Component(s) of your audio system that are "end game" and you don't have the urge to upgrade?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TheVinylAddict, Mar 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member

Forgot my headphones. Senneheiser HD580s - definitely endgame.

Lush likes this.
  2. McIntosh MC30 x2 or MC 225
    McIntosh C22
    LaScala circa 1977
    Technics 1210 M5G
    SACD Sony S9000ES
    Oppo 83SE
    KLAUDIO RCM

My multiyear plan was implemented over the last 6 months...….. upgraded but still vintage tubes,new interconnects, new speaker cord, new power junction/cord ...….. endgame for gear.

I can shape the sound with tubes, interconnects, cords as I feel the urge. Or stylus as Ortofon improves their Black.

3. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found Thread Starter

Weird.......... It had to be a coincidence --- I am having trouble seeing how that could have any relation?

dkmonroe likes this.
  4. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

Yea I her ya on the MM cartridge thing. At least for my den system my Empire 66E/X is going nowhere as long as I have quality replacement styli, which a LOT seem to be.
    As far as "upgrading" to MC I am undecided. I can easily as my Nikko Beta 30 has a MC cartridge setting. I have friends who did a similar circumstance with MC carts and were not happy. They all went back to MM.

5. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

I would say my Silvertone stereo preamp + amp setup from around '58 in my den system. It is out of an old console. It was a BIG one with 15" woofers that were coneless and trashboune with most of the rest of the cabinet set. It was set out back of an old favorite thrift store and was bound for the crusher. Good timing on my part to get out the pre and amp. Everyone who comes by and hears a few records is amazed. I have had it 16 years and it was gone through by tech about 5 years ago. New power cable, all 9 tube sockets, caps, resistors, speaker jacks, and RCA input jacks. The 6v6gt's are Sylvania marked Silvertone and were tested at near 100 percent at that time. The 12ax7's (3) and 12au7 have been rolled several times. I won't get into that now.

6. TheVinylAddict

I think the only parts of my current system that do not undergo the typical upgrade considerations are the Yamaha NS-2000 speakers, Yamaha GT-2000 turntable, Lounge LCR Max, Copla Max.

Also have a Pioneer PL-70Lii and Kenwood KP-1100 turntable, and they are fabulous --- but would always welcome another TT to try for the right price, like kicking around trying out a SL-1200G or GR (though I really wonder if a GR would really be an upgrade to the three TT's I have already mentioned - these were high end DD's in their day, and mine all work like new).

My Parasound P5, A21, subs, center channel for HT are all just stepping stones and looking daily at the replacement for my P5 as a first step.

7. ALAN SICHERMAN

ALAN SICHERMAN Van Cortlandt Park, Bronx, NY

I have a Creek 5350 SE int. amp and a pair of Paradigm Studio 20's (original version) that I have enjoyed for many years and have no need to upgrade.

ayrehead likes this.
  8. blowinblue

blowinblue Kind of not blue.

The OP asks a very good question. Hold on while I repeat this question to my wife. Waiting...waiting. Ah, the verdict is in. Every part of my stereo system is "end game". She used a slightly different phrase, however. I believe it was "game over". Lol.

M. M.

IRG, Echoes Myron, Kristofa and 8 others like this.
  9. Robert M.

Robert M. Forum Resident

Rega RP8 turntable.

Echoes Myron and Puma Cat like this.
  10. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

Two years ago, as I was reaching official retirement age, I decided to revamp my total audio system. The new components are preamp, amplifier, tuner, DAC, speakers and cabling. Please don’t ask how much $$$$ I dropped. I had to make a solemn oath to my wife that I can’t buy anything audio wise for the rest of my life!!

Echoes Myron and TheVinylAddict like this.
  11. dsf

dsf Well-Known Member

No endgame for my current equipment, The Rega Planar 3 has been reconditioned. Everything else is 2010 or later. Wish I had kept me original DCM Time Windows that would be endgame now but I'd like to have that problem.

12. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

Klipsch Cornwalls that I bought new in 1976.

jerol

13. TheVinylAddict

The question is when you bought them new in 1976, were you thinking at that moment "these are end game and I will never buy another set of speakers?"

Or did it ever enter your mind 43 years ago?

14. jmrife

jmrife Wife. Kids. Grandkids. Dog. Music.

Roon Nucleus

Kristofa likes this.
  15. TheVinylAddict

I can relate to this -- being 57 and close to that point I am thinking the same way.

However, I may be going about it in more of a roundabout way, and it's not a one time purchase! LOL

16. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

Koetsu Urushi Vermilion MC cartridge and SME V tonearm.

jusbe, TheVinylAddict and geodiak like this.
  17. George P

George P Notable Member

Over the weekend, I had the idea to tighten the bolts on my plinth and tighten my spikes. Immediately, the bass tightened up nicely! So as of today, my speakers are endgame. I hadn't tightened them since buying the speakers over a year ago and even then I recall not tightening the plinth that much.

So now, I am curious how often I should do this. Also curious why I have never read about this maintenance, especially considering what a large difference it made.

18. Rickchick

Rickchick Forum Resident

I'm set for life with my Scoutmaster II, and my Paradigm Studio 100s. Of course, I live on disability/ss, so my options are nil.

BZync, TheVinylAddict and Lush like this.
  19. Mad shadows

Mad shadows Forum Resident

There are no end game components. It's just the end of what you are prepared to pay.

davidb1 and TheVinylAddict like this.
  20. Maltman

Maltman Somewhat grumpy, but harmless old man.

My P6, Sim Audio integrated amp and my B&W 703 speakers are all my ears can handle. The only upgrades will be new speaker cables so I can bi wire the B&Ws and some upgraded interconnect cables. I did hear some very impressive Dynaudio speakers, though. Otherwise, these aging ears are happy. I will, however, continue to add to my LP and CD inventory.

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  21. UCrazyKid

UCrazyKid Grand Puba of Funk

My Musical Fidelity A3.2CR Pre-amp. It just sounds so balanced and sweet with a wonderfully wide soundstage.

22. Doctor Fine

Doctor Fine "So Hip It Would Blister Your Brain"

On second thought the end will probably come while I'm still playing.
    I'll be saying to myself---"damn, I really should have gone ahead and splurged on those Audio Research amps and some spares in case they break down..."
    End games are for quitters.
    Or is that rehab?
    I forget.
    Getting old.

23. ALAN SICHERMAN

ALAN SICHERMAN Van Cortlandt Park, Bronx, NY

I happy to have a Creek 5350 SE integrated amp and a pair of Paradigm Reference Studio 20's (original versions) that WERE my upgrade; I currently use an Onkyo CD player ($150.00) which I will replace with no hard feelings when it dies, which (in my personal experience) happens to just about all disc players.

24. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

Unless something gives up the ghost, there is only one part of my system that may be upgraded at some point - replace the midrange drivers on my OBs with a pair of Voxativ ac-1.6, no hurry & it may never happen though.

Everything else is definitely end game for me.

25. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

I see you have a hybrid rp8/10, what part of the 10 did you put on the 8 ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.