Component(s) of your audio system that are "end game" and you don't have the urge to upgrade?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TheVinylAddict, Mar 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Well that didn’t last long just got a Studer A-807.

2. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

3. Projectman

Projectman Forum Resident

Mark Levinson 585 Integrated
    Lumin L1 Network Transport
    PS Audio Direcstream DAC
    Focal No 1 Speakers

4. BZync

BZync Senior Member

I have a surround system made up of Paradigm Studio 100's (v3) up front & Studio 40's (v3) rear. I can't imagine wanting anything different.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  5. D1R1J1

D1R1J1 Member

Hello, I have these exact same speakers for some time and I feel as though my setup could be better, starting with the receiver. What receiver goes great with these speakers. Currently I have a Sony ES444. Which is very outdated. Please help!!

6. mds

mds Forum Resident

As long as I have the funds to make a noticable important in any component I'll upgrade why not? Do I enjoy my system as is YES, very much so but I know there are upgrades out there.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  7. spiralgalaxy5

spiralgalaxy5 Active Member

I don't think any of my current system will change apart from the turntable at some point - especially if I start collecting LPs again. If the CD player fails irreparably then I'll be replacing it but I managed to blow the entire DAC board on it a while back and replaced all the ICs in the audio path to bring it back it so it'll take a lot for me to let it go. As some of my gear is vintage / classic I'm more interested in maintenance than replacement. More space might result in additions but not replacements ;). I get a great deal of pleasure from gorgeous music delivered through high quality speakers from the same era - I like the idea that I could be hearing it as someone might have done "back in the day" on decent gear. Next system upgrade will therefore be electrolytic capacitor replacements in the crossovers of my KEF 103.2s - no ferrofluid or foam surrounds to worry about with those beauties.

The only thing that is bound to change is the DAC / player for non-physical music sources as the hardware will undoubtedly go out-of-date w.r.t. delivery / storage format changes, which are all academic / commercial / engineering interest only and have nothing to do with my enjoyment of listening to music.

alan967tiger and Echoes Myron like this.
  8. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

I'd like to upgrade my Onkyo amp, but I wonder how much better things would sound if I felt like spending $1,500-$2,000.

9. Yakbob

Yakbob Forum Resident

My Tannoy Legacy Adrens will be with me as long as i have the space for them.
    Also, my Bob Latino ST-70.

djost and Vinyl Archaeologist like this.
  10. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

My Odyssey Audio Khartago mono block amplifiers.

11. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

I dont have he urge to upgrade any existing components because they are as good as I can get for my income. I have a marantz tt15s1 table, yamaha a-s1100 amp, and ascend acoustics sierra 2EX speakers

I feel like I'd have to spend too much money to truly upgrade from these ..

However i would like to add a sub woofer, some sound treatment to my room, speakers stands, and possibly a higher end record cleaner for my next purchases in this hobby.

timind and mds like this.
  12. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

1. Audionote Arm3 v2 - so musical.

2.SME V- it is an SME V!:edthumbs:

3. Vincent SV-237MK amp as it has tone controls which in my room from hell help a lot.

4. My Maxxed Gyrodec SE- too much Wonga put in to it and it sounds pretty darn good.

5. Impulse H6 loudspeakers- these hopefully at some point will be going off to be majorly fettled and have sentimental value.:edthumbs:

geodiak and alan967tiger like this.
  13. GKH

GKH Senior Member

Not upgrading:

Merrill PolyTable, Digital Motor Drive, Jelco SA-750e
    Jolida JD302CRC integrated amp
    OPPO DV-980H CD/DVD deck
    Mirage H-10 Subwoofer
    Sony DA3100ES HT Receiver
    Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray deck

Will upgrade:

Rega Fono Mini A2D phono preamp

Might upgrade, but unlikely:

Ortofon 2M Bronze Cartridge
    Paradigm Monitor 7 V. 5 Towers
    Mirage Omnisat Center Channel
    Mirage Omnisat Rear Channels

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  14. Vinyl Archaeologist

Vinyl Archaeologist Forum Resident

how would you describe the sound of the ardens - beautiful speakers!!

15. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found Thread Starter

LOL I remember this post.......

.... gawd how things change........ now I sit here and think what does "end game" mean? :angel:

Seriously, I'm not sure I'll ever be satisfied until I try everything out there at least once. :D I'm off to a good start!

Still having a blast though, isn't what ultimately counts? Good news is I am buying mostly desirable stuff in good condition or new, so I keep the hamster wheel going by selling off the things I don't end up wanting or don't make the cut! Not taking a big loss most of the time, sometimes even profiting!

What I thought would be end game 18 months ago --- some of it turned out to be "end of the year" game.

LeBud, alan967tiger and mds like this.
  16. Yakbob

Yakbob Forum Resident

Vinyl Archaeologist, I've posted a review over on AK.
    Here's a link: Tannoy Legacy Arden review

jonwoody likes this.
  17. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

My amp - McCormack DNA-125, upgraded heavily by SMC Audio
    My CD Transport - Sonic Frontiers, upgraded internal word clock
    And as long as it continues to work, my phono preamp - Mod Squad PhonoDrive

Speakers, turntable, cart, and DAC are items that I could see upgrading potentially down the road. I also want to get my RLD-1 upgraded but I'd have no qualms just leaving it alone. But I know it has more potential than I'm currently hearing, so not "end game."

18. Ledfut

Ledfut Forum Resident

It took me a while to put together my "dream" setup (all vintage!) and I have no desire to upgrade any of it!

Thorens TD 160 turntable
    McIntosh C29 Preamplifier
    McIntosh MC2125 Power Amplifier
    Tannoy Monitor HPD 385 speakers in custom "Arden" cabinets

timind likes this.
  19. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Everything I currently own :cheers:

20. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

I love my VN150 and cannot see upgrading it, but I could see upgrading the Bronze 2m. As for the integrated and speakers I could see changing but not necessarily upgrading. My speakers are big. Smaller might be nice.

timind likes this.
  21. Tom Littlefield

Tom Littlefield Forum Resident

I am on my third amp, fourth set of speakers, third tt, (lost track of how many carts) and fifth phono stage as well as multiple sets of speaker cables, inter-connects etc.

I have found my system that I ca lice the rest of my life with, wouldn't change a thing!

22. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Nice review Yakbob well written I've been curious about Tanny GR series speakers for a while but haven't had a chance to listen to any yet. Happy listening!

23. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

I`m done for a while. I upgraded my SACD player to an Esoteric earlier this year and just did the same with my speakers, going from my old Totem Forest to a brand new pair of Revel Performa3 K-05Xs. If I go one more, my wife may think about upgrading her husband…..

alan967tiger and arcamsono like this.
  24. arcamsono

arcamsono Senior Member

Coda pre amp. It'll be last pre fr me considering it keeps working as it has for many years.14 years give or take.

25. Lowgroove

Lowgroove Forum Resident

About 5 years ago my system was all >10 years old (except cartridge). Over the last 5 years or so it has all been replaced (except for some cables).

The speakers are <1 year old and I expect them to be here for at least 20 years to come.

At the other end of the scale the Dynavector XX2 is near end life and will be replaced in the next 6 months (maybe with a new XX2? not sure yet).

I would like to add Roon to my system at some stage, both software and hardware required - not sure on hardware but my current DAC is Roon ready so will not need to upgrade that.

I had planned to upgrade the turntable and digital front end over the next 4 years prior to retirement. However unemployment has struck in the times of Covid and I may already be largely retired with less funds then expected. If funds permit (either by some work opportunities or investments doing better than expected over next 4 years - unlikely given Covid) I would love to move onto something like a dCS Bartok for the digital front end and a Rega P10 and Aura phono preamp (or similar quality from other producers) for analogue.

Other than that it would be nice to add some good quality open back headphones as an option to my current closed back ones.

If I come into some money unexpectedly I would be tempted to move up to the Luxman C900/M900 separates - although more than happy to stay with 590AXII.

In the end I would be happy with what I have if funds need to be focussed elsewhere - I am lucky with what I have.

alan967tiger likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.