Considering replacing Wharfedale Lintons

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by iNeedItGreasy, Jan 7, 2022.

Tags:
  1. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

PS: I forgot to say that I admit that the attack or transients (and not just for the drums) are perhaps their weakest point. I wonder if that's tweeter related ...

2. brubacca

brubacca Forum Resident

My lord I hope this "fixes" the sound for you. A literal loose screw instead of a figurative one for a change. This will go down as the thread of the century if that is the case.

jonwoody, bever70 and layman like this.
  3. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

There may be many myths in hifi land but loose screws isn't one of them!

4. KeithP56

KeithP56 Active Member

Yep, love my Tannoy Eaton Legacy's that I got new B stock for nearly half price. Similar size and vintage look of the Wharfedale Lintons, the Eaton's are the nicest speakers I've owned in 45 years of hifi ownership. I would steer clear of Sonus Faber and other designer/lifestyle speakers, youre paying a big chunk of the price for looks. Holographic doesn't come cheap, you may well be spending more and more chasing a truly holographic soundstage.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
  5. hoytis

hoytis PDX Cratedigger

Lucky dog! I think that's what I need to go after. Perfect size for my room. Someday.

6. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

All that talk about replacing the Lintons makes me want to put them back on my stand for the weekend!

7. WapatoWolf

WapatoWolf Forum Resident

Sounds like the OP is chasing the dragon for that perfect sound. We’ve all been there. My take is to pause, really listen to the Lintons. Why on earth are you plugging ports? They are there for a reason. Move them out a bit! Mine are abt 3 feet out.

macster, jonwoody and Joshua Tree like this.
  8. Hoffy

Hoffy Forum Resident

The woofers are a bit underdamped so plugging ports can tighten that up a bit… I mentioned in a previous post that I plug one and leave the other open to create a blend, which to my ears is just right… easy thing to play with to see what happens

9. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

You would be remiss if you didn't check out Revel. That holographic soundstage you crave is there in spades.

jek57 likes this.
  10. Just Outlaw

Just Outlaw Well-Known Member

Revel could bring too much of a treble presence in comparison to Lintons.

jonwoody likes this.
  11. iNeedItGreasy

iNeedItGreasy Active Member Thread Starter

Explained why in previous posts.

jonwoody and WapatoWolf like this.
  12. iNeedItGreasy

Alright guys. Pulled the trigger on an open box BlueSound Node 2i for about $200 off MSRP. Looking forward to receiving it and will report back with my findings.

I will be connecting it to my router via ethernet and am currently shopping for a high quality coax cable to pair with it. Is the Cardas Parsec worth the extra investment over a budget cable from a company like Monoprice?

jonwoody likes this.
  13. jek57

jek57 Forum Resident

Compared to the Wharfadales I had the Revels treble is brighter but they bring out the details without being tinny sounding I wasn't a big fan of aluminum tweeters but revel did a great job designing these

unclefred likes this.
  14. brubacca

brubacca Forum Resident

Big can of worms on cable question. Personally I hear a difference on my systems. Cardas is a solid company,. I'd think there would be a difference.

jonwoody, Art K and iNeedItGreasy like this.
  15. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

Nice. I have the newest BlueSound model and I like it.

I use a 1m length of this cable Voodoo Cable Reference Digital Cable and I've been pleased with the results. Injected a much needed boost in brightness and transparency into the system to counteract the inherently darker character of the Linton's.

Had one of these before... Wireworld Starlight 8 Digital Cable and in the context of my system it played to the worst characteristics of the Linton's producing a slower, fuller, and overall congested, somewhat veiled sound.

In other words - I'd say yes. A well chosen cable is worth it. It's all about system matching... in this case I've gone with a cable that might - in the context of another system - produce a sound that could be pretty bright, maybe even sound a little lean... but here it's the synergy that's beneficial.

16. iNeedItGreasy

Finally received the Node 2i and got it connected up. I ended up going with a Kimber DV30 coax cable for the interconnect.

I have to say, I am overjoyed! You guys were definitely right about the increased clarity over my old setup. Some might say it's placebo, but whatever it is, I'm thoroughly pleased.

Hell, it is worth the price of admission for the gapless playback alone. The gaps between songs have always been a big streaming pet peeve of mine.

Subwoofers should be arriving tomorrow and I can't wait to get them integrated. :D

bever70, Rick58, WapatoWolf and 2 others like this.
  17. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

Nice. The BlueSound is a great device. Does it impact/improve your enjoyment of your speakers though?

iNeedItGreasy likes this.
  18. iNeedItGreasy

So far, it definitely does. It looks like the Wharfedales will be staying for a while.

Toneh, WapatoWolf and jonwoody like this.
  19. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Fantastic outcome and congrats on your Node indeed a great little device.

Toneh likes this.
  20. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

Very pleased to hear this, I really think they're something special and there may be other opportunities to tweak a little to get more of what you want out of them. I've just added some new gear myself and wrote about it here A long and winding review of the Topping D90SE DAC not suggesting you rush out and buy the gear mentioned and I'll freely admit I could've self-edited a little... its a long post :laugh:

... It's more about thoughts regarding an approach to system building based on the deep affection I have for the magic these Wharfedales do and how I've gone about extracting more detail and clarity from them.

jek57 and iNeedItGreasy like this.
  21. Tawaun A Williams

Tawaun A Williams Forum Resident

Probably the new Mission 770
    Dyanaudio Evoke 30, 50 or Contour 30i
    Graham Ls6f LS5/9
    Spendor A7 or Classic series
    Harbeth 30.2

22. Music4doc

Music4doc Well-Known Member

I was wondering if anyone else with Lintons has played around with rake angle with their speakers. I have really enjoyed mine, but felt the soundstage lacked some height. I realize room dimensions and ceiling makes a difference, but I have found that placing the foot pads that came with the Lintons under the front two legs only has really opened up the sound and soundstage.

23. mrkrinkle

mrkrinkle so long and thanks for all the fish

I unplug mine here and there when rotating speakers, but I'm always really happy to plug them back in, and glad to have them. I think they're super, especially at that price. Can you listen to something else for a while and then come back to the Lintons? If you're meh on them, then maybe it's time to sell, but if you're like me you might be really happy that you kept them.

24. mrkrinkle

mrkrinkle so long and thanks for all the fish

So, I'm actually considering selling mine, too, now. Does anyone have any idea what a used pair in mint condition is going for these days? I'm not finding much information online.

25. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

does Primus not sound good through them to you?