"Conan" Show Changing Format; TeamCoco.com to host Conan O’Brien’s NBC archive*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Squealy, Jan 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

Haven't seen him in yearssssss. I think Conan is pretty irrelevant now. And if you cut the cord, he's not easy to see. Like another poster said, if he was on Hulu, that might help his exposure.

Don't like Fallon at all. I can't change the channel fast enough when his smug face comes on.

2. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

I take it you have not seen any of the Conan Without Borders shows.

3. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

The copyright lawyers will see to it that no such thing occurs.

4. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

SNL secured all the rights to musical performances, certainly possible Conan did the same....

5. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

But if you look on the SNL website, none of the musical performances are there.

6. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

Probably because they want to make money off them...they certainly are available wherever you can find full eps to buy or stream. They've even put out CD's of the most famous ones....

krock2009 likes this.
  7. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Only the first five season which include the musical performances.

krock2009 likes this.
  8. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

His trip to Italy with Jordan Schlansky was some of the funniest things he's ever done. Jordan is hilarious in his own right as well. The entire thing was long to watch but never felt like it because it was so entertaining.

I love his in-studio stuff as well but I'm at an age now where I don't care what celebrities think. Nowadays, it seems they just pat themselves on the shoulder because they're announcing they support a cause or are quite outspoken about political opinions. Or it's yet another attractive but boring model who might please younger viewers but I can't be bothered to waste my time with this drivel any longer.

Skits are what I always liked about his slant on comedy. There are amazing interviews he's done that are utterly hilarious but the gold is usually in the skits. I do miss the Clutch Cargo stuff and some recurring bits he had on NBC.

If you have 20-odd minutes and want to laugh, check out all of the videos from his trip in Italy. An instant classic, IMHO.

Conan In Italy

Make69, asdf35 and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

It depends on the publishing rights. Considering Conan had a lot of indie/alternative bands on his show, it's a possibility that they own their own publishing rights and can negotiate a flat fee to put the full performances on the air. The difference between Comedy Central showing SNL reruns and Conan too, is that they wee choosing what episodes to air and how frequently, it was controlled. Plus, the SNL episodes were broken down era when they were given to CC for airing, for instance, you had 1980-85, then 1985-95, then 1995-98(advertised as SNL:The Next Generation), and finally 1998-01. Each package had the publishing rights cleared beforehand(though Elliot Smith and Pavorotti's performances were cut out for some reason).

With streaming, the viewer controls the destiny of the content, so how they go about negotiating publishing rights remains to be seen.

Vidiot likes this.
  10. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

Yep, who could forget his trip to Canada with Triumph's infamous bit. And, of course, his trip to Sweden.

longdist01 likes this.
  11. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

2006 Finland episode is on YouTube. He did UK to get McCartney as well.

When does he have time to travel when he has to be at the studio 4 days a week?

12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Conan comes across way more human than Jimmy Fallon.

Vidiot and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

haven't watched conan since he left nbc, tbs seems too hard to find. never watched fallon once, or any of the other talk shows in decades really, wait what am I doing here...?

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  14. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

I know I will!

15. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

Ah, that's right Finland, not Sweden.

16. ScaredOfDeaf

ScaredOfDeaf Member

Conan is still the only talk show host that gets great interviews out of Bill Burr, so for that reason alone I hope he stays on the air!

asdf35 likes this.
  17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Conan seems like a very real person who enjoys what he does, and I don't get that feeling from Fallon.

alexpop likes this.
  18. alexpop

Fallon likes to drink after the show, chill him out no doubt.

19. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

A retooled half hour show seems the best way to go. I don't have cable and don't watch much online so I've missed Conan since he went to TBS. I've seen some but to me it was another talk show with monologue, something funny, then 3 guests. That routine is tired out. I don't want to invest myself into shows like that. At least in the early days, I watched Conan for Conan and not for the guests (much like Letterman during his better periods). A half hour show that can narrow down the good stuff with maybe one guest that Conan actually relates with seems the best route IMO.

20. alexpop

The best compere and most entertaining is Graham Norton.

21. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

Personally I think Conan should just retire from being a late night host. He was great in the late '90s (before Andy left) and then was solid right up to the point where he took over the Tonight Show.

BUT......he's just not the same anymore. Maybe it's because of the fallout from the Tonight Show, or maybe he can't figure out how to transition out of the "young irreverent upstart" persona......or maybe he's just plain burned out. But the magic is gone, it just is.

Letterman lost his fastball in the early 2000s.....but he was a crafty veteran who was able to adjust his game and eek out a few more journeyman seasons (largely due to the fact that he could still rely on his top-notch interviewing skills). Conan was never able to adjust.

jeremylr and Larry Geller like this.
  22. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

I discovered the Jordan clips about a week ago and have now seen as many as I can find at youtube. I can't get enough of those two guys together. It's my current comedy obsession. Was kinda sad to see this has been an ongoing thing for years and I missed it. (as usual)

In fact, Conan has always been a great show but I rarely ever remember to watch.

23. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Sadly he is mostly irrelevant now. Fallon and his team are smart to keep a strong presence on Youtube for the younger audience. They've had quite a few really hot viral videos over the years but as far as the actual show, I can't recall ever tuning in. The magic from Conan's Late Night tenure seemed to fade once he reached his dream gig of the The Tonight Show. Interestingly I'm now in the age range he was during his first few years as host in the early 90s. Back then his style seemed really fresh and edgy compared to Leno and Letterman. At the time I'd just tune out Leno/Letterman and just watch Simpsons and Married with Children re-runs as I waited for Conan's show to start. Of all the talk shows growing up, Conan's was easily the one I watched the most.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    MikaelaArsenault and snowman872 like this.
  24. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

25. anonsequitur

anonsequitur Forum Resident

The 1st NBC Late Night show archived is only 38 minutes.
    What's missing?
    I know Letterman's NBC Late Night show ran 44 minutes (sans commercials) back in the late 1980s.
    There were no musical guests on that 1st NBC Conan Late Night show.
    Doesn't bode well for complete shows, but it's certainly much better than nothing at all.

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.