Concord Music Group gets Paul McCartney Back Catalogue (Pt. 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Alan, May 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

You beat me on that. The cool Biker painting really rocks, you anti-Biker will have to swallow that one this time! :D

2. jricc

jricc Senior Member

The first note to "1985" is intact on the original Columbia Cd as well.

3. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Wow, I find that fascinating. I wonder if there is video of Wings actually in the studio in Lagos recording the album?

4. gswan

gswan Forum Resident

Hi,

I've been frantically searching the forum, someone recently mentioned a program you download and it allows you to keep any video you find on the net, so you would copy and paste the web chat url and be able to save it, does anyone know of the program i'm speaking about?

Greg.

5. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

Wasn't that Linda's bust in the lower left corner? Kinda resembles the statue up at Campbeltown.

6. maxheadroom

maxheadroom Senior Member

Really?

Anyway, I've always wondered what's the story with that note.

7. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

What do you think will be the timescale for these reissues, post August & Band on the Run? It's such a large catalogue, I can't see them deluging the market all in one go.

8. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

Excellent point! I don;t see them doing a collected works box, either.

How often can you reasonable release a (different) title from one artist?
    Will they be offering a "Monthly McCartney" fix?

The Costello re-issues have generally been done in batches of threes, which seems like a reasonable number of CDs to put out at once. Put four or five out at once, I'm not likely to grab them all at the same time.

9. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

Does it fade up? It's not supposed to fade up. Even the DCC versions fades up. 25th Anniv edition fixed that.

10. yellowballoon

yellowballoon Senior Member

I hope he doesn't deluge the market in one go..I'd be broke!

I wouldn't mind 3-4 releases a year myself. No need to rush it. Do the big releases first.
    Band On The Run
    Wings Over America w/ Rock Show DVD
    McCartney
    Ram
    Venus and Mars
    Tug Of War

Chris

11. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Me too!! :laugh:

Maybe they have a 2 year + plan for releases, on a gradual basis.

12. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

No wonder. Picture discs weren't known for their sound, just the idea of having a picture on a disc.

13. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I'm really hoping they don't do a dump with the McCartney remasters like they did in 1993, unless they decide to do a complete box (or boxes).

14. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

This is why I never even opened my '70s-era picture disc LPs. I hated buying those things 'cause it made me a collector, which is something I don't wanna be. I want to listen to the music and enjoy it ... not collect it, necessarily.

15. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

.....so that people will buy those and ignore the lesser albums they release later?

Not likely.

I figure they'd either release in chronological chunks (after Band On The Run which comes first according to the press release), or like Rhino did with Elvis Costello and mix them up releasing in (seemingly random) sets of three.

# 11 August 2001: My Aim Is True, Spike, All This Useless Beauty
    # 19 February 2002: This Year's Model, Blood and Chocolate, Brutal Youth
    # 19 November 2002: Armed Forces, Imperial Bedroom, Mighty Like a Rose
    # 9 September 2003: Get Happy!!, Trust, Punch the Clock
    # 3 August 2004: Almost Blue, Goodbye Cruel World, Kojak Variety

According to the Rhino press releases at the time, these releases were themed (!) - the first being "Elvis Solo", the second "With The Attractions", the third being "The Big Studio Production Albums". The rest I can't remember.

But what the REAL theme seems to be in releasing them this way (to me at least) is to combine 1 critical favorite, 1 popular favorite and 1 that is neither, so that the one that is neither gets its sales boosted by being released with the other two.

McCartney/Concord may take a similar path, since business-wise this makes more sense than front-loading the campaign with the guaranteed sellers, so that each batch holds progressively less interest for the fans, which would damage sales potential.

Do they want people to say after the first couple batches "Cool I got all the ones I want in the first two batches - I'm done"?

Or do they want people to say - for example "ooh Venus and Mars is coming out in the next batch - great!!!, and so is Flaming Pie at the same time - sorta cool I guess, and so is Wild Life - meh. I'd rather it was Venus and Mars, Ram and Tug Of War, but what the hell, I'm here in the store, looking at all three and finding myself curious about the content of those bonus discs. What the hell I'll get all three, even though I normally wouldn't consider buying Wild Life again if my life depended on it."

That is assuming there are bonus discs. If these are straight reissues, I'm sure they'll either do them all at once or maybe spread them out as two or three big chunks, maybe four months apart to get them all out in a year.

16. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

I'm still holding out hope for one or more of the rumored box sets by Christmas...

17. jricc

jricc Senior Member

Yes Really.

The note was intact on the original vinyl and original cd. Somewhere along the line, the note was chopped or faded in a bit late.

18. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I agree that I hope the entire catalog isn't dumped out in one batch.

The current reissue of the Stones' Exile shows how much attention can be generated by reissuing just one classic album. Let's hope the new Band on the Run generates the same level of interest. And if a now-largely forgotten record such as Venus and Mars got its own stand-alone reissue, it would certainly attract more attention in the mainstream media than it would if it were dumped out there with fifteen other McCartney CDs on the same day. I'd stagger the releases - one every six months, or one every year - something like that.

19. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Am I understanding you correctly?

One a year?!?

Seriously?!?!?

McCartney
    Ram
    Wild Life
    Red Rose Speedway
    Band On The Run
    Venus and Mars
    At The Speed of Sound
    London Town
    Back To The Egg
    McCartney 2
    Tug Of War
    Pipes Of Peace
    Give My Regards To Broadstreet
    Press To Play
    The Russian Album
    Flowers In The Dirt
    Off The Ground
    Flaming Pie
    Run Devil Run
    Driving Rain
    Chaos and Creation

.....and.......

Wings Over America
    Tripping The Live Fantastic
    Unplugged
    Paul Is Live
    Back In The US
    Back In The World

.....and.......

Liverpool Oratorio
    Standing Stone
    Working Classical
    A Garland For Linda
    Ecce Cor Meum

.....not to mention.......

Thrillington
    Strawberries Oceans Ships Forest
    Rushes
    Liverpool Sound Collage
    Twin Freaks

You'd really be fine with one album reissue per year?

I guess I might if I could pick the order of the releases, but still........

Just the studio albums alone add up to 21 titles unless I forgot any. So, aside from the fact that label licenses usually last for 10 years, one album a year means one of the studio albums would be out of print for 20 years.

Not gonna happen.

Not to mention that when you factor in the other albums - live, classical. Fireman etc, its more like 40 albums, or in your timeline 40 years.......

!!!WOW!!!

I'd prefer to still be alive to hear the final release of the series.

20. gswan

gswan Forum Resident

You do know we're saying this out loud don't you :D

Still, if we can't say it here, where can we say it :)

Greg.

21. gswan

gswan Forum Resident

One per year!!?? :eek: :bigeek::wtf::D

22. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Sure, that way we can all be dead by the time they finish... :righton:

23. gswan

gswan Forum Resident

I demand to be kept on a respirator up to, but not including Broadstreet, and if by some miracle, i'm still kicking in 2064 when the reissue of Press To Play is released, i'll be pulling the plug myself :D

Greg.

24. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

I think a lot of people are going to base their expectation for the entire catalog on the Band on the Run reissue this summer and so its important for Concord to get that right and show fans that they are committed to delivering the best possible reissue campaign that will satisfy most if not all.

I hope the BOTR reissue sparks new interest for Macca's back catalog and generates some media buzz similar to the Exile reissue (TV interviews, magazines , etc.). After that, they need put out a product for the holiday season like a Early Years Boxset covering material from McCartney (1970) to Venus & Mars (1975) - remastered or remixed discs plus a disc of singles/b-sides, a disc of demos/outtakes and a finally a DVD covering some live material from that time. At about $100, it would make an awesome Christmas gift!

The next release 'Wings Over America plus Rockshow' could then be scheduled for Spring 2011.

25. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Can't see them coming out that way, nor would I want them to. It would be bad business to do it that way as the sales potential would be far too limited.

I'm sure they'll either do straight album reissues with the previously planned outtake box, demo box (and wasn't there talk of a live box as well?) coming later, or maybe they'll take their cue from more modern reissue programs currently being undertaken by bands such as U2, Radiohead, Duran Duran, etc......

Three versions of each title for the consumer to choose from:

Single disc - original album only.

Double disc - original album and bonus disc of singles, outtakes, demos etc...

Triple disc - same content as the double disc above plus a DVD containing concerts/tv appearances/promo videos etc...

I'm not saying it WILL happen like that but I certainly hope it does, since McCartney certainly has more than enough content in his vaults to be able to do this for at least half his albums, plus over the last 2 or 3 years this approach has become increasingly common with reissues of big name acts....

I just hope he doesn't use Bob Dylan's or the Rolling Stones' pricing strategy:

single disc - $10

double disc - $20

triple disc - $100+ :thumbsdn: :realmad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.