Considering a Sota Saphire...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by okc_craft, Sep 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. okc_craft

okc_craft It All Matters Thread Starter

Yes, I’ve read a few things on Audi Karma, but thanks for looking out.

2. okc_craft

I’ve done a little reading up, and it really seems like a nice combo.

3. okc_craft

It seems like such an obvious arm design.

4. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

I had a SOTA Sapphire and Eminent Technology tonearm for 15 years. I LOVED IT.

TarnishedEars likes this.
  5. okc_craft

Thanks for you thoughts, did you ever have any problems with the arm?

6. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

As long as the arm hasn't been abused, there should be no problems. Damage is always possible on used gear though.

The big thing is when transporting it, ALWAYS remove the wand and the counterweight, and then tie the arm down to the inside-edge with a twisty tie. Not doing this can damage the slight ridges which keep the arm floating on air.

But the same principles of safe transport apply to every other arm to not ruin their bearings. So this is not going to extraordinary measures or anything.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  7. okc_craft

Well, it followed me home. It is an early Sapphire with the first gen Eminent Technology arm. I took the cart off and plan to sale it to help finance the purchase of the table, and I think a lower compliance cartridge like my OC9xml may be a better match (not to mention I have no business owning such a nice cart with 3 young kids). Thanks everyone for the input.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

I do love the look of those vintage Sota 'tables. It looks like it came with a Herbie's mat too. Congratulations on your purchase.

9. okc_craft

Thanks, it definitely has its own look with the finger joint wood plinth. I actually moved the Herbies mat from my old table.

aorecords likes this.
  10. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

I follow Sota on FB and they be post pictures of a lot of their woodworking and machining. It's pretty interesting.
    I actually talked to Christian, who I believe is the chief engineer for quite a while at AXPONA one year. He's a little bit of a mad scientist I think. He went on at length about resonant frequencies and making sure all the parts of the turntable match. He even goes as far as machining the screws so he can create the correct resonant frequencies. Much of what he was saying was over my head but it was still fascinating.

okc_craft likes this.
  11. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Sweet. Looks just like mine but with a way nicer arm. Congrats!

12. okc_craft

Everything I have read over the last couple of days give me a warm fuzzy about SOTA as a company and their commitment to the customer and the product.

Phil Thien likes this.
  13. okc_craft

Thanks, the arm is pretty nice for sure. I think I have it set up right, but it is definitely a different beast. I will probably revisit the setup again after a little more research, the manual for it is pretty intense.

14. Try1256

Try1256 Forum Resident

I have a Series 3 Star, it has the vacuum hold down. SME M2-9 arm and Soundsmith Aida cart. I will own until I die. I love this table. I had a Thorens TD-160 that I had restored/modded. Nice but required constant tweeking. The Sota just plays beautiful music. No muss, no fuss. Enjoy your new table!!

Guitarded likes this.
  15. okc_craft

Yes, I was listening last night to a couple of my go to albums, and I was struck by the incredible detail I hadn’t heard before. My wife, who usually reluctantly agrees that the system sounds good, stopped and commented on the sound being absolutely clear as she proceeded to sit in my sweet spot. The space between the musicians and the black background are something I haven’t experienced before at this level.

16. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

AS is critical when setting up the ET-2. Get yourself a mirrored protractor It just a rectangular mirror with spindle hole and a line scribed @ 90°. With this you can set offset and get AS perfect. I have on you can have for the cost of shipping.

17. okc_craft

This would be used to make sure the stylus is tracking straight and square to the spindle, and I assume being off of this would cause the stylus to skate in one direction or the other depending on whether you are in front or behind the spindle?

18. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

Theres an adjustment on the base that set's as. Near the portion closest to you. It take an Allen wrench. It sets the angle of the tower. You don't want it tracking towards the spindle to fast. It need to be very slow, almost stationary.

19. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

It's called post leveling screw, there's 2

20. okc_craft

Would that adjustment exists in an ET1 arm?

21. DJSpinner

DJSpinner Forum Resident

@okc_craft How are you enjoying this this combo after a few months? Was the air pump that came with the ET2 the original or upgraded? I'm looking at a local Star Sapphire that seems priced right if it doesn't need any upgrades.

22. okc_craft

I’m not sure if the pump that came with the arm is original or not, but it is working well for me. One thing to consider is where you’ll place your pump since it does make a little noise, not much, but enough to bother me. I was able to put mine in a room above my listening space and run the tube down the wall, I control the pump with a WiFi enabled plug. As for the table and arm I couldn’t be happier, as soon as I dropped the needle for the first time I new what all the fuss was about, absolute clarity. Doesn’t the Star Sapphire have a vacuum platter as well?

grbluen and mkane like this.
  23. DJSpinner

DJSpinner Forum Resident

Yes, Star has the vacuum platter as well. This model has the TT power supply and platter vacuum in one single box. Was told over TT and tonearm are all original parts, no upgrades, but are in fine working condition. I'm going to go check it out tomorrow in person.

I've been looking at various used TT options (Linn, VPI, Gyrodec, Clearaudio) and aesthetically I'm just really drawn to the SOTA.

24. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

Get it and make sure the platters locked down before transport

25. okc_craft

Yeah, they have a great look, but more important you’ll have amazing sonics with that combo. You can also still use SOTA as a resource for any future repairs or upgrades, which is great. Let us know how it turns out, and do read up on transportation of the Sapphire.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.