Considered A Classic Album ( But You Don't Call It That )

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wildest cat from montana, Mar 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Post-Punk Monk

Post-Punk Monk Seeking divinity in records from '78-'85 or so…

Totally no love for "Tommy." Coming after the brilliant wit of "Who Sell Out" it's a gut punch to me. And it set bad conceptual precedents in rock that persist to this day. It's pompous without being illuminating.

2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Pretzel Logic is my favourite

3. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Probably (and by probably, I mean definitely!) stretching the definition of classic here but the one REO Speedwagon to get any kind of critical approval in the UK, is Nine Lives.

Now Nine Lives contains a lot of first rate songs, including the fan favourite Back O The Road Again, and the band are in scorching form instrumentally but it also opens with my two least favourite Kevin Cronin songs and closes side one with a efficient but pointless Chuck Berry cover.

So, essentially two thirds of the album is brilliant whereas, for me at least, pretty much every other REO album has a much higher strike rate.

4. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

For me, the run of Countdown - Pretzel Logic - Katy Lied is their peak. After that, they got a little too slick and sterile for my tastes, though I can still recognize Aja as a classic of its kind. I just feel more of an emotional connection with the earlier material.

5. rikki nadir

rikki nadir Gentleman Thug

'The emperor's new clothes' - meaning and origin.

I mean the album is overpraised and fairly negligible - certainly not a classic. People who say it is a tremendous achievement in music are just wrong.

AveryKG likes this.
  6. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Within You Without You > Getting Better and Fixing A Hole.

oboogie likes this.
  7. mark winstanley

That would be me too.... I love Aja, wonderful album, but I think the emotional connect is the difference. I have a soft spot for Gaucho.

Folknik and Zoot Marimba like this.
  8. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

That's it for me. I kind of feel that way about Zappa. Though his musicians got technically better over time, for me, his later (rock) material doesn't speak to me like his earlier work, where he had "lesser" players, at least by his standards.

9. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

DJ Shadow Introducing and Pavement Slanted and enchanted

10. mark winstanley

Zappa's a funny one. I like all the eras, but The Seventies is where I really connect with him and the band.

11. rikki nadir

rikki nadir Gentleman Thug

You need to be taking great care when looking into the abyss. It will hijack your webcam and look back into you.

Most unpleasant.

12. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Er.....that would be any album regarded as a classic by bands that I don't like. Plenty of those. Much more difficult to find from artists I do like. Bowie - Heroes (apart from the title track) might fit the bill.

Rickchick likes this.
  13. Zack

Zack Senior Member

:yikes:

I'm afraid this is yet another SHTV "great albums you don't like" thread. I saw it coming.

The Quiet One and HfxBob like this.
  14. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

This made me sad :(

That's a classic, man.

15. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I don't connect with him. He's like "I'm smarter than you". And his humour was puerile

16. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Because it's great funk and jazz and the lyrics are brilliant as always.

enfield, jas621 and SRC like this.
  17. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

I love Aja and its older sibling The Royal Scam. I see Aja almost like a direct sequel.

And I also refuse to listen to any Dylan unless it's sung by somebody else, like Guns N' Roses or Hendrix:hide:

To throw my two cents in, I'd say Judas Priest's Painkiller is often highly regarded but I always thought their albums from the late '70s and early '80s were better.

Also any Iron Maiden album from the reunion era. I didn't like any of them really, though I thought there were some good songs (but also filler) on Brave New World.

18. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Been done a bunch of times now, hasn't it?

19. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

I accept most Beatles albums even though there isn't one that I personally love in a "top 20 favourite albums" type way.

However, Rubber Soul, I do not get. It's like a middle album full of middle of the road type songs. It's going nowhere, man!

20. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

And these are the kinds of garbage comments these threads consistently produce.

21. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I think it is a relatively casual term, and should be. If it’s an album that is well-known and well-regarded among people who like music, it’s a classic.

This does not require that I like the album. I can recognize there are plenty of classic albums that are not interesting to me. That’s fine, they’re still classics.

rodentdog, oboogie, DavidD and 3 others like this.
  22. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

I love Steely Dan. My personal favorites are Pretzel Logic and The Royal Scam, but I actually listened to Aja yesterday. I guess you'll just have to take my word for it that I'm a woman, but I promise you that I am. :)

I don't have any answers for the thread starter. I don't have to personally love an album to be able to recognize that it is a classic. The history of music is not shaped by my own limited perceptions of it.

23. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

All the old albums I like I call classics. What else?

24. mark winstanley

LOL

My wife likes Steely Dan too ... not sure where that myth came from

25. CrawdaddySim1

CrawdaddySim1 Forum Resident

Katy Lied is my favorite collection of their songs, although various people on SHF complain about the sound... I never noticed it before.

Hokeyboy and Zoot Marimba like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.