Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Concert For George reissue CD/LP/DVD Feb 23, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by zgredzik, Jan 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maybe Tom Hanks wouldn’t give permission for his lumberjack likeness. :tiphat:

Maidenpriest likes this.
  2. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Monty Python is on the Vinyl and DVD etc :(

Mazzy likes this.
  3. chacha

chacha Forum Resident

George’s sister is living in poverty? Did they have a falling out? That’s crazy.

4. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

xilef regnu likes this.
  5. I was being snarky. It’s what I do. :tiphat:

Get a video machine or Victoria.

Maidenpriest likes this.
  6. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Forum Resident

7. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

I should clarify by saying that it's not clear whether the remastering credit relates to audio, video or both. It simply states "remastered by".

8. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

amoergosum and chacha like this.
  9. Yes he said the new Blu-ray looks better than the older Blu-ray. But the original dvd looks better than the 2011 Blu-ray so we need to compare the dvd to the new Blu-ray.

10. George Harrison - Concert for George: Isn't It A Pity

11. Maidenpriest

I see no reason to buy this again !!

12. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Huh?

13. The original dvd looks better than the first Blu-ray issue. @chacha posted this earlier.

I’m wondering If this new Blu-ray funally bests the original dvd

14. Maidenpriest

The original DVD is good enough for me it does not get enough repeated views to warrant an upgrade !!

Mazzy likes this.
  15. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

If he likes looking at the upscaling/deinterlacing his player did to the DVD, he should apply the same settings when playing an interlaced Blu-ray and then maybe it will be a fair comparison

16. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

17. Sargon

Sargon "Unmasked". General Ursis away on COVID lockdown.

I collect Criterion movies. This company is famous for their meticulous restoration of movies. Many of their DVDs are out of print and command very high prices - because of this. I have found, however, that when another company gets the right to release the movie (without the careful restoration goals of Criterion), but they release it in Blu-ray, it ALWAYS looks better for the simple reason that a blu-ray has FOUR TIMES the resolution of a DVD. There is just way more visual information on the screen. The result is much greater detail, clarity, and depth - even though some hues are not as accurate and more artifacts are present than the carefully restored Criterion dvd.

BTW, 4K is FOUR TIMES the resolution of blu-ray. - Overkill, except for very large tvs.

18. Of course I understand all this but I've had several DVDs over the years that look more natural film like than Blu-rays. All comes down to mastering.

Clear and more information does not always mean better.

Anyway in this particular case I enjoy the DVD over the original blue-ray which Ive only seen once (I've seen the DVD many times). Just curious how the two blue-ray versions compare and how the new one compares to the original DVD.

I have the deluxe box on order so I doubt I'll see the new one until April.... unless i juts have to but the video sooner :tiphat:

chacha likes this.
  19. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

Download is the entire show as stated, so at least we got that in digital audio only now.

20. chacha

chacha Forum Resident

Has anyone played the LPs yet? I see someone has them for sale in the vinyl forum.

21. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

Is the blu ray available without the CDs?

Peace and love✌

22. Sargon

Sargon "Unmasked". General Ursis away on COVID lockdown.

WELL STATED! I completely agree. You are among the few who knows what 24 fps film should look like. Some grain and that flatter look of a movie - rather than being in the room with the actors on the stage like a play - which hyper clarity and motion smoothing can bring to destroy the look of film.

However, when it comes to live shows - sports and stage, I would think that the in your face clarity and presence would be preferred. I confess however, I don't really have experience with viewing live shows - so I could easily end up preferring your experience here as well.

The 4k tvs are destroying that film-look in my opinion by the way.

Mazzy likes this.
  23. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Keep the Kinks out of this, Mazzy!

24. I'm a film person. My friend @chacha here is more well versed with these different subtleties than I am but that is anther reason I bought the very last greatest Panny Plasma 60". I LOVE that it has a more cinematic look that all these new flat panels. The films I love look more like films for the most part on my television.

25. I'm an habitual typo villain. :tiphat: I rush my posts and texts. I really need to breathe and take a beat before I hit the post button.

chacha likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.