Considering replacing Wharfedale Lintons

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by iNeedItGreasy, Jan 7, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

Why go used, just grab a huge discount and get the Flagship Polk LSim 707 for $1,000.00 off and be done for good!

https://www.polkaudio.com/en-us/product/floor-standing-towers/lsim707

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Absolutely wonderful loudspeakers and so much low end, off the charts!:righton:

Soundsense likes this.
  2. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

According to the Stereophile measurements the Linton's have decent/good sensitivity but some potentially tricky demands on the partnering amplifier. One stand-out line reads: "The Wharfedale will work best with amplifiers that are comfortable driving 4 ohms." in reference to their real world impedance measurements.

So while the Linton's will "make sound" with the PM6003 personally I think you'll get better results from something more powerful or rather with a more robust power supply than your Marantz. And while everyone's tastes are different, from what I know of the sound signature of Marantz (I used to own one of their amps a while back) and the Linton's (they are my current speakers) I would tend to agree with the comments made by @ChrisR2060. It may all end up a little too mellow and laid back for it's own good. Possibly a little slow sounding and excessively "full" tonally. Perhaps that's why @ChrisR2060 found them more detailed when he switched amps?

I love these speakers btw and I think they get prematurely written off by people who have not taken the time to partner them carefully to extract the best of what they have to give. I've had good results with two Yamaha amplifiers (an A-S801 and more recently an A-S2200) but other amps that offer a slightly brighter, faster and livelier sound (and sufficient power) should also work. They will counteract the Linton's tendency to sound darker or more rolled off with upstream components that already lean that way.

You've got to remember that many of the current price comparable speakers are geared to sound quite bright already, so mellower upstream components can help tame their worst qualities. Think the opposite with the Linton's.

I've never heard the Leak you mention upthread, it seems that IAG may have designed it as something of an aesthetic match for the Linton's? But sticking with the IAG product offer I'd also look into Audiolab as a possibility. That might be a good match too?

ChrisR2060 likes this.
  3. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

+1

Funny enough my seating position is exactly 220cm from the front baffles and that does sound like the right sort of distance for everything to come together just right.

ChrisR2060 and ChrisEfterklang like this.
  4. mrkrinkle

mrkrinkle so long and thanks for all the fish

I decided to sell my Lintons, so I'm not using them as they wait for a buyer, but I've driven them with the Ruby, PM8006, A-S1200, and A-S801. The Ruby was definitely a bit mellow. The 8006 is a good match, though. The midrange is very forward, and the amp and speakers line up well that way. You don't get the detail and separation that you do with a Yamaha, but you get body and punch. If you're someone who likes open and airy sound, I think you'll find it soupy. But if you're considering the Lintons in the first place, then you probably like the midrange warmth, so I think that combo could be really fun for you.

ChrisR2060 and Toneh like this.
  5. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

Great insights, thanks for sharing. And succinctly put too I might add. Bravo.

I do tend to like detailed, open and airy and will happily trade a little bass/lower mid weight for articulation, texture and tunefulness.

Your comments align with what I hear from the Linton's in combination with both Yamaha's I've used them with. And the Linton's for their part bring a laid back listenability that makes for a plenty revealing sound without the fatigue of most other speakers I've owned. I've heard them on the end of tubes as well and while the mids and highs were superior I thought the bass went a bit flabby (woolly I think the British magazines like to call it?) so careful partnering is key. They are more communicative of what's going on upstream than some people give them credit for.

ChrisR2060 and mrkrinkle like this.
  6. mrkrinkle

mrkrinkle so long and thanks for all the fish

I think that's spot on. The top end isn't as forward or separated as it is with brighter and faster speakers, and I think because the higher frequencies blend with the midrange they can sound understated, recessed, or rolled off, but in reality all the detail is still very much there, just not in your face. And there is plenty of detail in the mids and lows, too. I think anyone who likes midrange will really love these speakers.

I also really highly recommend the Dentons. I'm surprised more people don't sing their praises. I think they're a steal at $600.

Nielsoe likes this.
  7. ChrisEfterklang

ChrisEfterklang Forum Resident

Well, I auditioned these, brought both my amplifier (Marantz PM6003) and CD player along with me and the Linton’s really impressed me. Basically I fell in love with their overall sound signature. The store had a really great offer online (speakers and matching stands for € 1050 in total for new unopened set) that I gladly took up and so now the Linton’s are in my living room. Sadly not with the stands yet as it seemed they had somehow misplaced one of them and didn’t have more in stock. But they immediately offered me to ship them out to me at no additional costs once new stock would arrive next week. For now they are sitting on a set of Norstone stands which are just a tad too small for them but it’ll do for now. After some slight tweaking I have the stereo imaging pretty dialed in I think and I experience what many have said before here … they are really fun to listen to and so far everything I throw at them comes out shining.

One slightly annoying thing: whoever packed them at their factory has mislabelled them Right and Left on the bags inside the boxes so initially I had them set up the wrong way round but quickly noticed in the brief manual (yeah, I know I should have read it first) how to identify R and L speaker and quickly switched them around, which does make a distinct difference soundwise.

8. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

Congratulations on your new purchase and thanks for coming back to update us too.
    Have you confirmed that the speaker serial numbers match - the numbers should be identical.

9. mjcmt

mjcmt Forum Resident

In the same retro concept as the Lintons, the re-issue JBL L100 and the Klipsch Heresy IV and Forte IV come to mind.
    If you go for a contemporary look the sky's the limit but Spendor, ATC, ProAc, Harbeth are considerations.

TheRealMcCoy and Toneh like this.
  10. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

The newly rebooted Mission 770 - from the same designer as the Linton's - is another speaker I'm eagerly anticipating an audition of. Early reviews indicate a sound that builds on the best qualities of the Linton's while offering a significant bump in resolution and clarity albeit it at the cost of some sensitivity - and at an equally significant bump in price too.

Tawaun A Williams likes this.
  11. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

That's a great deal since everything has gone up in price. I'm surprised that they sound 'fun' from the get-go because it took a long time before my Lintons settled in. At first, only the very best recordings sounded good on them, but something like Al Stewart's The Year Of The Cat was unlistenable.

Last edited: May 14, 2022
  12. ChrisEfterklang

For a moment you made my heart sink but I checked and both serial numbers are identical.

I really felt I had to report back here since it was on this forum I heard about the Lintons for the first time and some of the posts here have been so helpful.

woody, Just Outlaw and Toneh like this.
  13. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

Great news! Worth checking anyway.

14. ChrisEfterklang

Well, it took me by surprise as well that they sounded so good straight from the box but hey, I don’t have much experience in buying new gear. My previous main speakers (JMLab Daline 3.1) have been with me since the early 90s I think, might actually have even been bought around 89/90. I bought my Marantz PM6003 in the year it was released (can’t find it when that was right now). Have much to look forward too if they will settle in I guess. And yes, I am listening to staple recordings from my collection but I was surprised how good already Queensryche’s Operation Mindcrime (quite a bright and harsh 80 production) sounded last night. Right now playing a electronic classic, Michael Stearns’ Encounter album.

Nielsoe likes this.
  15. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Well, if you like them now you will love them after they have settled in. After about 50 hours or so they will deliver a vastly more expansive and organic sound and they will also go louder witkout strain. Having said that I do agree they sound good out of the box. But it takes some time for them to deliver their (perceived) full range sound that will have you nailed to your chair for hours listening to music, not hifi.

ChrisEfterklang likes this.
  16. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

To be honest, in the beginning I didn't realize the drivers of my Lintons were sitting quite loose in the cabinets, which lengthened the whole burn-in process. But even then, after the screws were tightened, the mid-range was still very picky. Sometimes the difference between LP and CD was enormous, with the former sounding pleasant, the latter sounding harsh. Every remaster of Animals sounded harsh. The original LP and the first unremastered CD were fine.

Just checking out this 'Encounter' album. Soft digital synth sounds with almost no mids to speak of so this would never have been a problem. ;)

Last edited: May 14, 2022
  17. ChrisEfterklang

It is a really lovely album with some very surprising where the sound really goes deep into the lower frequencies.

patient_ot likes this.
  18. ChrisEfterklang

Question: has anyone combined two Lintons with two Dentons and an additional centre in a surround setup? If so what centre did you pick.

I have no intention on doing this but I know a friend of mine is thinking about it.

19. nyrjoe

nyrjoe Well-Known Member

Having a like/hate experience with my Lintons after 100 hours or so. At the moment, have them paired with an Arcam SA30. Really like the full immersive sound, bass. They have a unique ability to pull me in. However not a fan of the vocal presentation. Wish they were was a bit more refinement here, more sweetness but most of all less of a forward projection. Some listening sessions I walk away very satisfied and others only hearing everything that I don’t like about them. Thinking maybe a change but not sure to what. Been reading up on Harbeth, Tannoy. Don’t think the KLH Model 5 would work as I suspect those would be even less refined with less Bass? Want something similar to the Lintons but with a bit more of what I’m looking for. Also wondering if the forthcoming Dovedales would do the trick? Welcome any suggestions.. Thanks

Hoffy and Nielsoe like this.
  20. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

I've got a trick for you: an additional 100 hours of break in and you're good. Take this advice from someone who actually owns a set. Please do this before anything else and also kindly report back when done. I would put on electronic music when clearing, watch HBO with sound coming through the speakers ect. The Lintons need break in and 100 hours is not enough to truly make them sing. Oh, and this is not the spot where non owners chime in to say it's just my ears getting used to their sound.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  21. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

Exactly this.

Nielsoe likes this.
  22. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

I'd say 500 hours (and check if the screws are not loose).

Nielsoe likes this.
  23. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

200 hours would be my estimate, but in all honesty it could be more. Having said that I do think they start singing after 50-100 hours, but to really shine they do need more.

24. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Well-Known Member

a picture is worth a thousand words.:)

mreeter likes this.
  25. ChrisEfterklang

Is it possible you have a large reflective surface between your speakers? Because I felt my Lintons sounded great but where a bit infocused when the vocals where dead center in the mix. I have my flat screen tv in between my speakers so a friend of mine suggested covering the tv with a blanket (I used a large but lightweight fleece which I folded once to get two layers) and lo behold I really found that the vocals became quite a bit more focused. Have them now for a little more then a month and am still tinkering with positioning but the blanket “hack” was a nice improvement that cost nothing.

HiFi Guy and Nielsoe like this.