Computer toslink out --> outboard DAC Volume Setup Help Requested

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rontokyo, Aug 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rontokyo

rontokyo Senior Member Thread Starter

I often listen to music stored on hard drives [either ripped CDs or digitized vinyl] via headphones connected to a Benchmark DAC. Simple, convenient setup. I can control output volume from the Windows mixer and/or the DAC. My question is, which setting will provide optimal sound quality: low volume from mixer and high from the DAC or visa versa? Or does it not make much difference either way?

2. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I sure am a big fan of adjusting volume with a physical knob. Assuming you don't have one of the new Benchmark DAC3's without a knob, I'd want to set the output volume on the PC to max and control things with the Benchmark.

3. rontokyo

Yeah, knobs are cool. But controlling via Windows mixer requires a click and use of mouse scroll wheel -- ideal when I'm at my computer. But convenience aside, which will provide best quality audio?

4. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

This is a question you can easily answer for yourself. Try each way and see which you like better.

5. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

I agree with @Tim S that it's a matter to decide by listening. But still, I'd trust the quality of the volume control on the Benchmark DAC before I'd trust the Windows mixer. You are able to use an ASIO driver? It's usually the best way to get good-quality sound from Windows to a DAC.

Rolltide likes this.
  6. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

What media player software are you using the play the music?

Most of the good media players have a way of bypassing the Windows Mixer and use their own higher quality 32-bit or 64-bit software volume control. If you want to use a software volume control it is better to use the volume control in the media player rather than using the Windows Mixer. Assuming that the media player you're using implements a 32-bit or 64-bit or other high quality volume control. The Windows Mixer does a low quality volume control that loses bit depth and sound quality. So best to bypass Windows Mixer if you can.

SKBubba, warp2600 and Mike-48 like this.
  7. rontokyo

I should have specified: using Foobar2000

Thank you for anticipating what I tried to get at in my original question. I've been using Foobar for years but until now was unaware that there may be the possibility to bypass the Windows mixer. If you're familiar with Foobar, perhaps you could help me with specific settings. If not, I'll do my best to figure it out. Again, thanks.

8. Ham Sandwich

Foobar has a high quality volume adjustment. Configure Foobar to use WASAPI exclusive mode or ASIO mode if Benchmark has an ASIO driver for your DAC. WASAPI exclusive and ASIO will bypass the windows mixer. Then use the volume slider in Foobar.

I don't use Foobar much. I'm not familiar with it enough to do a good job of explaining how to configure WASAPI exclusive and other settings so you get the best quality volume adjustments. Hopefully someone more familiar with Foobar will jump in.

harby and Mike-48 like this.
  9. rontokyo

Well, you've certainly given me a good start in configuring Foobar. I'll give it a shot. Thanks for your input.

10. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

I don't use Foobar, but I can guarantee that Benchmark will have an ASIO driver for any reasonably current version of Windows (7 and up). I'd start by downloading and installing that.

11. rontokyo

Hmm. I can DL an ASIO driver for Benchmark, but the instructions indicate that this driver is [I'm fairly certain] for use when using the USB function of the Benchmark. I *could* do that, but have thought that toslink would be better. Now I'm not so sure. . . .

12. Ham Sandwich

I spaced out that you were doing Toslink to the Benchmark. You'd need to find an ASIO driver for the sound card or the digital output that you're using. Most likely you won't find an ASIO driver for your Toslink output. Professional DACs will usually have ASIO drivers available. Consumer sound cards and computer motherboards will not.

So you'll need to configure the optical/digital output to use WASAPI exclusive mode. WASAPI works well in Windows 7, 8, 10.

13. rontokyo

I've installed WASAPI in Foobar -- and next will try to configure the optical MB output.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  14. rontokyo

So far no luck. And admit to being stuck. There are a multitude of WASAPI options available in Foobar device output, but none of them seem to do the trick.

15. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

just curious- why did you want to use toslink instead of usb?

16. BrilliantBob

BrilliantBob Select, process, CTRL+c, CTRL+z, ALT+v

I use TOSLINK from PC to my active speakers with quality optical cable but through a sound card capable of running ASIO 2.1 driver and PCM up to 192/24. Sound Blaster 5/Rx. SNR 106 dB.

17. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

ok @BrilliantBob I guess I'll ask you too then :)
    why toslink instead of usb?
    I'm always curious about setup questions like this- I have a ps4, a nintendo switch, 2 macs, a windows pc, and a turntable all running sound into my mytek dac so I'm always juggling inputs and devices.

18. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

I know nothing about Windows, so my response may not be helpful in this specific case, but, as a general rule, computer software-based volume controls dither the output as you reduce the volume. In theory, that reduces bits and degrades the signal. You want to set your music player software to max output (0 dB cut), and adjust your listening volume on the DAC or amp.

19. BrilliantBob

BrilliantBob Select, process, CTRL+c, CTRL+z, ALT+v

The signal through TOSLINK is more transparent than through wire cables. Less distortion and no interference from other devices. The differences are audible on my audio system with the speakers volume at maximum. The audition room is full of computer devices, fans, cables, power sources, etc.

I don't have USB input in my speakers, only RCA, HDMI and TOSLINK.

elvisizer likes this.
  20. SKBubba

SKBubba Forum Resident

You should be able to configure wasapi for toslink. I did that on my previous setup. Don't know foobar, but have it look for the device probably named something like 'realtek hd audio' or something, depending on your motherboard/sound card. The 'intel hd audio' or whatever is the hdmi output. Which it sounds like you could also use, and you can use wasapi with it, too.

21. rontokyo

Good question. Rightly or wrongly, I've "assumed" that Toslink would provide a "purer" audio source. That, and until I upgraded to the Benchmark DAC-1 USB, the first model Benchmark DAC-1 I'd used for many years did not have a USB input.

22. rontokyo

This is precisely what I currently do. The foobar volume is set at max volume. But as the Windows mixer volume [currently] is active, I can control volume with both it and the DAC. So my original question was: with both options available [DAC and Windows], what is the best way to proceed? But this current discussion has encouraged me to consider removing the Windows volume mixer from the chain altogether.

23. rontokyo

As mentioned earlier, there are a good many wasapi options available in foobar after wasapi installation. And I understand your message -- a "realtek hd audio" or the like should be among them, but so far it's alluded me. There doesn't seem to have been a handshake between the MB and foobar yet. But I'll check again.

Edit: the closest foobar has come to a handshake with the MB is mention of " DSD: (WASAPI push): AMD HD Audio device" -- but this option, like the several duplicates, don't work.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  24. SKBubba

SKBubba Forum Resident

Post a pic (or list of what it says) of your windows audio devices (use control panel, hardware and sound, sound, instead of the generic win10 settings dialog).

25. rontokyo

Apologies for the delay. Pleading ignorance: Is there free picture sharing software available anywhere?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.