Component(s) of your audio system that are "end game" and you don't have the urge to upgrade?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TheVinylAddict, Mar 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found Thread Starter

The upgrade itch can be overwhelming at times, especially for those of us that have separates.... but let's approach it from another angle. What part(s) of your system are "end game" and you don't have the itch to upgrade them?

Maybe you are on of the lucky ones that is truly "enjoying the music" in complete contentment without thinking "..... I still need to upgrade this...." :) Audio Nirvana!!!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    displayname likes this.
  2. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

I'm done with upgrading. Only when things break will they be "upgraded".

I've sat in demo rooms with equipment priced at tens of thousands of pounds more than my equipment, and I've remained either pretty unimpressed at the difference, or the feeling that my modest setup sounds pretty bloody close to it.

3. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Turntable: Technics SL-1200GAE
    Amps: McIntosh MC-452 + ATI AT3007
    Disc spinner: OPPO UDP-205

Zero desire to ever upgrade any of these, even if someone dropped 100K in my lap.

4. Guth

Guth Music Lover

I’m satisfied to the point that my entire system is at “end game” status. The only cause for replacement would be due to equipment failure that would be too expensive or impossible to repair. I’m not looking forward to when that day comes.

Sure, some people on this forum own far more impressive systems, although I’m not convinced that they are receiving any more enjoyment from their gear than I am from mine. As I was pointing out the other day, even those around here on the low end of the hifi ladder are still enjoying better music playback than over 99% of the population.

cporcp, Dave Mac, Adam9 and 7 others like this.
  5. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

Bwahahahaha.

That is a good one.

I'm going to upgrade. Once I can't upgrade any more, I'm going to downgrade.

And so it goes, and so it goes...

6. Brando4905

Brando4905 Forum Resident

I think I’m all set for a great long time on speakers, ATC SCM19v2. I only foresee an upgrade if my living room somehow got bigger.

The only other component in my system that I reckon I’m done upgrading is an Oppo 105d. Not really because I think it’s the best disk spinner I’ve ever heard, but the chances are very slim that any manufacturer will ever produce another player that sounds as good and will do SACD, HDCD, DVD, etc.......all in one box.

vegafleet and Echoes Myron like this.
  7. tyinkc

tyinkc Senior Member

I love my TT (E.A.T. C-Sharp) and have no plans to upgrade it. I've thought about upgrading my pre-amp and speakers, but I may just enjoy the music. I'm getting too old to stay on the gear merry-go-round.

Luxmancl38 likes this.
  8. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

I think if you are already spending a few hundred £/$ on a single piece of hifi equipment, the chances are these days is that its very good and going further would only be a very minor step up. Mostly of the time upgrading just means it sounds different, not better or more improved over what you had before.

Satrus, Vignus, Porkpie and 3 others like this.
  9. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

At this point I feel like I’m done with my JBL L100 Classic speakers. I’ve owned speakers over 3 times more expensive in the past but I’ll never be able to go back there again and honestly, I don’t feel like I am missing anything with these. I just need to not look anymore!

10. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Eddie Current Aficionado Headphone Amp, Senn HD800s and my LP12. Still open about tone arm, cartridge and Phono pre changes in the future. Listen exclusively to vinyl through headphones.

11. Luxmancl38

Luxmancl38 Forum Resident

Very happy w/my Luxman PD171-A TT and Luxman CL38U SE tube preamp. I have a small room so the Aerial 5T's are perfect and I have a trouble free Bryston 2.5 SST2 amp. Just going to enjoy the music.

12. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Rega RP10.

Check.

Done.

Bob_in_OKC, Robert M. and WapatoWolf like this.
  13. ejman

ejman Music, fountain of life!

I'm 68 so getting closer to my personal endgame. I've tested my hearing and I'm currently ok up to 12 khz or so. Do I need flat response to 20 khz apparently mother nature is telling me not so much. In view of that, I'm perfectly happy with my Mapletree Tube preamp, Conrad Johnson MF2300/Jolida 502 p power amps, Magneplanar 1.7's, HSU sub, Rega P3 - Lounge Audio phono preamp. This is my main system, I have 4 other ones to play with as the mood strikes so yes, I'm at the end game and in fact I have to start thinking about the downsizing side of things.

14. Tebbiebear

Tebbiebear Forum Resident

My turntable and tonearm are end game for me, Thorens TD124 with a Jelco 750D. I will be upgrading the 2m Blue Cart at some point but IMO its not my current weakest link.
    PreAmp MIGHT be end game as well, McIntosh C20, but I will possibly play with alternatives at some point.
    Amp is currently an Adcom GFA 5800 and other than the way it looks I don't currently have any issues with it TBH.

I think I will probably settle on some speakers first then audition as many different amps and preamps as possible. Its a process that I will enjoy over the coming years.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  15. TheVinylAddict

Reminds me of a Petty song "The looking is the hardest part........" <not waiting for the Petty challenged.......>

I'm feelin' ya man......:) I can completely relate. I have a morning ritual that is hard to break of checking certain overseas / local gear sites to see what broke free overnight.... right after the morning coffee is done. Problem is it sometimes bleeds over into my morning meetings and I am sitting there with the headset on mute in a meeting juggling Webex on one screen, some gear site on another and a laptop with the Hoff board. It's kinda sad!

bever70 and Eigenvector like this.
  16. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I'm mostly done with upgrading. Not because of some sense of having "arrived", but just because the next level up from where I am now would be prohibitively expensive.

I still need to upgrade my cartridge and DAC before I'm completely done though.

LeBud likes this.
  17. Salectric

Salectric Senior Member

I bought my Galibier Gavia turntable in 2004 intending for it to be my final table. I have now used it almost daily for 15 years and still feel it is a final purchase. Sure, I upgraded the platter and the motor/controller when updates became available but the basic table is still the same. As a side bonus, it should last for close to forever with virtually no maintenance.

Don Parkhurst likes this.
  18. Doctor Fine

Doctor Fine "So Hip It Would Blister Your Brain"

I don't upgrade.
    I built it right the first time.
    I think upgrading is a fool's game.
    Best to avoid the constant churn and just plan everything out before you start assembly.
    You may have to make a few adjustments in the early stages when things don't go according to the "book" and you find out what reality has to say about things.
    But after THAT settles down it is time to just play with what you have and enjoy the sound of live music in your home.
    It never gets old.

19. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

As long as I remain with a moving magnet cartridge,I feel no need to upgrade from my Goldring G1042 and Graham Slee Gold Era V phono stage.

Don Parkhurst likes this.
  20. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

SME turntable and arm

Don Parkhurst and alan967tiger like this.
  21. Jim N.

Jim N. 2024 is 1968 sans the great music

Have the same preamp (TAD-150), amp (Odyssey Stratos Extreme) and speakers (Odyssey Loreleis) since 2005.

My Schiit Gumby and Auralic Vega are not going anywhere (added in the past two years). I have put a lot of money into my headphone rig the past year and have stopped looking.

rodentdog likes this.
  22. TheVinylAddict

Reminds me of the line in Princess Bride "He's mostly dead!"

Some of us will be eternally mostly done with our upgrades I'm afraid....... :)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    unclefred and bever70 like this.
  23. advanced101

advanced101 Forum Resident

One end game piece I have are my Daedalus Orpheus, especially since I am adding a set of Daedalus subwoofers. The other are probably my EAR 509 amps, if anything I would add a different pair of amps. Everything else has an upgrade path.

24. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

I need to restore my speaker crossovers - someday, sooner than later.

Then... MC (Mission Complete).

25. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Rega RP8, Rega Aria & Lehmann Black Cube SE, cambridge tuner, Cambridge CXU universal player.

On upgrade list: amplifier, speakers, cart

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.