Concert For George reissue CD/LP/DVD Feb 23, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by zgredzik, Jan 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

I found the Blu-ray to be a noticeable improvement over the DVD on my TC-P60VT60 plasma, but even if I found the picture to be equal the bump to lossless surround sound seals the deal. I don't find any DVDs eye popping these days and have had Oppos, Pioneers, etc. Using a Sony right now for 4K as it does SACD/DVD-A and streams .mkv full BD rips from my PC.

Star Wars I was shot on film and converted to digital
    Star Wars II was shot digitally at 1440x1080
    When Star Wars III was being shot they finally had an option to shoot at 1920x1080

So II and III on UHD will be upconverts...remains to be seen if they'll want to spend money going back to the negatives for Episode I to create a true 4K master. Kind of funny that Episodes IV~VI could have new 4K masters done while the prequel trilogy is forever limited in resolution thanks to emerging technology!

2. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

There are tons of bootlegs out there, covering at least a few hours of outtakes and unreleased material. Whether it's "great" is a matter of opinion, and how much the listener is really interested in George's solo career, post-ATMP, but certainly if there's a market for vinyl reissues of his lesser-appreciated solo records, there's an audience for a well-curated Anthology-style set of alternates and outtakes and such. It's just someone having the time, and the will, and the access, to put it together.

I do think these type of things are generally best compiled by an outsider, rather than by Olivia or Dhani exclusively, but whether they'd ever allow it is another matter entirely.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  3. Mr. Explorer

Mr. Explorer Trumpet Man/Dapper Dan

Thing is it’s even less (vertical lines) than that because of the 2.35:1 aspect ratio! As far as 4K releases are concerned, all the prequels (and special editions of the OT) would also need their special effects redone or re-rendered at 4K or higher to get the best results out of them. Not easy. Anyways back to George (Harrison)!

4. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

Very curious to see this, very touching concert.

5. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

Wonderfully played, filmed, and recorded! Very enjoyable.

lennon_08518, MRamble and longdist01 like this.
  6. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Great concert, one of the best tribute concerts ever. But when I saw the press release starting off to the effect of "Celebrating what would have been Georges' 75th birthday" I got my hopes up and then let down. Sure it deserves a vinyl and blu ray release, but if this is all the estate has planned I'll be disappointed. This year it's the Concert for George, last year they marked his birthday with the George Fest tribute concert. It would be great if they celebrate his life by releasing stuff that actually feature him alive and playing! I'm sure previous posters have mentioned the obvious candidates, and who knows, maybe we'll be surprised later this year with something (if the complete Esher demos are released for the White Album 50th, I'll count that as a George release and thank Olivia ,Dhani & whoever else for it!) But as it stands, I was really hoping for something "new " and don't know if i can justify this set at that price. But since I'm a sucker and George is my fave, I most likely will cave in...:D

7. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

As an aside, it's been a while since I watched the film and seeing the trailer made me remember what a damn good line up that was.The only thing that could have improved this show would have been an appearance from his Bobness, but even still, it's damn near perfect.

8. Well the last year or so they put out what might be the biggest and heaviest vinyl box set evet. Career spanning. So they haven't been doing nothing.

Quincy, Mr. Explorer and joeislive like this.
  9. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

When did my 2011 Blu-ray go OOP ?

ted321 likes this.
  10. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Having seen it all the way through only once, and having held off on settling for the ubquitous DVD version (hell, I think I even saw one for sale at my convenience store next to the Slim Jims :( ) for the much-better-reviewed Blu-ray which has been going for live kidneys and firstborn children lately, it was great relief to see it available in a more-reasonable-priced edition. I was afraid the only way they'd re-release this more-desirable version, might be with the LP's, commemorative tome, three USB stick full of rehersal performances, and a certificate-of-authenticity glued to a 45 of Billy Preston's appearance in Robert Stigwood's Sgt. Pepper's movie...:hurlleft:

But now I see I only have to waste money on 2 CD's and another Blue-Ray I wasn't asking for just to get the Blu-Ray I wanted, I feel much better now.

I may even be able to afford a pizza this week! :cheers:

11. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Don’t hesitate to pick up the DVD at your convenience store. It looks great.

12. The dvd looks more film like

Lewisboogie and chacha like this.
  13. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

I'm happy about the deluxe edition, I ordered mine today.
    Such a fine concert, sonically and visually...
    Finally on LP.. and done right! Will go well with the original program I've
    had for years. I am really sick about waiting too long, and missing out on the four test pressing LP's for an extra C-note. There was only 15 available, but glad I acted on the super deluxe at 1000 produced- they'll be gone soon.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  14. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

True, thats a great box. But still just a reissue of albums. But I'm waiting for them to ration out some more stuff from the Friar Park vaults

Lewisboogie and ronbow like this.
  15. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

I don't know. I think at some point the anecdotal reports of vault treasures are outweighed by the reality of the last 16 years. Why did Brainwashed include at least a couple of recordings from a decade earlier? Why was Early Takes only 30 minutes long? Why do most of the reissued albums have only one or two bonus tracks? Why wasn't a new original song released on Let It Roll or in connection with the Living in the Material World documentary? Why is nearly every "new" track released since Brainwashed a demo or alternate take of a familiar song? If they have dozens and dozens of tracks ready to go, then why do they behave like they're making the most of a very limited supply?

You could certainly fill a few CDs with rarities, since the non-album tracks and bootlegs are out there, but I've started to think there may not be that much in the vault that we don't already know about.

16. And maybe the artist didn’t want extras out ?

chacha likes this.
  17. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

18. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

Yeah I'll be skipping this one. Apparently, there is nothing of interest in the Harrison vaults.

Whoever is in charge of the Harrison estate should be fired.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  19. chacha

Oh please..

mindgames, Mazzy and Mr. Explorer like this.
  20. You know it’s all about them.

21. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

Sorry dude, just the way I feel. Been waiting on them to release something interesting but if more reissues are your cup o tea then by all means.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  22. We get about the desire for unreleased music but firing whomever is in charge of the estate is just silly. :tiphat:

23. chacha

This wouldn’t surprise me in the least and seems probably likely to me.

Mazzy likes this.
  24. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Did anyone here happen to purchase the deluxe box w/ the additional Test Pressing LP's ?

25. I think one person here did. Apparently Only 15 of them

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.