Considering Revising Vinyl Collection

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Neonknight1, Feb 3, 2024.

1. mkane77g

mkane77g Happy Camper

Gave the stuff that I thought was music to my kids long ago

2. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

Man, you basically summed up a thought I’ve had for a while now. I haven’t culled anything and I have basically a room full of vinyl (I’m estimating 3,000-3,500), but I did help a friend sell off 90% of his collection. His collection was NOT crappy, either - lots of good condition classic rock, new wave, alternative, etc. Talking Heads, XTC, Cars, Tangerine Dream, etc. The big record stores around me - Scottys, PREX, etc, all gave what I would call embarrassingly low offers. I mean, I get it -they need to stock it and sell it - but this was during the pandemic and people were paying stupid money for these titles. I saw a bunch show up a week later that they paid like less than a buck each for, being resold for $10-15. I think they could have done better. But, that’s the business. If you want closer to retail, you have to go through the time and headache of selling to people individually. It’s not easy, and you will always have unhappy people from time to time. There is no easy way.

For my own plan, I have stopped going through bins for used stuff as much, and only buy things that I know I will play. I collect a couple of audiophile series and that’s pretty much it for new vinyl. I already have more than I’ll ever be able to listen to. For new titles that I might not play often, I’ll pick it up on SACD if it’s available. Or I’ll just be happy streaming it.

zphage and BornToBoogie like this.
  3. zbarbera

zbarbera A stereo's a stereo. Art is forever!

I don’t bother trying to buy from Marketplace. I always assume anything good is going to get picked off within minutes of posting, so if I see the ad either anything good is gone or it’s just bait :)

4. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I've done this a number of times over the decades, most recently when I knew we were going to leave NY and I had about 17,000 LPs, not all of which were worth moving in my estimation.
    I went through the process of sorting, and made an arrangement with a guy who does this for a living. He'd pick up a truck full of records at my house, deal w/ retailing them and send me a check- we split 50/50 and he picked up shipping, returns, dealt with customers. (I would not have done that, especially for thousands of records).
    At the same time, I was completing some labels I was collecting- Vertigo Swirl, some of the small label jazz from the '70s I like. It left me with roughly 5,000+ records to move to Texas. Far more manageable. I did one more big purge a few years ago, right before Covid. Probably another 1,000 + records in two batches-- to 1/2 Price books. I didn't get much money for them, but that wasn't the point.
    I was so desperate to get rid of records when we were leaving NY, a local record store had agreed to simply take them for free and resell them with no obligation to me. But, they didn't communicate, even after I reached out several times. So my e-whatever guy, who was doing the sales rescued me- just took the remaining stuff I wanted to get rid of, with the understanding that he could keep all proceeds. I also gave him a VPI 16(.5) and a bunch of record cleaning equipment, fluids, etc. as a thank you for helping me out.
    I did keep some stuff I don't listen to much- old audiophile, all the high end classical from back in the day- RCA doggies, Mercury Living Presence, EMI ASDs, Lyrita, Decca, English Londons and a bunch of other arguably collectible stuff. But far less material now to house- I was using the entire third floor of a very large house for the system and records before I moved. I'm in a house 1/3 that size now, and no real problems with space re the records.

kwadguy likes this.
  5. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Unless you have a collection of bonafied rarities (and your description suggests you don't), you'll get only pennies from any used record store.

That said, selling stuff yourself is painful work.

My recommendation: If you have run of the mill stuff, but artist runs, bundle the artist runs and eBay them off like that. (10 LPs by AC/DC, for example). That assumes reasonable condition, of course. But a run of the Atlantic era AC/DC in VG++ to NM- condition would be something easy to sell for enough cash to make it while bothering (not giant money, but more than a few bucks).

If you have less than VG++ condition stuff and/or just a potpourri of random common titles, then you might want to bite the bullet and just heave them at a used store for pennies--or donate them to Goodwill and take a more sizable donation, if you pay significant taxes.

Joti Cover and zphage like this.
  6. Johncan

Johncan Always learning

Congrats! I hope both are happy with the deal.

7. Neonknight1

Neonknight1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I gave a decent discount for taking all of it and saving me the time. It also means if there were any duds in there...as I did not play every single record...there will be make ups for him.

8. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

This is the way I am trying to look at things. My collection was never built as an investment. Sure there are rarities, and I am kinda sitting on those for the most part, but the store credit thing is more my speed. I got enough credit a year ago that I have only cashed in a third of it. I rarely go in though because I still have a room filled with physical media and need to purge more than fill. I guess it all depends on what you hope to get out of it and the amount of time and energy you want to put into things you don't want.

Joti Cover likes this.
  9. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

I am looking to cull some doubles from my 6000 lp collection later this year. I have been been pretty vigilant to only seek out NM or close condition of audiophile new records or best pressings of classic rock titles so the average median discogs price of my collection is in the $50 dollar range. Not in a hurry to sell anything so will probably use the forum classifieds and just enjoy getting some money to spend on my system upgrades. Want to retire in April and will be a fun way to spend my time going through my collection. Will set up a separate account to use as my music spending account and put whatever I raise selling into this account. Will fund my hobby and I tell my wife it doesn’t impact our retirement financial plan. Not that she cares!

Joti Cover likes this.
  10. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

The hardest part isn't choosing what to get rid of, it's just the whole process, which is time consuming, physical and requires you to make arrangements. I you have enough space to set aside the stuff you want to unload, do it in steps- first cull and separate, then box 'em up, then schlepp 'em to the store. That said, I probably dumped some things I should have kept-- either that or somewhere in the process of moving and unpacking there are a few jewels that still elude me.
    All in all, though, a cathartic experience. Good luck!

11. Bigsweetc6

Bigsweetc6 Forum Resident

Definitely try Craigslist, or Facebook marketplace or here before you just go to a shop and settle for pennies on the dollar. Especially since you live in Olympia you’ll have lots of buyers locally. Try to do a vinyl yard Sale, make a bunch of fliers and take them to cafes or near record shops, venues. I assure you you’ll make the most. Last option, and the one always there is a record store.

zphage likes this.
  12. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

This was going to be my suggestion. I would do something like this - if it's feasible - before doing anything else, in terms with parting with an entire lot. It's probably the easiest and fastest way to get rid of a lot pieces in one day without having to succumb to a record store offer (though there's still work to do at your end, like the pricing). In fact, such a sale will likely bring people from the same record stores you might have tried selling at, and any offer they make will likely be a little better, FWIW.

13. BornToBoogie

BornToBoogie Forum Resident

I am one of those just starting the process.
    My plan is a series of small culls and selling to local record shop.
    Will not raise much but I like the idea of someone else spotting one of my albums and being pleased to find it.

14. Neonknight1

Neonknight1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I ran an ad on CL and FB. All 200 sold to first buyer. Had a couple of unhappy people behind them. But you know how it goes with CL buyers, it's always a guess if they even show.

15. Have you considered a table down at the Golden Nugget on Rt29?

Golden Nugget Antique Flea Market || Renting Tables (gnflea.com)

Drew769 likes this.
  16. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

I don’t think I could handle it! Lol. If/when I do cull, I’ll do it selectively probably here on Hoffman. The rest I can take a loss on (stuff too cheap to bother with selling and mailing)

zphage likes this.