Contemporary Records 70th Anniversary Reissue Series

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by p.analogowy, Jun 19, 2021.

1. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

That will probably put them out of reach for me then sadly

2. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

By the way Chad just confirmed that AP will repress the Prestige series titles.

3. ETSEQ

ETSEQ Forum Resident

I practically cheered when I heard that part. Also, I sincerely loved how Chad used this silly argument as an opportunity to shamelessly plug his past and future releases.

4. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

Ahahah yeh, I was always laughing when he decided to do that out of the blue when it wasn't even called for.

kt66brooklyn, uzn007 and ETSEQ like this.
  5. He did? Stereo and mono?

Imagine being someone who bought one of the “last sets” of the stereo titles for $2k. That’s a kick in the nuts to those customers if true.

6. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Indeed. I only wish thst Chad could distribute these through the EU as well, now that Craft own the label maybe they could help.

RiRiIII likes this.
  7. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

Ooof - you're not wrong.
    Only a few sets but they ain't gonna be happy.
    I predict a flood of AP prestige titles are about to hit the market before word gets out.
    (Lol - I myself picked up an Elmo Hope for cheap recently, with a view to reselling. Better get busy...)

kt66brooklyn and Leonthepro like this.
  8. Personally, I wouldn’t sell anything I want in my collection based on a comment of Chad on a YouTube video. Who knows how long, if they will be the same quality, how many will be pressed, or if the whole thing gets nixed as we have seen several times. Now if you have dupes or titles you are not interested in keeping, then it is likely the best time to unload them

Dignan2000, uzn007 and ETSEQ like this.
  9. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

Oh boy I’m so in for this.

others here mentioned they’re hyped to finally subscribe to an AP series. I am too. Back with the last sets I wasn’t in a place financially to subscribe. Now I am, so bring them all on!

YEX 750-1 and Juggsnelson like this.
  10. Jerry James

Jerry James Rorum Fesident

Is it AP Prestige series reissues only, or are they for sure going to repress the Impulse & Verve titles again, too?

11. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Some of the Impulse and Verve series titles are being released as 33s in the Acoustic Sounds Series. It seems doubtful they will repress the 45s as well.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
  12. Briskit

Meanwhile it's already begun over in classifieds - whole bunch of AP prestige offered at prices I haven't seen in awhile.

astro70 and this_machine like this.
  13. o4hc

o4hc Forum Resident

The AS backorder list doesn't seem to move the needle (down) on discogs — is it more immediate here?

14. YEX 750-1

YEX 750-1 Long-winded Brother

I hope they can go at least a couple steps off the beaten path in terms of titles. Don’t see why not because everything they release will sell out. Unless these titles were chosen six years ago, then I guess they could stick closer to the sweet spot.

The Arrival of Victor Feldman would be my outside pick. Scott LaFaro is absolute fire on that session.

No matter what, though, so excited that Bernie’s versions of some Contemporary titles will finally see the light of day.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
    stefane, zither and Patanoia like this.
  15. Briskit

I don't think you'll see any movement there until the titles have actually been repressed. And even then I wouldn't be shocked if they still don't budge. Stubborn sellers who figure with enough patience they'll get a sale to someone less informed, or less thrifty.
    Just look at sales prices for 70's blue note pressings that have had a Tone Poet release. Might have slowed a bit but certainly hasn't gone down. Go figure....

16. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

If AP is going to repress all the mono/stereo Prestige, don't be in too much of a hurry for specific titles. I'm a subscriber for both series and it took AP five years to get them all out.

Leonthepro likes this.
  17. ETSEQ

ETSEQ Forum Resident

Do we think they're going to do a subscription model? I kind of assumed they would only be put out individually (though I wasn't collecting jazz when this series originally came out so I'm missing some historical context).

18. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

Hopefully, this gets done like the Acoustic Sounds/UMe Verve/Impulse series so it gets worldwide distribution. I speculate Craft will not licence these out to AP at 33rpm to do as they wish.

Leonthepro likes this.
  19. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

dastinger, o4hc, Patanoia and 4 others like this.
  20. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

Well that was right on cue.:D

dastinger, beginthebegin and uzn007 like this.
  21. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Swordsandchains likes this.
  22. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

uzn007 likes this.
  23. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

Awesome, but Craft needs to go all-in and not half-in like some of their other label projects...

Vic Trola, Guildx500, uzn007 and 3 others like this.
  24. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

I guess this is the subscription that Analogue Productions was ready to release but was halted when Concord acquired Riverside/Contemporary/Pablo. On previous subscriptions (Blue Note, Impulse, some of the Prestige titles, RCA Living Stereo) Analogue Productions released SACDs along with its vinyl counterpart.

uzn007 and Tom Campbell like this.
  25. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Really hoping they do this right!