Concord Music Group gets Paul McCartney Back Catalogue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fabtrick, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paustin0816

paustin0816 Forum Resident

woot!!! Maybe eventually we'll get a decent sounding MAF out of this. However I'm gonna go postal if the entire catalog ends up sounding like MAF.

2. CellPhoneFred

CellPhoneFred New Member

But that is what today's kids want!

3. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I also mentioned he/they need to get a real fan involved so they/he puts out what we/the fan wants.

I'll buy the darn things anyway, I just hope I get a return for helping make Paul a gazillionaire. :)

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I abandoned those threads a long time ago. I'm buying it no matter what, and I'm tired of all the moaning. Just let me own it and be happy!

Man, you were nice to me about my dog, now you're agreeing with me - who are you, and what have you done to Driver 8??? :eek:

5. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Dude, Driver 8's two favorite things in life are dogs and Paul McCartney. ;)

Which I guess would make "Martha My Dear" my favorite thing ever.

6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Okay, but I'm still freaked out. You gonna have to be extra kooky and oppositional to compensate... :D

7. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

Good luck with THAT wish... :sigh:

8. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

Maybe they can remove the tape hiss from MAF and make it LOUDER.

9. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

Macca-Fabs are due to lead me to bankruptcy

10. Claudio Dirani

C'mon guys...let's get it from the begining. If the remasters will be like the Fabs, I'm happy.

11. Claudio Dirani

I have every single cut and album by the man. I'm interested on the bonus stuff and re-packaging, that I'm sure will be top. Of course, the remastering counts. But hey, I'm excited. Thank you Macca!

12. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I like your attitude, Claudio.

13. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

I like Claudio's attitude too. I really want these to turn out well. I'm just pessimistic because of the twenty years of disappointments in remastering.

Let's hope for the best.

14. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

EXACTLY!

This is great news. Has 9-9-09 not given ANYONE hope?

Too bad there was no Beatles-esque press released with more details.

15. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Well aside from the special collector's edition of BOTR (which along with his 1970 solo debut offers the least number of usable session outtakes/era appropriate live material etc) there's actually nothing in that press release (that I noticed anyway) mentioning we'd be getting bonus tracks/special editions etc of any of the other albums.

No mention of multimedia (ie video releases either standalone or as a bonus dvd with the albums), no mention of bonus tracks, no mention of expanded booklets with extensive liner notes etc etc etc.....

What I got out of that press release is "we'll cobble together *something* for an expanded edition of his top catalog seller, and just rerelease the rest pretty much as is."

Yawn.

I'd consider it a minor miracle if they go so far as adding ALL the relevant non-album single sides (eg - Rainclouds, Ill Give You A Ring, Give Ireland Back II, Coming Up live at Glasgow etc) to the correct era-appropriate discs, unlike the 1993 discs:

Wings' Goodnight Tonight on McCartney II?
    McCartney's Wonderful Christmastime on Wings' Back To The Egg?

:wtf:

I'd like to be optimistic but the content of that press release is VERY underwhelming, telling us almost nothing of their plans (if any) for making these truly worthy of a repurchase.

16. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

All The Best and Wingspan are now up on Emusic Canada.

17. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Of course, but I highly doubt they'll be using the same team of engineers who did the Beatles remasters since they are, after all, EMI employees working in an EMI facility.

Unless EMI does do mastering work for their competitors, which I guess IS possible but probably not likely. Nor is Concord, who I'm sure employs their own engineers on staff, likely to ask.

Not that its impossible that someone else could do as good a job, but it probably comes down to the mastering engineers Concord employs and the type of mastering Concord is interested in releasing.

So its really up in the air, whereas if the same team who did the Beatles remasters were employed I'd feel pretty safe that they wouldn't let us down.

18. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

This is very exciting news! The last reissue campaign was back in 1993 and the timing seems perfect with 40th anniversary of his first solo record and a year after the fabulous Fab reissues. Now one has to only hope for good remastering and added bonuses.

For one, we could see some remixing (stereo/surround) from the master tapes with the latest digital technology as used in the Beatles remasters (I love the 5.1 remixes done by Paul Hicks for the McCartney Years DVD!). There also has to be lot of demo/outtake material in the vaults with Sir Paul not having released most/all of it as yet.

I'm a bit disappointed that they are starting the reissue campaign with BOTR. If it was to me, I would have worked chronologically starting with McCartney, Ram.....giving each album the deluxe treatment that they deserve. It would be really be big shame if they reissued the 1999 double CD again but something tells me that they won't.

C'mon Concord/MPL, please give us more information soon!! A Fab-like press release would be so fab........

19. Claudio Dirani

I see your dillema. But I bet they won't simply repeat what EMI did in 1993. Though Capitol didn't put them out at the time, the discs are all out there. Let's not forget Paul's people have unearthed all the leftovers for the archival project. And now that the complete discography is due to relaunch, I'm begining to feel hope again for the McCartney anthology. If they build, it'll come!

20. Claudio Dirani

Me too.The guys who thought BOTR 25 lame can't be feeling right. Anyway, I'll stick with the theory that they won't simply repackage the EMI issues. So what's the point? I think Paul moved from EMI to aim for more challenging stuff with promotion and marketing. Let the discs come!

21. Claudio Dirani

thanks John!

22. gswan

gswan Forum Resident

My initial reaction was Band on the run sounds like the 30th aniversay edition, i will be @#$%#$ to the max if this new reissue series just uses the 1993 mixes.

Greg.

23. I wonder what is going to happen with the much-rumored McCartney box set that EMI was supposedly putting together?

24. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

Easily the most disappointing deluxe edition of an album I ever bought.

Given that it's likely to sell the most copies, it does serve as a great springboard to relaunch the solo albums. Of all the titles, it's more likely to encourage more casual fans to investigate other albums of his.

Ecchh. I'll pass.

Can't say that a schmaltzy instrumental version of a so-so album would increase the incentive to buy it. I think the majority of buyers would listen/fast-forward through Thrillington it once, shelve it, then wonder why the heck they bought a deluxe edition of it.

In what tour did he play that? Would have loved to have heard that.

I never think of it as an album track. To me, it really kills the continuity & flow of a perfect album.

Indeed. Hey, here's a thought: is it too late for us all to start emailing & calling Concord, let them know that we are the people who'll be buying it the
    day it comes out, and WE do NOT want brickwalling. WE want a clean, proper transfer, and if they screw up the first one, we're NOT buying the rest.

25. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

I just found the following contact information for Concord music on their website:

Phone: (800) 551-5299

Email: [email protected]

Concord Music Group / Infinity Resources, Inc
    900 N. Rohlwing Road
    Itasca, IL 60143

Start calling / writing & messaging. Do it TODAY & let them know what we want.
    We're the freaks who'll be buying this, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.