. Complaint letters, fan letters, and queries from puzzled readers appear alongside some of the more provocative or elusive panels. Actor, author and comedian Steve Martin offers his pithy thoughts in a forward and Gary Larson's former editor describes what it was like to be "the guy who could explain every Far Side cartoon.

2. MITBeta

MITBeta New Member

Sweet!

3. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

Thanks for the heads up, I didn't even know that a complete "Far Side" collection was ever published! I'll be sure to pick this one up.

4. floyd

floyd Senior Member

Thanks,
    Far Side is probably my favorite comic. I love single panel comics. The books look fantastic I think I will just have to grab this one!!! It comes in a box, are the 2 volumes hardbound ? I didn't find that info in the description.
    Oh yeah, Tom (or anyone ) what is the STI program you speak of?

5. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

They are indeed hardbound.

[​IMG]

6. handle

STL is...

Share the love is a program by which you can get 10% off a purchase by having someone who already purchased the item send you an invitation to buy it.

I always ask for love at http://www.dvdtalk.com in their forums.

The thread over there is: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=328931

Complete details can be seen at: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/583406/103-7208775-3935030

I've used the STl program only on the recieving end, I have never sent any love. But 40% off a book, then an additional 10% off does make me feel lovely.

-Tom

7. floyd

floyd Senior Member

Maybe you might want to send some love this way.

8. handle

I can't because I have already purhchased the item. You have to put people's emails in when you make the purchase.

-Tom

9. floyd

floyd Senior Member

ahhh... thats the deal. Oh well I may just hold off since I just found out about towers 25% off sale this week is getting expensive.

10. floyd

floyd Senior Member

The Amazon price just went to $94.50 anyway. Shoooot!

11. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

I think Costco is selling it for $80.

Jay

12. MITBeta

MITBeta New Member

I managed to receive this set for Christmas. I would like to describe it for you in a word:

WOW!

The two books together weigh in excess of 20lbs. I could barely lift the package the way I was sitting when my wife slid it over to me. The commentary in just the first 10 pages is fascinating and the (apparently original) artwork is stunning. Each book is about a foot tall, so when opened much of the artwork ends up being 12" X 18" or something close to that.

The book took over 3 years to make, and includes in order every published Far Side cartoon ever, plus many that were deemed unpublishable for one reason or another as well as between 15 and 20 NEW cartoons that Larson has written since his retirement.

Any serious Far Side fan owes it to himself to pick up a copy of this masterpiece at his/her earliest convenience.

13. JoelDF

JoelDF Senior Member

I got this behemoth for Christmas too.

Also...

WOW!

Great set. I was surprised too, as I was not aware of this set either.

Joel

14. MITBeta

MITBeta New Member

I would not have been aware of it either were it not for this post in this forum.

:D

15. telliott

telliott Senior Member

After reading the Peanuts thread, I searched out this thread on my favorite comics

I love those aliens with a bunch of eyes at the end of tentacles. "That one eye staring at me creeps me out" :)

I saw this 2 volume set at boarders and besides being expensive (I'm sure it's worth it) seems a bit too massive for casual viewing.

I would rather see it in a 10 volume paperback set in the same elegant slipcase.

I have the "Prehistory..." book and love that.

I wish Gary Larson would offer us something on the web.

Tim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.