Cones, stones, bones, and other "audiophile tweaks"

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by GT40sc, Mar 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 7_V

7_V New Member

That's why I thought you'd be using the large nuts (and plenty of them) to house the superballs and prevent the dreaded 'patio stone slide'.

Incidentally, as you're spiking onto the slabs why not throw a bit of carpet over them and spike through that? It could minimize any ringing.

As a friend of mine always said: "If you're going to be a bear, be a grizzly."

I visited Nottingham Analogue (the turntable people) the other day and they showed me these rubber rings that they put around the platters. Compared to the massive platters you wouldn't have thought the rings could do anything, but a 'ping' test with and without the rings showed a huge difference.

2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

A great idea - I had no idea that spikes could / would ring!

Speaking of grizzlys....

A former boss was stationed north of the arctic circle for a few years. Absolutely nothing happening up there so for amusement, the locals would go to the dump and watch the black bears scrounge around, get in a fight or two... great fun. :rolleyes:

Once, much to his suprise, all the bears got up at once and started leaving the dump, going to the east. He looked to the west and he saw a grizzly walking into the dump from the west.

A grizzly does not care - a black bear is just food! :eek:

G

3. 7_V

7_V New Member

It's the slabs that might ring. Aw shucks, you knew that. You're just ribbing us aren't you?

Don't forget to let us know the outcome of this mega-tweak, won't you.

4. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Yeppers! :D

(Hope it's not - tilt, crash!) :eek:

5. audio

audio New Member

Those beaks look so damn cool, it doesn't matter to me if they work or not!

6. WVK

WVK Forum Resident

"The 'Beak' is precision milled in a strictly prescribed form. The shape controls resonance and emanation. These distortions occur within a strict range. The beak can actually channel common distortion and move it through its cavity to the discharge point on top. Hence its shape and name. Like the beak on a bird or whale channels sound; This Beak channels the negative effects created by box shaped speaker housing. A Speaker is round and the housing is box shaped; the beak helps resolve this contradiction."

http://www.gcaudio.com/products/reviews/infototem.html

Say what?

WVK

7. Dflip

Dflip New Member

I have two pairs of beaks on a pair of Klipsch Cornwalls. I use them for tuning purposes. The closer they are to the outside edge of the speaker, the more bass I get. Move them towards the middle and the bass seems to lessen. Soundstage (mids/highs) are determined by how far forward the placed on the speakers. Towards the front and there is more top end. Place them further back and the mids and highs are lessened. I am dealing with tops of my speakers being 15" by 25" so I have some room to play with. I initially heard them on a pair of Totem Signature 1's that were biwired. The beaks made a difference in the 15 minutes I listened to them with and without the beaks. (tube amp and preamp and Rega Planet Cd transport). They aren't cheap, but when my preamp does not have tone controls, they do come in handy with both poorly and superbly recorded cd's.

The Cornwalls have been with me since 1981.

All based on what I have heard, for what that is worth.

8. tomd

tomd Senior Member

I have a Neuance shelf on top of my rack for my cd player.It is the best isolation device I have tried.It goes for about $200.00 including shipping (custom made)but is two thirds the cost of Symposium Shelf.People on the Audiogon forum says it beats more expensive solutions like Aurios and less expensive Ceraballs.I have a set of the Ceraballs and it does sound better to those.The Cerballs I use on my lower shelf under my Marantz DV8300 universal Player.They are awsome for the price:$100.00.The Best isolation device is my rack- a Mana 6 tier.It does more for sound then ANY rack out there but the best thing is as you add more Soundstages under it (base platforms) the sound gets dramatically better with each level.It is not cheap and hard to find used but worh every penny I paid for it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.