Concert videography

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Sep 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Just looking at that video for the firs time in years, makes me realize why iPhone videos are a joke. Try moving from a medium close up to a close-up in slow zoom while tracking someone with a camera. Thank god for big zoom rockers. Touch screen my butt.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

Terrible lenses, terrible microphones, no optical zoom - but at least it'll fit in somebody's back pocket. Oh, and the physical design makes people want to hold the camera vertically.

There have been a few situations when I've been confined to one camera, most notably the late, unlamented Tin Angel in Philadelphia:

3. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

In hindsite, I would have dedicated one iMac to a video editing only computer and then not upgraded, ever. Although, I do really like the easy export feature of Premiere, and the vast amount of authoring dvd menus. I don’t even recall if my last version of Final Cut had that option; if it did, I never used it. I just outputed to a DVD stand alone player that also burned discs and had a very basic menu you could embed on the disc.

4. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Regarding your “luck” comment, I think we all need a little bit of that thrown in with a lot of experience! And, for me I now trust myself enough to “edit” as I’m filming, trusting that the other cameras are getting what I need to cut into my footage as I film with the main camera. That’s scary sometimes, but often they will position actors on two extreme sides of the stage, so I will stay in tight on the right and hope the other camera is getting that tight shot on the other side. It’s quite amazing what you can do by yourself if you know what you are doing! Who would ever guess that most of your assembled concert footage is shot by yourself? I did do a concert once as a favor, and it was nice to hand a camera off, like you do, to someone to get walk around close up footage, knowing if they blew it (how ‘bout those shaky quick zoom in and out shots) it wouldn’t have serious consequences.

Ghostworld likes this.
  5. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

But being close up really makes up for the flaws you mentioned, and quite frankly, not a big issue. I cannot stand watching most modern concerts put out by the major companies. You can’t possibly get into the emotion of what is going on with the performers when they cut away literally every two seconds. Just hate it! And what about some where they cut to the crowd way too much...who the heck wants to see that? Yes, perhaps they are “covering” some mistakes, but with a pro concert I really doubt it as they should have plenty of other shots to choose from.

6. Chris DeVoe

I've got a minimum shot length. I've never measured it, but when I play it back after doing a rough cut, I know that it's just too fast.

7. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

What is DVD HD? Never heard of the format.

I thought Adobe went to a subscription business model, and it is not being sold, like you don't "buy" it?

On PC, I love Sony Vegas 13 btw.

8. Chris DeVoe

There was a format called HD DVD, that was an early competitor with Blu-ray. And it's also possible to put HD mpeg-4 video on a DVD disc. But I'm not certain myself.

I'm not clear whether or not it's possible to buy the new version at all or, like Creative Cloud, you can only subscribe
    I never moved to Vegas for my main editing tool, but one thing I love about it is it can load even damaged files. My major problem with GoPros is that if anybody unplugs it before I can stop it, the final file is truncated and damaged. So I have to run a tool to repair it, but even then Edius doesn't like loading it. But I can load the repaired file into Vegas, then re-render it out into a file that Edius does like.

Sadly Sony sold their software division, and it's not clear whether or not Vegas is going to truly be supported.

9. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Yes, it must be the same deal as you can author a DVD to a CD-R if you keep the running time short enough and it will play fine on DVD players.

Yeah, I think since 2013 it has been subscription only. GhostWorld seems to be only five years behind on software and HD DVD technology. I am joking of course, and my Sony Vegas is two years out of date from the latest release and I am not sure I will go any further with Vegas. Either AVID or DaVinci + Resolve might be my next NLE if I have the hardware to pull it off. Both of those are stringent on what it takes to fly them. But Vegas 13 is the most user friendly right out of the box, and can handle multi-cam, and everything else one could need.

Interesting, and important to know actually.

Yes, as of on 20 September 2016 it is owned by MAGIX and they are continuing to develope and support it. But there are fans of the Vegas NLE system who don't like the post Sony versions. There are now vers. 14, 16, & 17 as well is just out last week, Sept. 3rd.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  10. Chris DeVoe

Can't say I like this move to subscriptions.

Up until a month or so ago, I was using a 2011 laptop. I had upgraded it to within an inch of it's life, but I'm really good at hardware, so I can keep this stuff working. I'm using an HP zBook right now, a "mobile workstation" that can support two NVME drives plus one 2.5" SATA internally. As I said, I ran Resolve before I installed any other software on a fresh Windows 10 installation, but as soon as I installed anything else, I get a "System Error - The code execution cannot proceed because OpenCL.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix the problem." OpenCL.dll is in eight different places on my computer. Needless to say, I'm not exactly impressed with the robustness of Resolve.

11. Chris DeVoe

Same here. When I'm down by the stage, I'm mostly filling in what's being missed by all the rest of the cameras. Just have to remember what's aimed where.

12. Chris DeVoe

To quote myself, why should I shoot video with a DLSR? I've lost jobs to people who shoot with them, but I've looked at the result and it didn't look that different. They seem like a pain with short loads and audio sync issues.

13. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

"DLL Hell" to this day. (That is the official Microsoft name for this BUG IN WINDOWS of 23+ years.)
    Something fairly simple to try: see if there is a OpenCL.dll in \windows\system and-or \windows\system32. If there is, rename it to OpenCL.dllbak. Then search and find all your OpenCL.dll versions, and copy the one with the latest date to \windows\system and \windows\system32 .
    Then reboot and try.
    If that doesn't work, put things back - delete the ones you copied into those directories and rename back the .dllbak to .dll and reboot and give up on it for now. Thanks Microsoft. And Resolve.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  14. Chris DeVoe

I blame Resolve, as I have plenty of other programs that don't require specific versions of a particular DLL. That's just poor programming practice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.