Component synergy driving me bonkers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by redchiro, Jul 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redchiro

redchiro Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ok, just installed a new Yamaha A-S2100 integrated into system for 2-channel. Speakers are Polk LsiM707 and CD player is a near-vintage Pioneer Elite DV-79AVI. Initially, I loved the multiple improvements: better grip on woofers/bass, better dynamics, more clarity, better transients and detail, better everything an audiophile typically talks about, EXCEPT:
    I am noticing an urge to turn the volume down due to a type of forwardness or "shouting" quality, especially with certain female vocals. Seems to also affect snare drum, the brightness of acoustic guitar, maybe cymbals. I was expecting a bit of tube-like quality and "warmth" with this amp. So, I do plan to allow some hours for this unit and the speakers as well, which have not been played much. I plan to check all the settings for the universal player when I hook up the video. Speaker cable is some old yellow, heavy gauge, silver plated Van den Hul, interconnects are an old pair of Audioquest. The latter was fairly high end at the time. My room is 13 ft wide by 18 ft long. I sit about 10 feet away. Speakers are a bit further apart than desired, at 8 ft to each inside edge, due to a TV, a small component stand, and a subwoofer.
    I was concerned that the system might be too warm or laid back! Not at all.
    So, could anyone offer an opinion as to whether I may have put 3 components in a chain that together are contributing to the same accentuating of the frequency band? Or, is it possible I am overloading the room with these huge Polk towers? I still have the smaller 705's and plan to switch them out and then sell the pair I
    like the least. I do not feel the bass is overloading the room. It is quite good. I do not use the sub for 2-channel. Oh, I did not not notice this quality through my Sennheiser 650's. I realize the headphone circuit is a discrete, thus different circuit, but the CD player remains and it is not pushing that forwardness. Would have to compare the same CD to be sure though. Thanks to all for any and all suggestions to try.

2. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Synergy could be your problem. Usually if synergy is a problem, it is indicated by a system suddenly sounding less pleasant following an upgrade which, on paper, should have made things better.

I'm not sure why you were expecting tube warmth out of a Yamaha though. If you wanted tube warmth, then you might want to consider getting some real tubes instead.

But before you make any radical changes, start playing with the toe-in on your speakers, and perhaps a little room treatment. Sometimes toeing-in more can help to push a stereo image back a bit. And adding some softer materials to the walls of your listening room can help to mellow it a bit.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    The Pinhead and Mad shadows like this.
  3. redchiro

Thanks and will do. Guess I thought the mosfet design of the upper tier Yamahas was voiced a bit different than their bipolar models. Plus, some of the reviews seemed to indicate that. However, a new review on the A-S1200 by Zero Fidelity, seems to indicate a stark difference btw the Yamaha and the Parasound Hint. The latter leaning towards warmth and the former being a bit forward vs laid-back. But, he did say the new models were voiced differently. Oh well.

4. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

New integrated and new speakers? Yeah, let them break in a bit.

Then, play with speakers positions (like bring them closer to you, away from the front wall), adjust your sitting position, etc. It could be room nulls between 100 to 200 hz that is causing the lack of warm.

Helom, bhazen and TarnishedEars like this.
  5. Mr.Sign

Mr.Sign Forum Resident

Hallo Redchiro,

I auditioned the Yamaha amp and compared it to some others in the same range. I think it is a very good amp but does not have any warmth in the
    sound. Older CD players often have kind of crispy sound too.

zonto likes this.
  6. OC Zed

OC Zed Bludgeon Riffola

I echo the other replies on patience with the burn in. It took my Yamaha about 25 hours for some of the initial shrillness to start fading. It started to sound nice around the 50 hour mark and great at 100 hours. I also noticed a big difference in overall smoothness and balance once I upgraded to some new, higher end Audioquest cables.

bluemooze and Razakoz like this.
  7. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

IMO Mosfets sometimes succeed more at sounding mushy, rather than "warm".

But it does sound like there might be some voicing issues which clash, if both the amp and the speakers have a forward presentation. However, if those speakers are new, they will definitely need some time to break-in. You can't judge how a speaker actually sounds until after it has broken-in.

bhazen and Mr.Sign like this.
  8. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Don't you know, you can't use a term like "synergy" in a thread title without also using "paradigm", "consultant" or "vertical integration"...? Why don't you head down to H.R, and ask to read the corporate manual...;)

CMT likes this.
  9. G B Kuipers

G B Kuipers Forum Resident

I do experience the A-S2100 as somewhat warm and tubelike among ss amps. The amp is also very sensitive to speaker cable and interconnects used. Just try a few different cables to make sure. Don't have to be expensive either.

10. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

How many hours on the speakers? If the answer is in double-digits, they've probably got some breaking-in to do.

11. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

Let the components break in for at least 120 hours before you judge anything.

Razakoz and Ken E. like this.
  12. redchiro

Great suggestions from everyone and much thanks! So, I will give everything some time. In so many ways, this amp sounds really good. It may take a while to figure out if that occasional "shouty" quality is in certain recordings and the higher resolution and dynamics of the new amp is bringing it more to my attention or if there actually is a frequency anomaly.
    It has been SO long since I have listened to music and the speakers have only been in a HT setup or playing in the background. Anyway, the amp has some really addictive qualities but the occasional wince due to that sharpness, I could do without.
    One example was Joni Mitchell's voice on the DCC cd Blue. Kinda hurt my ears. Like I said, notice this quality the most with female vocals at a decent volume.

13. redchiro

Definitely on the low side and mostly for TV and HT. Maybe 50 hours or so.

14. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I can’t comment on your amp, but I have three Pioneer DV79avi players heard through three different amps, solid state and tubes, and know the sound it offers is warm and analogue-like.

15. redchiro

Thanks, that is encouraging. Seems to be quite different opinions on the sound of this amp. Love the bass response, lower mids, overall snap, sound of woodwinds, acoustic instruments, the treble is fine too. Right now, listening to an sacd, Jorma Kaukonen's Blue Country Heart. Sounds great EXCEPT as soon as he puts a bit of oomph into his singing, it hurts my ears a bit. If I turn the volume down, I lose the dynamics. To some degree, I am noticing this with singing on most albums I have played thus far. Just more obvious on some.
    So, I guess it is not just female vocals, it seems to be any singer close- miked if there are some dynamics. Sounds like they are shouting. Does not sound like distortion but it makes me "wince". Thinking it might be the speakers at this point.

16. redchiro

Thanks for that! Do you know if you have any of the sampling or filters engaged or do you have those turned off?

17. redchiro

I am just going to relax about this and do just that. I think there was a review I read years ago where the designer himself mentioned at least 100 hours of break-in. Thinking now this is a speaker issue more than anything else, but no way to be sure yet. So, time to chill. Music sounds incredible in most ways! Just that darn "sharpness" during a vocal peak. Not bright, just seems too loud and "sharp" compared to the rest of the music. Not sure an amp would do that.

18. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

You have tone controls on your amp, does turning down the treble just a little bit help reduce the shouty feeling you have? I find that with some CD's, and even some LP's, I can get that as well, unfortunately I don't have tone controls on my amp. Another thing to try could be a new dedicated DAC, and use your Pioneer as a transport.

Mike-48 likes this.
  19. redchiro

Thank you! Definitely no "mush" with this amp. And there are some things going on that put a real smile on my face. The bass is gorgeous and "tight", the lower mids sound lovely. Transients and dynamics really make you want to listen. The treble range is detailed, yet delicate.
    Just hearing this "shouty" quality that has too much bite or edge to it with vocals (not just female as I first thought) when the singer exerts. Doesn't sound like the microphone is being overloaded per se, but whatever it is, it jumps out over and above the rest of the music and makes me want to lower the volume.

20. redchiro

Yes, this amp has tone controls. Plan to try them and thanks. Hate to put them in the circuit though. Think it makes the signal run through op amps.

unclefred likes this.
  21. redchiro

Thank you! Very encouraging. I could swing one pair of good interconnects. I also read somewhere that one owner felt the power cable needed to be carefully placed away from interference. I will try new IC's first, then a nice set of speaker cables. My cables are very old, at least 30+ years old!

22. redchiro

Darn! Need to dig out my PC manual. ☺

23. redchiro

You might be right about a room null. Thinking speakers over the new amp at this point. Maybe the room is jacking up that frequency range. Be nice to know.

pdxway likes this.
  24. Can you try a different source and hear how things sound? Your Pioneer Elite DV-79AVI might be the issue.

25. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I would have to check to be certain, but I think I left it neutral.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.