Controversial casting in movies

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Pizza, Jun 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

agreed, but I see nothing wrong with Sofia and he should have just casted her first...she looked the part. The others did not.

Shoes1916 likes this.
  2. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

There are parts of the movie where I think she did great. Others parts make me cringe a bit. And, yes, she looked the part. How could she not? As I alluded to earlier, her aunt played her aunt.

Shoes1916 and Michael like this.
  3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

that's what made it great...real family. I had no cringe parts other than the uncalled for incest...

4. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I think that Pattinson was a good choice for the Batman character. Hopefully the films will take some direction from the comic books.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  5. Humbruh

Humbruh Forum Resident

The solution is they should have never remade the movie. The Intouchables was perfectly fine and enjoyable for what it is and I will never watch it cause of how much I dislike Kevin Hart. Omar Sy is the role.

6. Considering the character barely exists in the novella, the producers would’ve been well advised to overrule Blake Edwards and not included those shoes in the script at all.

7. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Gotta respectfully disagree. Cuba was a nation of indigenous peoples which was then conquered and settled by Spain, a European country. The Spanish poured in and sadly brought slaves from Africa. As time when on, immigrants from other European countries and even Asia arrived- yes, to this day there is a Chinatown in downtown Havana (Barrio Chino). As such, Cuba has always been a nation of many different kinds of people.

So Pacino was actually perfect for the role. Not to mention he nailed it.

8. The Snout

The Snout Forum Resident

While I understand your last comment to be the case for America as a whole, I wonder if it's true of all Americans.

9. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

He was great in 'Tropic Thunder '...

slashdot87 and GregM like this.
  10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I like Cruise in general but I didn't care for his performance in "TT". From my review:

"On the negative side, I’m not wild about the Tom Cruise cameo. He didn’t seem to get the message that he’s in a comedy, so he plays the studio head with an odd intensity. Maybe he does know that Thunder is a comedy but just lacks the right comic style – it’s hard to tell. All I know is that the flick grinds to a halt when he appears on screen; he’s closer to creepy than he is to funny. "

11. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

Definitely Aloha, but most of the characters in Descendants are meant to be the descendants of white settlers on Kauai (in the novel, they're descended from missionaries). I actually agree that a version of that story focused on an Asian/Pacific Island/indigenous family would have been far more interesting.

12. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I had no idea what the Jack Reacher character was suppose to be like until someone mentioned it on this forum. My guess is that the majority of the people who watched those movies didn't either so it was just viewed as Tom Cruise in an action movie for the most part.

13. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Tilda Swinton as The Ancient One in Dr. Strange.

14. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Ok, but you neglected to say he's barely recognizable, in a fat suit with particular attention paid to his forearms, made up to be bald, with glasses, prone to colorful insults, violent outbursts, screaming into his phone like a maniac, and playing gangster rap on his office soundsystem with the click of a remote that turns the lighting into a sort of discotheque. It's a hilarious spoof of immoral, pushy hollywood bigshots like Weinstein. Yes, he's creepy--grossly so. I'm not sure how you could take it seriously, just like everything in the movie.

slashdot87 likes this.
  15. Oatsdad

I never said I took it seriously - I said that Cruise's performance was out of kilter with the rest of the movie.

Bottom line: I didn't think he was funny.

As an aside, I saw "TT" theatrically with a friend who didn't realize the fake ads/trailers that come at the start were phony.

She thought they were real trailers for upcoming movies! :wtf:

16. You may be correct -though the Reacher series is very popular, I suspect Tom's fan base dwarfs them in number.

17. Oatsdad

:shh:

Pete Puma likes this.
  18. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I saw it with coworkers who all had a great sense of humor. Sure, since you've been watching ads and previews, the fake ads seem real at first but then your friend should have caught on. They were hilarious. We were all laughing from the start. On the other hand, I didn't recognize Tom Cruise until the credits rolled. I thought it was arguably his best performance ever. In all his other roles he looks nearly the same as he did 35 years ago in Risky Business (Bot4oJ being the one exception).

19. Oatsdad

The 1st couple of fake ads could've been believed because they featured not-well-known actors.

But once we got a "trailer" with Jack Black - or whoever the first "name" to be in a fake trailer there was - and he's billed as someone else, it was obvious.

My friend never explained why she thought Black, Stiller and Downey were all acting in movies under assumed names! :wtf:

As for Cruise, I can't remember if I knew he was in the movie before I saw it or not.

I don't think I did, but I'm not sure.

So I can't really say if I recognized him without foreknowledge, though I think I did. Probably took some time to put 2+2 together, but there was enough Cruise look, sound and performance there to identify him...

20. SandAndGlass

Your location is within the continental United States. Are you an American? If so, could you not answer your own question?

21. SandAndGlass

Buy DeLorean, convert for time travel, get in DeLorean, set controls for now minus seven decades, deliver advice to producers. Problem solved.

Better yet, pick up Greta Thunberg, take with you! :)

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  22. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

Oh you wouldn’t dare! :)

SandAndGlass likes this.
  23. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Honey Bunches of Sadness Forum Resident

I generally dislike Cruise's presence in a film. But he was pretty good in Collateral (2004). He rarely plays a villain - not sure if that meets your definition of "pushed".

24. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Honey Bunches of Sadness Forum Resident

Thanks for the information, as I am not familiar with the source material.

Presuming the missionaries in question arrived sometime in the 19th century, it seems likely there would have been some inter-marriage with the locals over the intervening decades.

Maggie likes this.
  25. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Forgot about that one but unlike most others, I didn't think his performance was anything other than forgettable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.