Concern for Willie Nelson

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bill007, Nov 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Huh?

I'm sorry, but I did really don't get how that relates to what I said. I don't drink, smoke or use any non-prescription drugs. Which has absolutely nothing to do with how joyously I live my life. And as far as I can tell, especially when talking with friends who are in recovery from addictions, that most of those things don't in fact help one live more joyously.

The things I enjoy - music and movies - are harmless.

lazydawg58 and Rick Bartlett like this.
  2. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Being someone who is about 40, I have seen a bit of this myself now.
    I wonder how I've lasted to this point, considering the things I've done to myself.
    I've put myself in the path of the devil so many times, asking for immediate fate too.
    I had bad depression when I was younger, drank hard, drank and drove fast!
    Had a death wish.
    Yet, I didn't die or kill anybody which has been a miracle.....
    Meanwhile, I've seen others, quite young, so much more vibrant and talented and
    more worthy of life with so much more to live with, get perished in some awful way.
    Even now I think, 'why me?'
    I think about it, but try not to dwell on it the longer I'm around.
    You'd go crazy trying to comprehend it.
    Better off going with 'when it's your time to go, it's your time to go' and get on with it.

Hep Alien, EVOLVIST, fishcane and 2 others like this.
  3. The totality of your postings on similar subjects. Not just this one. But it's cool. It's really not my place. I'll think of other 1s and 0s.

I apologize.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  4. Chris DeVoe

It's definitely a hijack on this particular thread, and this is the last I'll say about it:

Both of my parents smoked, my father died of lung cancer, my mother of a stroke.

And though I've never smoked in my life, I have chronic bronchitis and I've been hospitalized for pneumonia twice. If secondhand smoke wasn't harmful, how did my lungs get so screwed up?

Anyway, I'm going to leave and go see some live music - David Wax Museum.

5. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

It’s called COPD, folks. Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. A.K.A. emphysema. Pretty common for someone his age who has smoked heavily for the past sixty years. A little oxygen via nasal cannula would have helped, but might not have looked too cool on stage.

When he dies a part of me will die with him. Unless I get hit by a truck or something else first.

6. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Yes.

Not a good idea.

Yes.

Secondhand smoke and firsthand smoke are harmful. My grandfather died of emphysema and smoked to the end. Chronic bronchitis is painful and somewhat depressing.
    I wish Willie health and happiness. But addiction is slavery and having trouble breathing is scary and not to be envied.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  7. President_dudley

President_dudley Forum Resident

Here's a song i first heard from Joan Baez.

Willie Nelson - One Day At A Time 1965,on Ernest Tubb Tv Shows

Didn't know it was his song until just a day or so ago.

melstapler likes this.
  8. Rick Bartlett

While we're talking about the happy subject of dying....
    I always loved Willie's comment about 'Trigger' (paraphrasing)
    'As long as he keeps going, so will I..... I think we'll probably finish out together'.
    That's almost romantic.
    :love:

Hep Alien, melstapler and mark ab like this.
  9. Pierino

Pierino Forum Resident

Actually, Willie has probably been smoking heavily for about 70 years.

You mentioned COPD and that it wouldn't look too cool on stage getting oxygen via nasal cannula. I was surprised to learn that Chuck Negron, formerly of Three Dog Night, is suffering from COPD. Then I actually got to see him perform with The Happy Together Tour over the last two years. Chuck actually DOES have that oxygen hookup on stage while he is performing. While you can see a long tube protruding from the bottom of his pants leg running across the stage, connected to oxygen off stage, you can barely see the small tubes around his nose/nostrils. Check out this video:

Bill007 likes this.
  10. Whats not a good idea? :confused:

11. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

His first joint was in 1954.

12. Rick Bartlett

I watch a lot of this early stuff.
    It's hard to see what potential this guy would have and how he re-invented himself.
    Like Waylon, it's great watching the evolution of these guys.

13. Right, but he said it didn't do anything for him. He didn't feel the effect. Some time several years later, I believe it was after his return to Texas in 1958, he was hanging out with someone - Ray Price maybe? - that it knocked him on his ass.

He thought it was better than liquor or uppers, that he felt in control. It was soon after that he was on the road; he had a brand new pack of cigarettes, dumped them all out and filled up the pack with 20 joints. So, every time he felt like having a cigarette he'd light up one of them squares. He never smoked another cigarette. I'm pretty sure his drinking tapered off soon after, and never touched alcohol either.

I mean, one can say what one wants, but there's a certain logic to it. Smoking as many jays as Willie has can't be good on the respitory system. On the other hand, it's a fact that THC has fair anti-inflammatory properties. (I say "fair," because unlike many pro-cannabis supporters would have you believe, it's not a cure-all anti-inflammatory medicine.)

That said, the chances of getting COPD is elevated by age, anyway. This is smokers and non-smokers alike.

What I don't get is people railing against Willie Nelson as if he shouldn't be doing this or that. Like, what is it about 86-years old do you not understand? What is it about Willie's whole life do you not understand? He's been kicking it his way his whole life. He's never walked a path that wasn't his own.

If Willie Nelson died tonight, then big cheers for one of the remarkable lives ever lived.

Not many people reach the status of National Treasure. Few could argue Willie's status as just that.

14. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Exactly right.

905, raveoned, EVOLVIST and 1 other person like this.
  15. Chris DeVoe

16. Rick Bartlett

He's always been pretty honest with himself too, acknowledging what we've come to suspect
    that he has been having breathing problems.
    The mans a real 'rock star'.

17. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Fullbug and Chris DeVoe like this.
  18. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

My previous post a while back that lots of folk on the forum scoffed at has been vindicated...

Willie Nelson quits smoking grass & says it contributed to his health issues...

I knew I was right all along, right on Willie!!

19. Chris DeVoe

And I said that I'm confident that Willie has switched to edibles, and that no doubt he's going to become the brand ambassador for a complete line of brownies, chocolate bars, gummy bears, suckers... you name it.

He's going to be as well known as a guarantor of quality as Paul Newman's Newman's Own brand. Or possibly live on forever as a logo - the Colonel Harland Sanders of cannabis.

soarer29 and teag like this.
  20. samthesham

I could care less if it eats trays of it, my point is he was another intelligent Texas that saw the error of his ways & thankfully now has corrected it...

Like I said my post has now been vindicated.Period.

21. Chris DeVoe

It only took him 50 years or so.

22. samthesham

Addiction works like that on everybody, some go to their grave before realizing it

23. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

You forgot the Na Na Na-boo-boo in your post

EVOLVIST likes this.
  24. samthesham

That was indirectly stated in my post, so I forgot nothing

25. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Guess you can do no wrong!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.