Considering replacing Wharfedale Lintons

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by iNeedItGreasy, Jan 7, 2022.

Tags:
  1. mrkrinkle

mrkrinkle so long and thanks for all the fish

Ha. Nice.

I like them a lot. But they're gathering dust.

Swordsandchains likes this.
  2. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

not too often you come across some pork soda lovers. I still havent played any Primus through these speakers in 2 months i have them, better get on it. But ive loved my Lintons so far

mrkrinkle likes this.
  3. mrkrinkle

They're awesome. And a really, really good match for Primus vinyl.

Swordsandchains likes this.
  4. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Well, just one humble heads up from me. I just purchased the Lintons to replace my beloved Yamaha NS1000M (with filters upgraded by Danish loudspeaker legend Troels Gravesen). This was done as a move to down grade to something easier to live with, a less revealing speaker. I got that, but I also got a unique speaker with a completely captivating musicality. I've been into hi-fi for about 35 years and while I've never had the funds to own absolute high end gear I've listened to a LOT through the years. So what am I on about here? I'm trying to tell you your Lintons are crazy good! I've rarely, if ever, listened to a speaker capable of dragging me into to the performance the way the Lintons do. Also I'm sure the Lintons are way capable of growing with the task in regards to the rest of the system.

5. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

Couldn't agree any more if I tried!! I've owned a ton of speakers over the years (I'm just recently getting back into audio after suffering audiophile burnout some years ago) and I can honestly say these may well be the first pair of speakers I've ever loved.
    They have connected me to music in a way I can't really say many speakers have... as if all that audiophile bollocks and "analysis" becomes instantly irrelevant and only the music matters.

6. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

I was listening to Born Under A Bad Sign from the "Blues" album by Hendrix, and yes, I've heard it with better separation, better dynamics, more detail and so fort, but still, I was there!! I was right there in the studio. It gave me the chills.

Toneh likes this.
  7. mirrorball82

mirrorball82 Forum Resident

This is really interesting to read, as I am also pondering about getting the Lintons. I actually did the same move: I had the (fantastic!!!) NS1000M and moved back to the Yamaha NS 690 II for the same reasons. The NS 690 II also is very transparent, but somehow more pleasing. Now I do wonder how the Lintons would compare :-D

Nielsoe likes this.
  8. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

You would have to spend at least 2-3 times more to get any tangible improvement over the Linton's..I would keep them.Great speakers for the price.

Roland Bart, Toneh and Nielsoe like this.
  9. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

It's a bold statement, but if music is your thing the Lintons will not dissapoint anyone! As already stated they will simply drag you into the performance. At the same time they tick a lot of the hifi boxes. They are e.g much more detailed in the mid range than I would have thought based on various reviews.

10. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

I have similar experiences with these Lintons... I've had speakers so transparent and detailed you could practically hear the faders operating on the mixing desk ;)... and yet the music didn't come through as strong. All this "superfluous information" didn't enhance the music... it distracted from it and instead of an emotional connection the experience became cerebral... aloof... detached. It's hard to imagine how I would easily go back to that sort of sound even though I sometimes do wish for just 5% more transparency.

DancingSea, mrkrinkle and Nielsoe like this.
  11. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

It's fun reading about y'alls experience with the Lintons. Glad to see you are enjoying them so much. Many of the descriptors in terms of enjoyment and focus on the music match my experience with the KLH 5's. In fact the gentleman I purchased the 5's from had replaced them with the Lintons and was keeping them over the 5's.

Nielsoe and enfield like this.
  12. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Also Primus rocks. I remember the first time I heard "Tales from the punch bowl" I was on shrooms at a Phish show and they played the first half of the album during intermission and that was a trip. Still my favorite Primus album...well that or Frizzle Fry.

13. mrkrinkle

Well, this thread convinced me not to sell my Lintons. Thanks, gents.

14. MrSnoid

MrSnoid Well-Known Member

Good move, also good thread thanks for starting…go Lintons!

Nielsoe likes this.
  15. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Klipsch is the next logical move of course:laugh:. Nah, but in all seriousness; from your description, you sound so happy with them, it seems any ''upgrade'' would be a lateral move. You should get off your butt and audition for yourself, if a t all possible. Much as you love your current speakers, there are always way better ones out there. I myself am of the persuation htat if it ain't broke.................but if I had the dough I'd upgrade. It had to be endgame speakers though, like Klipsch Heritage Line.

16. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

Correct me if I'm wrong but Klipsch is when you are not happy with the Lintons and you want the opposite approach/philosophy to music presentation.

But what direction to go if you love the Lintons and you are curious about the next step?

Harbeth? Spendor? Graham? Bring them on! I accept the challenge!

mrkrinkle and Toneh like this.
  17. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

By which you mean... retain everything we love about our Linton's but with a little more resolution? Indeed - I'd like to know that answer too :agree:

Nielsoe likes this.
  18. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

If you really want more detail, then I don't know why you haven't taken the plunge yet:

I agree with him that at a certain volume there is some compression. It's actually the only critique I have of the Lintons. However, I don't know whether this is due to the 'lack' of detail or if something else might be the problem. If I trusted myself with a soldering iron, I would have tried this simple modification months ago. If it doesn't have the desired results, you can always go back to how it was before.

bluemooze likes this.
  19. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

I don't actually feel as if I'm missing much through these speakers and they've profoundly challenged my preconceptions of what sort of sound I used to consider good once upon a time.
    I wouldn't tweak them for fear of messing up precisely what made me love them in the first place. So my previous comment was really a bit tongue in cheek.

We've agreed many times before that these speakers are deceptively revealing if you take the time to position and partner them correctly. I've just recently made a big amp upgrade and once again the Linton's have faithfully communicated the upstream change.

Having said all that I do wonder what will be next for me. It's clear I cannot go back to the etched, unmusical sound I once found so appealing.

20. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

Which amp have you bought? And it is a noticeable improvement?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2022
    Toneh likes this.
  21. mrkrinkle

It was Harbeth for me.

22. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

It was, of course, a joke.

23. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

I've just replaced a Yamaha A-S801 with a Yamaha A-S2200 and yes, I do feel like it's a noticeable improvement. It's been running almost two weeks now. It's amusing to me - because in the early days of my audio hobby I used to think very little of Yamaha. I used to consider them more of a HT brand. Turns out they know how to make a "proper" 2ch device!

I auditioned it against a Michi x3 which, despite all that power sounded really reserved and bit too neutral/aloof for it's own good. It didn't "grab" me at all. Meanwhile this Yamaha wears it's heart on it's sleeve, eager to please and when the music plays it matters.

It's much more open and transparent than the 801 and the more expensive amp digs out much more detail too and apparently images significantly better too... just the other night my Linton's "disappeared" for the first time since I've owned them... I don't recall them doing so with the 801. None of which should come as too much of a surprise, the 2200 is significantly more expensive but I still consider the 801 as a great value amp.

Also the 2200 seems to be playing the same game as the speakers do in terms of that "live" sound. The music seems to "appear" in the room as opposed to sounding forced or mechanical. Although I should note that the sound has "colour", so it might inspire a love/hate response and might not be to everyone's taste? Knowing the sonic signature of the Linton's as I do I would guess that the 2200 may likely sound a little bright with speakers that already lean that way. The top end is noticeably more "lively" with the new amp in service which I absolutely love!

These Linton's keep amazing me... no matter what you throw at them they always seem to rise to the occasion and happily communicate the changes.

24. mrkrinkle

What speakers did you use with the Michi? I ask because I listened to the X5 a few weeks ago, and really loved it. I'm a Yamaha guy, too, and also love the Lintons, so it sounds like we like similar stuff. Your description makes me wonder if it was the speaker pairing that turned you off the Michi.

Toneh likes this.
  25. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

The A-S2200 is one of the three amps that intrigues me as well, even though my A-s501, which I used for my Dentons, has let me down. Yesterday I noticed a hiss in the left channel. The right channel is dead quiet. It doesn't seem to affect the sound though. Roaming the internet it appears I'm not the only one with a hissing Yamaha. Anyway, congratulations with the 2200! I suppose you went with black?

Toneh likes this.