Considering a Herbie's Way Excellent Mat to replace the stock felt on my VPI...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by McGuy, Mar 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time... Thread Starter

anyone with a VPI Scout or Prime Scout have one of these? I can't tell which to get exactly and also worried I'd have to make changes to azimuth or VTA - neither of which I actually understand to be honest... TIA

2. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

I don't have one for my VPI but I did have one for a different table I owned. Reach out to Herbie directly he will get you setup with the right mat. You will likely have to make adjustments for any mat you use. He makes great mats by the way.

wgriel, Tinian and McGuy like this.
  3. Tinian

Tinian Forum Resident

Amazing mats, highly recommended !
    The 2mm has an amazing fit especially if you are using VPI’s periphery ring!

4. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I use no mat on my Classic. Never will.

conjotter and mkane like this.
  5. Paopawdecarabao

Paopawdecarabao Forum Resident

I’m using one with my Prime. Excellent way 2mm with a Periphery ring.

6. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

After playing around with too many mats on my VPI I prefer a 1.5mm cork mat without a label relief.

Dischord likes this.
  7. wolfyboy3

wolfyboy3 99 Red Balloons Go By...

So I have a Way Excellent II with the donut hole which I don't want the donut hole anymore. Thinking about buying another without it. Seems frivolous I know but I am deep in the rabbit hole. So they are out of the 3mm with the proper hole in 11.5 inches for my Prime Scout. They do have the 2.4mm available. Should I buy that? Not sure how thick the mat I have now is. I sent an email to Herbie's but it is too soon to hear back from them yet. FWIW I like the Herbies mat. It sounds good on my table.
    To the OP- did you ever get this?

8. Popper

Popper Well-Known Member

I know this thread has been quiet for a year now but I did want to offer up my personal experience of adding a way excellent mat to my Rega Planar 3 glass platter. I was running a cork mat and really thought things were sounding good but I had recently discovered some big improvements in sound quality brought about by the addition of a cheap diy TT isolation board and so I wanted to explore a new mat to see if I could further up the performance.

Unfortunately the Herbies mat did not work for me. From a sound standpoint, I think things got a little more muddled...but the biggest problem was static... I’m up in Canada and it’s winter to static usually does get worse in winter, but I have not had an issue with the cork mat.... but the herbies was charged like I have never before... so unfortunately no magic was found and I’m back to the cork!

F1nut likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.