Component(s) of your audio system that are "end game" and you don't have the urge to upgrade?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TheVinylAddict, Mar 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Awesome combo. I almost considered going that route as an upgrade to the Totem Sttafs I had for years.

No Static likes this.
  2. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Easier said than done to build it right the first time. I had to test the waters first to find out what worked and what didn't and evolve my system from there.
    I carefully purchased pieces that would maintain their value and the trade up if necessary. I would not call it a fool's game at all.

LeBud, Bob_in_OKC, Kristofa and 3 others like this.
  3. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

CD player- Finished, (Marantz SA8005)
    Digital source- Finished. (Sony HAP-z1ES)
    Cartridge- Finished (Ortofon Cadenza Blue)
    Turntable- Finished (Technics SL1200 GR)
    Phono Preamp Finished (Sutherland 20/20)
    Amplifier- Finished (Rogue CM Dos)
    Speakers- Hopefully but jury is still out (Spendor D7)

4. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Nice system.

5. jlykos

jlykos Forum Resident

Endgame for everything except for the speakers. I would like to either upgrade in the Canalis line to the Amerigo 2.0 or try a Devore Orangutan one day. Maybe upgrade the headphones to the Audeze LCD-4 if I win the lottery or something. I'm really happy with what I have, however.

Honestly, it's really easy these days to find high-quality audio components as the cost of manufacturing decreases and more technology gets packed into smaller units. If something breaks, I may even see if I can get away with some lower cost components because the quality is broadly comparable.

timind likes this.
  6. Soundsense

Soundsense Forum Resident

I'm done with the amplification chain, where I seem to have spent most of my focus and time, thus it must have been core to my listening sensitivities:

CI PEQ-1 phono and Border Patrol DAC into Van Alstine tube preamp and PS Audio S300 power amp.

I went through a lot of variables and years to get here, but it's very successful now and I'm happy every day listening to it all.

7. Achn2b

Achn2b Forum Resident

Parasound JC2 BP and JC3+.

Audioquest Colorado XLR cables.

8. Melvin

Melvin Forum Resident

After years of swapping/upgrading components and loudspeakers I’ve come to that point where I at least understand my taste. I know what I like and have sorted out my system accordingly, achieving that oft-elusive synergy. I’m happy with my modest little system and have no desire to change anything. I listen for hours upon hours and rarely tire of it. My biggest “problem” is simple curiosity. With the break-neck developmental pace in technology the desire to try something else is inevitable. Christ, I’ve only recently adopted Ethernet rendering and now there’s optical modules and switches to obsess over!

I don’t see new loudspeakers in my future. Or amps. Or DACs for that matter. Maybe a new/improved streaming gizmo will strike my fancy. I dunno. Fortunately, I’ve kept much of the gear I’ve purchased over the years and can swap out, well, everything if I need a change of pace. End game? Not quite, but close. Of course, I could go back to vinyl. Nah ..

Kristofa, bradleyc and Bob_in_OKC like this.
  9. geodiak

geodiak Forum Resident

Sonus Faber Amati Aniversario !
    Keepers for life.

ggg71, alan967tiger, GyroSE and 3 others like this.
  10. hammr7

hammr7 Forum Resident

I am no longer quoting U2 ("still haven't found what I'm looking for!"), but I still have comparisons to make with speakers and tube electronics. But I have most of the vintage contestants awaiting refurbishment, so it is simply a matter of getting around to the rebuilds. Since I already have a nice sound, I can take as much time as I want for the comparisons.

avanti1960 and timind like this.
  11. George P

George P Notable Member

I forgot to mention the component of my system that is definitely not end game - the room. Would love to have a dedicated room, but do not see that as a possibility in the near (or even far) future. I may look into bass traps at some point, but need to find something affordable and aesthetically pleasing (I live with my girlfriend in a studio apartment.)

Kristofa, ThorensSme and timind like this.
  12. tomd

tomd Senior Member

It’s great to upgrade but it’s also great to achieve a state of zen/nirvana with the system you already have.

Doctor Fine, bhazen, timind and 2 others like this.
  13. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Set up 1;

Sansui 2000X, Modded Technics SL1200MKII w/AT150Mlx cart, Onkyo TA-2026 cassette deck, Roberts 800X RtR, SONY SS-CPX22 speakers.
    These very modest speakers [w/kevlar woofers] are way better than they should be. Perhaps an upgrade at some point.

Set up 2;

Kenwood KW-60 tube receiver, SONY XA-20ES CD player, Technics SL-QD3 turntable, Dayton Audio B652 speakers.
    Obviously these speakers are place holders. Looking to buy some Klipsch RB-61 II's in the near future.

Set up 3;

Pioneer SX-880, SONY CDP-397 CD player, Wharfedale Denton 80th's, Technics SL1200MKII w/Ortofon Concorde cart/generic elliptical stylus.
    The Pioneer/Wharfedale combo is magic. A more powerful silver face Pioneer is possible but not necessary. Want to upgrade the CDP. Want to get a Ortofon stylus 40 eventually. Perhaps have KAB do some overhauling/upgrading on the 1200.

I'm a receiver guy. Would like to get a classic Marantz and possibly keep as a fourth receiver to swap in/out on occasion.

Gramps Tom and timind like this.
  14. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Carver 2000 receiver
    Bluesound Node 2 w/Airplay via Apple TV 3rd gen
    Project Debut III TT with Ortofon Red
    Oppo BDP 83
    KEF LS50

Only the Node and KEF’s are less than 2 years old.

Considering swapping out the Carver for the Yamaha 803 receiver as a future proofing exercise, as well as the Oppo 83 for an Oppo 103 currently connected to a barely used TV, but am otherwise happy if neither of these events occur.

Any opinions on the Carver vs Yamaha question are welcome.

timind likes this.
  15. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found Thread Starter

Good advice - for me I am close to that state of nirvana with my current system once I upgrade my preamp, amp, speakers, subs........ oh, and add a better CD player. :cool::winkgrin: <just kidding......... kinda>

timind likes this.
  16. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

Nothing is explicitly end game - though their owner is probably uncomfortably close.

Nevertheless I don't see anything changing anytime soon.

billnunan and timind like this.
  17. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

My headphone amp...Audio GD Master 9. The beast weighs over 30 lbs. I am mostly of the "wire with gain" school.

18. rbmitch2

rbmitch2 Forum Resident

Definite keepers:
    Altec Model 19 speakers
    Audio Note Kit 2.1 DAC
    Marantz TT-15 turntable

Really like my Croft Integrated amp - but have my eye out for an Audio Note Oto

SandAndGlass and timind like this.
  19. ayrehead

ayrehead Bipedal Forum Resident

VPI Prime Signature
    Transfiguration Phoenix S
    Marantz PM-10S1
    Aerial 5T

20. How do you like the SA8005?

21. timind

timind phorum rezident

Rhodes? Really? You lucky son of a gun!

geodiak likes this.
  22. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

MoFi Ultradeck
    Sutherland Insight
    PrimaLuna Dialogue HP

All keepers.

I am thinking of selling my Magnepan 1.7is. I'm glad I bought them but may be moving another direction.

displayname likes this.
  23. ghostofzuul

ghostofzuul Harvester of Sorrow

pretty sure my sonic frontiers line 1 premap is the endgame as far as preamps go... so much so that i'm starting to save $ so i can send it up to Parts ConneXion and have it upgraded to SE++ specs.

also considering sending my Sonic Frontiers/Anthem Amp 1 up there for the same treatment. Were I to do that... while not an endgame piece... it would take something really special to usurp it...

Speakers and DAC i think will probably be replaced at some point but since I have just upgraded everything except for my sub in the last 24 months i'm probably just going to hang tight for the time being...

Bananas&blow likes this.
  24. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Wilson Audio Alexia 2s.

bradleyc likes this.
  25. J.Hammershaug

J.Hammershaug Forum Resident

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.