DCC Archive Condition of Beatles US masters

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andrew, Nov 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored Thread Starter

This is a variation of the previous thread about the storage of the masters at Abbey Road. I was wondering how well preserved the Capitol (sub-master) tapes are these days, since Hollywood & Vine got some unique mixes/edits/versions over the years from EMI. For example, are the LP masters for "Yesterday ...and Today!" or the 45 master of "I Want To Hold Your Hand" in safe hands? Anybody have some inside info? :confused:

[ November 25, 2001: Message edited by: Andrew ]

2. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Don't know the whereabouts of the Capitol masters (Capitol tower, maybe)? But the story is that they were used to produce the "Capitol Versions" CDs on the Beat label back in 1993... the Beatles 65/VI twofer in particular sounds nice.

3. feinstein

feinstein Member

The "Capitol Versions" CD's sure sound like they were "mastered" from the 7.5 IPS Ampex reel-to-reel versions of the Capitol albums. I don't think that they were from stolen masters from Capitol....

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Thay came from various sources, but not all from the reel-to-reels, as the majority (all if memory serves) of Beatles reels weren't mastered at that speed to commercial reel-to-reel. Most of them sounded horrible.

Most of the "Beat" series sound great, and are true to the US lineup and sound, as we Yanks got to know the Beatles. Rumours fly that the "Beat" series was duped during when Capitol archived what they had to DAT in the early 90's, inlcluding "The Beatles Story". The question is, did Capitol get to keep the production dub of "AHDN Soundtrack", specifically the one UA had for the soundtrack to the movie. Betcha they did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.