Concerts where you went for the headliner, but were blown away by the opener

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AleYeah, Nov 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

At the request of a friend, I went with him to see Kansas in early 1978.
    The opening act was Cheap Trick which blew both of us away!
    We went and bought both of their albums that were out at the time.
    I got the better one, I think, getting the debut, he getting In Color.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  2. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

Midlake supporting the Flaming Lips. They had just released The Trials of Van Occupanther.

AA Bondy supporting the Felice Brothers.

3. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

I saw Cage The Elephant open for Stone Temple Pilots. They left quite an impression before I really knew who they were.

starfieldroad likes this.
  4. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

Old 97's smoked Wilco in Detroit at the Majestic Theater when I saw them in 1999.

5. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

I saw the Kinks in 1981. I would not say he blew me away, but a young Canadian lad named Bryan Adams was very entertaining.

6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I think we already discussed this but I'm old and forgetful: were you at the Cap Centre show?

7. T-Mac

T-Mac Forum Resident

Early 2007 went to go see the healing band Pelican, the opening act was Russian Circles, who went on to blow me away.

Couple years back I saw King Buffalo open for Elder, same thing. Continue to follow both bands, actually all 4

8. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Yes.

Adams did some song about being jilted. He injected a monologue in the middle where he liberally used the "BS" word and then ended it with a F... Y...!

Very amusing to this then 16 year old.

9. Oatsdad

That show was 1/14/82, so you misremembered the year by a couple of weeks! :D

My 1st concert in 4 years and 2nd concert ever!

10. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Late 90s. Went for Death In Vegas. Black Star Liner were the incredible support act.

11. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Black Sabbath blown away by Van Halen in 1978. New Haven Connecticut and Denver. Aerosmith getting destroyed by Twisted Sister at the Nassau Coliseum around '81. Nobody comes out alive at ground zero for The Sistah on Long Island. Aerosmith never came on fer over an hour as the masses were going crazy "Sistah ! Sistah!" forever.

12. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Age ...

I also saw the Kinks there with Greg Kihn opening.

13. Nitrous

Nitrous Forum Resident

Went to see Teenage Fanclub perform Bandwagonesque which was fantastic but the support were The Bevis Frond Who were awesome. I had never heard of them up to that point.

starfieldroad and zphage like this.
  14. Oatsdad

Me too - June 1983! :righton:

I saw the Kinks another 7 times after that, but they never played Cap Center again!

15. 51IS

51IS Forum Resident

Ted Nugent opening for ZZ Top, PIL opening for INXS, Gravity Kills before Green Day at a festival. Had to stay awake during Green Day because the Foo Fighters were after that.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

the only one was Charlie Daniels opening up for The NRPS...

17. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Just a few weeks ago I arrived to see Hot Tuna and got the surprise treat of David Bromberg opening, who I'd never seen. Won't say he eclipsed Tuna, but he thoroughly charmed and I loved his set. Some fine pickin' & fiddlin' (and lotsa grinnin') in that there band.

garymc likes this.
  18. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Another notable is Glen Hansard solo acoustic, opening for Eddie Vedder a few years ago. I didn't know him at all (outside of The Commitments), or even that there was an opener, till my Irish girlfriend advised me not to miss him. He was so inspiring I seriously considered quitting my job to go busking. Before Eddie (who was also wonderful) even hit the stage.

I didn't, sigh......

john lennonist likes this.
  19. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

The Beta Band opening for Radiohead.

20. Dingly Del Boy

Dingly Del Boy Forum Resident

Love Russian Circles (and Pelican) - unfortunately not seen them live yet. That's a show I'd like to see for sure.

21. Afronautz

Afronautz Forum Resident

Went to see Rick James on his 1979 "Fire It Up" tour and was completely blown away by his opening act: PRINCE.

22. Dingly Del Boy

Dingly Del Boy Forum Resident

Laura Marling opening for Neil Young at the Aberdeen Exhibition and Conference Centre, June 2009. Strange match up you'd think. Neil was awesome, but it was the first time I'd seen Laura Marling whose first album I still love enormously. She owned that big venue despite being still a teenager. Next time was a couple of years later in a small venue in Inverness.

23. achaian

achaian New Member

Tool opening for The Rollins Band at the Warfield in San Francisco. 1992, I think.

24. Fitzeire

Fitzeire Well-Known Member

Saw both Nick Lowe(solo acoustic) and The Replacements open for Elvis Costello and play dazzling sets. The Beautiful South opened for Barenaked Ladies in Pittsburgh and although I didn't see a soul who knew a song of theirs I know a good portion of the crowd was searching the next day. Finally, and it sticks out to me most, was Steve Forbert in front of a packed Arena opening for Dylan in the late eighties. Just an unforgettable show delivered in a difficult spot.

25. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

Rush ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.