Concern for Willie Nelson

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bill007, Nov 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jocko

Jocko Forum Resident

This is how it starts. I remember Miles Davis getting ill, and shortly after—gone.
    Get well Willie

Crimson Witch likes this.
  2. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Where in the f--k did that come from man?!

Nothing was even indirectly said condemning the lifestyle one might choose...

Next time pay closer attenation to what you read & please above all try very hard to absorb it as well

ARK and Michael like this.
  3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

what the heck??? and please no need for a personal attack...

4. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

Regret not going this summer last saw him at outlaw festival at montage and it was fabulous

5. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I'm not attacking any individual, but I will attack smoking with every fiber of my being. Smoking killed my father and I'm like Inigo Montoya. Anyway, it is a tangent. Willie is, as others have pointed out, 86. If he is very lucky, he may have another decade. But I would suggest that he switch to a vaporizer for his pot consumption.

6. He has. Or so he says.

Chris DeVoe and Rick Bartlett like this.
  7. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

What do you think the chances are of him considering that at this point or even at an earlier time?
    :)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. Rick Bartlett

Ah right!

9. Chris DeVoe

That, or edibles.

Jocko, DavidD and Fullbug like this.
  10. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

The fact that Willie and Snoop are friends warms my soul.

Hep Alien, cporcp, piepants and 6 others like this.
  11. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Tough, tough cat. Respect for him. A survivor he is.

12. mike s in nyc

mike s in nyc Forum Resident

hope he lives another 86 years! he's one of those singers that if had only a three note range left, he would know how to phrase those three notes just perfectly to create something wonderful.
    I only saw him once, from near the back row of the balcony of the beacon theater here in nyc back in the early-mid 90's, but it was fantastic.. he played like 30 or 40 songs or something! including a lot of the jazz standards album 'stardust' (i think that was the title) and lots of other things too...

13. Michael

yea, I feel the same way about alcohol...do you? I lost many musician friends to alcohol...none from smoking.

Fullbug and Rick Bartlett like this.
  14. Rick Bartlett

Exactly why I have near zero friends left in my life.
    Because they were older also.....

Matthew Tate and Michael like this.
  15. Michael

so damn sad...

Bill007 and Rick Bartlett like this.
  16. Rick Bartlett

Yes, including most of my family....

Bill007, Matthew Tate and Michael like this.
  17. the majority of Americans born in 1933 are already on the other side of the lawn. probably close to 2/3 of them. just saying.

from 2017 How Many People Are Alive From the Year You Were Born

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    RobRoyF, ianuaditis, NaturalD and 2 others like this.
  18. Michael

: ( wow...just terrible.

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  19. Chris DeVoe

Honestly, I haven't tended to develop friendships with people who drink, as I've never drank, smoked or taken any unprescribed drugs.

My musician friends tend to be addicted to practicing and playing, and the few friends I've lost have died of AIDS, and one was murdered.

20. dalem5467

dalem5467 Forum Resident

You can compare it to Loretta Lynn, age 87.

21. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

Or learn to bake, instead of just getting baked.

tin ears likes this.
  22. Rick Bartlett

That's a whole discussion in itself, hence why I spend my time here....

That's awful!
    When I was 15, playing in bands, they would line up 7 oz. glasses of beer on the stage in a row to 'inspire' you to play.....
    It was all free!
    Get home at midnight or so, have a shower to get rid of the cigarette smoke etc....
    Get up and go to school.
    I was in year 10 and 11 at that point.
    I had no idea the long term effect of that life would do to me.....
    :shake:
    No wonder why I never learned anything at school.

23. Chris DeVoe

I suspect he'd use Miss Alice B. Toklas's brownie recipe if he did.

Veni Vidi Vici likes this.
  24. Michael

one thing you will never hear: Alcohol free (any state)...but, we have to hear Tobacco free (all states) on broadcast TV, etc...where's the balance?...

tin ears and Rick Bartlett like this.
  25. Clinging to life so hard might make you miserable when you die.

It's like living with an anxiety disorder. The more you fight the feeling of anxiety the more it takes hold. Going with the feeling teaches you things. Anxiety loosens its grip.

I write this an internet friend, not as a combatant. You seem to have no problem pontificating over other people's vices...and I'm cool with that, honestly, I am. I simply wonder if life can be too much of a "vice," itself, as if death is the ultimate boogieman - your father's death - "too young" or not when you wanted, when the inevitable dictates the "right time" to go, nothing else.

I'm sure were not alone here. We both belong to the Dead Father's club. My father died at the age of 61, due to drinking and smoking. He was a damn fine man, who I miss every day - but somewhere along the way, being faced with my own death, on a very real level - seeing a young man die at the age of 20 - someone who was in my direct care, a perfect specimen of youth and vitality - I began to understand that's it's as simple as they say: "When it's your time to go, it's your time to go." In a linear space/time continuum there's no erasing past choices, there's no amount of healthy living, or disgusting vices that prevents you from stepping in front of that bus on X day, maybe even tomorrow.

There are statistics. There are statically anomalies. There are genetic predispositions. It all goes down the rabbit hole, but it doesn't address the fear of the unknown. I'm pretty sure that it won't be as bad as we make it out to be, for you, me, and Willie Nelson, see? :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.