Considered A Classic Album ( But You Don't Call It That )

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wildest cat from montana, Mar 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ted Dinard

Ted Dinard Forum Resident

As I have matured, I have come to grasp a simple but elusive truth.

Nobody needs to hear what famous albums I don't like.

2. CrawdaddySim1

CrawdaddySim1 Forum Resident

Is it fair to judge a solo artist by the standards of his previous band? Probably not. But I can't help but do that. Compare the VU song "Pale Blue Eyes" to "Perfect Day." The lyrics of the first are evocative--it gives you glimpses of a story there. Sterling's guitar is gorgeous. For me, the lyrics of "Perfect Day" are inane, almost lazy. Same with "Vicious"--"You hit me with a flower/you do it every hour." Really, Lou? (Do you wonder why I think his entire solo career is one big practical joke?) "Heroin" is a harrowing psychological journey into the mind of an addict. WOTWS is a novelty song for degenerates. "New York Telephone Conversation" is a much poorer cousin of "The Murder Mystery."

I could go on with this all day. VU's music is painfully human, and as real as a heart attack. Solo Lou is the comic book version. That's just my perspective, but I have yet to hear a convincing defense of the "classic" status of Transformer. I'm still willing to be sold!

3. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

You don’t hear a story in “Perfect Day”? OK...

A novelty song for degenerates?

I find it hard to believe you are at all open to be convinced this is a classic album if that’s how you’re going to react to two of its best songs, but that’s your right. It seems you are defining “classic” as requiring the album clear some artistic bar that you have set for it, rather than just a historic album that is known and loved by many. So, again, I think this comes down to how that term is defined.

4. CrawdaddySim1

Sure, I'll own up to that. But one could also argue that Lou set the bar himself, and squandered his considerable talent after VU broke up. It's not that I ever thought Reed was a talentless hack... quite the opposite... but that I can't reconcile the monumental artistry he achieved in that band with the relative dreck that followed.

The title of the thread, btw... "but you don't call it that." I assume that means me, correct? Not the "many" to which you refer? It's a request for many individuals' opinions... not public opinion.

Per RalphB's earlier post, I'm frequently trying to listen "with new ears" to acknowledged classics, and sometimes I change my mind. So I do plan to track down that book he mentioned.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
  5. CrawdaddySim1

Actually, you were one of the people I was thinking of when I mentioned the exceptions.:D But I do recall a written interview with Donald Fagan where the questioner brought up a lack of female Steely Dan fans, and Fagan admitted they were never big with the "babes." (his word). Something to that effect--I'll try to locate the interview...

Mojo magazine, maybe? Difficult to find online...

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
  6. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I tried Steely Dan listening some albums and all I get was yawns

mark winstanley likes this.
  7. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

It's not for everyone.

Man at C&A likes this.
  8. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

TVC15 is a great funky song.

9. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

My Bloody valentine Loveless. I kinda like it but I don't love it. Aside of the production values and the layers of guitar noise, the tunes themselves are dull

10. CrawdaddySim1

Chas 'N" Dave? I was thinking Professor Longhair.

11. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

I don’t actually think it’s a bad song but, musically, it sticks out like a sore thumb on the album. Lyrically, it fits, but that piano and those transition/transmission bits are just too jaunty. I first heard it on a compilation and I enjoyed it then, but in the context of an album, it kills the cohesion, particularly when it’s one of only five self penned tracks.

Man at C&A likes this.
  12. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It might help that I love Chas & Dave!

Etienne Hanratty likes this.
  13. CrawdaddySim1

I would agree that STS isn't particularly cohesive, but that's what I like about it. It's my favorite Bowie album because it, in a way, (if you stretch your imagination,) combines every one of his 70's phases in one album. First half of the title track suggests his forthcoming Berlin period... second half is glam. "Golden Years" is the soul period, of course, as is "Stay." "Word On a Wing" and "Wild Is the Wind" are ballads, sprinkled throughout his career. And yes, "TVC15" is the wild card... but I don't think cohesion is STS's goal, anyway. It's a tour of Bowie's 1970's, reflected in the title itself.

14. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I have problems with albums being considered classics when I can remember their coming out and not being considered anything special at the time, even when I like those albums a great deal. For example, Peter Gabriel 4 means a great deal to me but I'd raise an eyebrow if people called it a classic.

I'm easy-going about albums being considered classics if they were already time-hallowed when I encountered them, even when I don't care about those albums at all. Exodus, Innervisions, What's Going On, London Calling are all clearly classics whether I've heard them or not. And I'd be prepared to accept as classics albums from genres that really passed me by if I'm confident that they affected the Zeitgeist ... It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back, for example, or Second Toughest In The Infants.

I don't really feel that my personal taste should have a lot of bearing on the question,

15. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Led Zeppelin had so few studio albums that I imagine all of them have attained someone’s classic list.

I quite like all of their albums, however I am not sure Physical Graffiti is all the way a classic album. It has some Classic Songs; it’s also replete with filler/outtake-y type of material that frankly sound a bit uninspired.

PG was a BIG deal when it came out. It attained classic status almost immediately. I’m not sure the material merits classic.

16. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Not a huge fan of Young Americans

17. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

I'd like to.

18. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Is this considered a classic? It's probably one of his less well regarded albums from the 70s, though some people love it.

Echo likes this.
  19. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

It seems there's a very fine line between classic and less well regarded albums.

20. Rickchick

Rickchick Forum Resident

Thank you.

21. Hokeyboy

Hokeyboy Nudnik of Dinobots

I still don't notice. I think the album is exceptional

CrawdaddySim1 likes this.
  22. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

You are welcome

Rickchick likes this.
  23. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Don't know who they are

24. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

2 that immediately come to mind & I am in the most minute minority, but I don't care...

1.Beatles / Sgt. Pepper (1967) & Abbey Road (1969)...when 1st released I heard these records as contrived, bloated & egotistical, in 2020 I hold the same opinions...

Pepper was a Day-Glo tombstone of its day & AR was a pieced together smorgasbord to once again fill Lennon & especially McCartneys egos

25. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

I dare him to come to Texas & talk smack about Buddy, double dog dare indeed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.