Considering Bookshelf upgrade (paired with subwoofer)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Katz, Jul 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katz

Katz Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hello All,

I'm considering upgrading my bookshelfs, but I'd like the input of people who use a 2.1 system to see if it's worth it.

Right now I'm using Yamah NS-B750 bookshelves. Their +/- 3db low point is 60hz, and they are paired with a Yamaha NS-SW700 sub (20hz +\- 3db). They are ran by a Yamaha RN-803d stereo receiver, which has YPAO sound adjustment/auto correction/eq by using a mic. The system automatically sets the low cut on the Bookshelves at 80hz, and the high cut at the SW700 obviously at 80hz. The integration is flawless. I experimented with moving the low cut point higher and lower, but 80hz is spot on in terms of low end reproduction and non-localization.

I'm VERY happy with the system sound. My father just got Triangle Quartet Genese towers (38-22khz +\- 3db) ran through the same amp as mine and tbh, mine sound clearer when it comes to voices, they seem to have more "air", and obviously the sub trumps the towers when it comes to low end, particularly sub-bass.

I am however considering whether it's worth it upgrading my bookshelves considering I've got some money to do so.

As i've tested a whole bunch of +\- 1000 euro priced bookshelves before getting the B750, I'm quite keen on the yamaha sound. So I was looking at the B951 bookshelves. - I DO NOT HAVE THE POSSIBILITY TO LISTEN TO THEM -

The MAIN difference according to specs and description is that the driver is 16cm vs 13cm in the B951, and as such they go all the way down 45hz (vs 60hz in the B750s). The cabinet is about 10% larger, and the tweeter is identical, but according to the design and description, it's isolated on its own aluminium plate, which helps with unwanted distortions, etc. The frequency crossover is the same (4khz).

Now, basically, considering I'm running a pair of bookshelves that are low cut at 80hz, at which point the sub kicks in, is there any point upgrading to a tier-up bookshelves from the same company, same sound signature and driver material, except of the mid-low speaker which is now 20% larger (16cm vs 13cm) and as a result goes 15hz lower (to 45hz vs 60hz)?

I know most probably the low cut point on the B951 will be set MAYBE a bit lower, say 60hz, yet is the slightly larger driver going to give me any advantage in terms of sound reproduction? Or is it going to be basically the same thing, on account of the sub integration?

2. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Yes, it will provide better sound. In addition to going lower, allowing a lower crossover point (which is always better if all else is equal), it will play more dynamically. The distortion will likely be lower at lower mid frequencies, and the sound should be fuller, weightier.
    -Bill

Big Blue likes this.
  3. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

On the other hand, the crossover to the tweeter will likely be more problematic since the woofer is heavier and may be working into its cone breakup zone, and larger cones are more directional so may not blend as well with the tweeter dispersion pattern, and bigger cabinets may have more panel resonances, so really hard to say. I'd probably favor the smaller woofer, all else being equal... but it never is. Depends a lot on the tweeter and how low it can be crossed over to the mid/woofer.

Katz likes this.
  4. Katz

Katz Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Well the tweeter starts from 4Khz. This can't be changed. The only thing that can be changed is the crossover from the speakers's main driver and the sub. As far as resonance, etc, the B951 seems to have quite a few technologies in it to reduce it as much as possible:

Built for Powerful, Accurate Sound Reproduction with an Innovative Cabinet design
    [​IMG]
    The design of the cabinet is of course extremely important if the aim is to create a speaker with superior reproduction capabilities. The goal was to reduce standing waves to ensure highest accuracy, as well as to provide a full, three-dimensional sound with an awesome feeling of depth. The solution was to design a cabinet with non-parallel surfaces, having the woofer and midrange sections divided by a slanted partition, and strengthening the entire enclosure with vertical ladder bracing. Another important point is the three-way mitered construction of the cabinet joints, achieved thanks to Yamaha’s excellence in woodworking. This technique ensures extremely tight joints so the entire cabinet behaves as a single unit, providing tight, powerful and accurate bass reproduction.

and:

Aluminum Tweeter Plate
    [​IMG]
    A diecast aluminum tweeter plate isolates the tweeter from cabinet vibration and provides a solid attachment for the tweeter unit. This prevents incidental movement, helping to ensure that the high range sound is clear and transparent, with no coloration.

5. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

IME, almost, perhaps every pair of speakers that I have heard from the same line of product within any company's range, the 6.5" driver version sounds better than the 5.25" version for the reasons that I outlined. I doubt this product is any different in that regard. From a much more practical standpoint, it would be very hard for a speaker mfr to sell a larger, more expensive product today if a smaller and more affordable one performed better.
    -Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.