Concerts you went to for the opening act, not the headliner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jparis51, Aug 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. old school

old school Senior Member

2001 Opeth opening for Nevermore. Kept hearing how great the Swedish band was incredible show. Nevermore was outclassed big time.

Todd W. likes this.
  2. scottM

scottM Forum Resident

2001 PJ Harvey opening for U2.

3. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Thin Lizzy opening up for Queen in 1976.
    Went in a huge Thin Lizzy fan, left being a huger Queen fan.

4. vivatones

vivatones Forum Resident

Michael Nesmith opening for James Cotton Blues Band

seacliffe301 and AlmanacZinger like this.
  5. blueslover99

blueslover99 Forum Resident

I also saw this tour, only came for Dylan...only about a third of the crowd was there for his set. I remember leaving the venue before it was even dark out and the Dead fans coming in were yelling at us leaving the venue asking where we were going. Had the same experience seeing John Fogerty open for Mellencamp. Stayed to see Fogerty guest with Mellencamp on Scarecrow 2 or 3 songs in and left.

moople72 likes this.
  6. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

I went to a Bryan Adams concert on his Waking Up The Nation Tour in 1992. While I think Bryan Adams is OK I really wanted to see Arc Angels that were slated as the opening act. It wasn't until I got to the site that I heard the Arc Angels had to cancel and were replaced by some band that I don't even recall the name of. Man was I disappointed! I later heard it was because Doyle Bramhall II was strung out on heroin and couldn't play.

7. Whizz Kid

Whizz Kid Forum Resident

I travel a lot to see Ian Hunter & the Rant Band... usually headlining in a small club or theater... but during a short 4-date California tour in 2007, IH was in the middle of a triple bill headlined by the Zombies.

This was shortly after the Zombies had reunited and the shows were something of a big deal. But we were there to see Ian Hunter... so I only watched the Zombies the first night. For the other three shows, we left after Hunter's set. In retrospect, I probably should have stayed for what were then rare / significant performances... but hindsight is 20/20.

I also recall having a ticket to see Mott (without Ian Hunter) opening for ZZ Top in 1976. There was a last minute change of support act / no Mott... and I had no real interest in ZZ Top... so I sold off my ticket.

The other one I can think of was in the late 70s... went to see City Boy open for Prism... left before Prism came on.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    DME1061 and footlooseman like this.
  8. Workin' Pants

Workin' Pants Active Member

Hooters opening for Loverboy
    The Alarm opening for Dylan
    The Replacements opening for Tom Petty
    Radiohead opening for Belly
    Uncle Tupelo opening for Teenage Fanclub
    Hamell on Trial opening for Melissa Ferrick
    Hamell on Trial opening for The Bogmen
    Lisa Germano opening for Eels
    Guided by Voices opening for Urge Overkill
    Guided by Voices opening for Cheap Trick
    Sleater-Kinney opening for Pearl Jam
    Camper Van Beethoven opening for Cracker (6 times)
    Big Thief opening for that Americana band from Rhode Island whose name I can't remember

MattyDC likes this.
  9. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

David Johanson opening for Southside Johnny who were awful btw.

10. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

I do this all the time.

Most recently: Carlton Melton opening for Mammatus, 2 weekends ago.
    Upcoming: Trad Gras Och Stenar opening for Ryley Walker

citizensmurf likes this.
  11. Workin' Pants

Workin' Pants Active Member

Remembered two more:

The Call opening for the Psychedelic Furs
    Tears for Fears opening for Hall & Oates

danielbravo likes this.
  12. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Julia Nunes, sandwiched between the Mowgli's and Walk Off The Earth. They all put on a great show and I ended up buying their albums, but the only one I'd heard of was Julia. Shortly afterwards, she started doing living room tours, and she's played at my house three times since 2013.

13. McRich

McRich Forum Resident

Ha, I had the same experience. I like Petty, but I was definitely there to see The Replacements!

DME1061 and rswitzer like this.
  14. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

That would be the Stereophonics at the Melbourne Forum around 1999.
    I can’t even remember the headliner, precisely because I was not there to see them.
    I’m glad I got to see the original trio.

15. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

allan holdsworth/chic corea

16. ConnieGuitar

ConnieGuitar Here in my balloon...

Patti Smith opening for Neil Young - 2012 (I think?) Not that I didn't want to see Neil but still

Pretenders opening for Stevie Nicks - 2017

LandHorses likes this.
  17. pjc1

pjc1 Forum Resident

I went to see the Replacements opening for Elvis Costello.

Others:
    - The Church opening for Echo + the Bunnymen
    - The The opening for Depeche Mode
    - The Alarm opening for Bob Dylan
    - Mark Knopfler opening for Bob Dylan

Gavinyl, McRich and ConnieGuitar like this.
  18. powerq

powerq Forum Resident

Ian Hunter opened for Heart.
    Travis Meadows opened for Jack Ingram.
    I would have seen Little Steven open for U2, but when my friend asked if I wanted to go, the full bill had not been announced yet. Oops.

footlooseman likes this.
  19. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

UFO opening for Rick Derringer, Bob Seger, and Peter Frampton in 1977

Shearwater opening for Sharon Van Etten

Wesley Stace opening for the Jayhawks (but I adore the Jayhawks, and they were fantastic)

I ended up having to miss the show, but I totally planned to drive three hours to see Martha play for 45 minutes, blow off headliner Jeff Rosenstock, and drive three hours home.

sloaches and Northwind like this.
  20. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

I saw that show as well. Somewhat amusing story regarding this show...

I had bought a pair of pretty good floor seats tickets from a ticket agency for both this show as well as ZZ Top playing the Sports Arena the night before. The agency must of had some sort of lock on those rows/seats as they were the exact same seats for both shows. So the day before the ZZ Top show, a long lost High School friend who now worked at the LA Times who I hadn't seen in a few years just drops by my place out of the blue and we hang out for the day. After he leaves, I later discover my tickets for both shows are gone, swiped out of a little music box I had in my living room. Pissed, I contact the ticket agency who of course can't help me but they happen to have *another* pair of tickets right next to my original tickets so I go ahead and buy them.

Next night, my work buddy and I go to the ZZ Top show and kind of discretely hang around near our floor section waiting to see who'd show up in my original seats thinking maybe my old "friend" would show up. Not long before the show starts, these two kids, not more'n about 17 years old show up and we confront them. Turns out my ol' pal sold these two kids who also worked at the Times my ZZ Top tickets but not the J Geils/U2 tickets. So after the show we head straight over to my ol' buddy's house banging on his door at 2am like a pair of hitman. Dude sheepishly apologizes, gives me back the J Geils/U2 tickets and the money he made selling my stolen ZZ Top tickets. Never saw him again.

Went to the J Geils show the next night, had a great time. It was my second time seeing U2 as I had seen them a year before playing the Reseda Country Club during the "Boy" tour. As I recall, J Geils set was pretty epic, they did 3 encores, the last one several minutes after the house lights came on and people were filing out the arena.

Steve Litos, Galeans and segue like this.
  21. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

Little Feat when they opened for George Thuroghgood and the Destroyers.

22. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

A few where I looked forward more to support acts vs the headliner:

Girlschool and especially Iron Maiden opening for The Scorpions - 1982
    The Clash opening for The Who - 1982 (both were disappointing).
    Loudness opening for Motley Crue - 1985
    X opening for The Red Hot Chili Peppers - 1985
    Wendy O'Williams opening for Motorhead - 1985
    Motorhead opening for Alice Cooper - 1987
    The Cult opening for Billy Idol - 1987
    Guns n' Roses opening for The Cult - 1987
    Cherry Bombz opening for Poison - 1988
    Guns n' Roses opening for Aerosmith - 1988
    Black Sabbath with Rob Halford opening for Ozzy(!) - 1992
    Bauhaus opening for Nine Inch Nails - 2006
    Kings X opening for Extreme - 2008

But probably the most memorable example I recall is Gary Moore opening for Rush in 1984. At the time, a friend and I were really major Gary Moore fans. He didn't play the US much and at the time he was plugging the Victims Of The Future album and the only way to see him was supporting Rush.

My friend and I *hated* Rush at the time.

Still, we bought something like pricey 10th row seats for the Irvine Meadows shed date from a ticket agency just to see Moore. So we see Moore's set, catch maybe 3 songs of Rush's set and decide to go hang out up on the lawn area, maybe drink a few big gulp beers hoping that may make Rush more palatable. No dice, bored outta our minds. So we give our 10th row tickets to this couple who act like they just won the lottery and we leave.

I didn't see Rush again until 2002 on a day-of-show whim and wound up becoming a total convert.

Experiencereunited likes this.
  23. hardknox

hardknox Forum Resident

Two that I can think of:

February '74 - Allen Theater, Cleveland - Springsteen opening for Wishbone Ash
    February '75 - Riverside Theater, Milwaukee - Roxy Music opening for Babe Ruth

Jimmy B. likes this.
  24. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

Dokken opening for Twisted Sister. (I had bad taste in high school.)

Guns n Roses opening for the Rolling Stones. (HUGE GnR fan back then, was not into Steel Wheels and didn't know anything more about the Stones at the time than their biggest hits.)

Exodus played a show during the Headbangers Ball tour in 88 or thereabouts. I don't remember who the headliner was because I didn't care.

Steve Litos likes this.
  25. tomd

tomd Senior Member

Went to see The Stereo MCs opening for Jesus Jones

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.