Cool article on vintage tube amps by Vinyl Anachronist!!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by audio, Jan 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audio

audio New Member Thread Starter

The guys on the Scott list hipped me to this article by one of our forum members. I think it is very well written and a great read for those who are curious about getting into tubes:

http://www.perfectsoundforever.com/v/2004111/features/11

Hope you don't mind my posting this, Marc!

-Adam

2. vinyl anachronist

vinyl anachronist Senior Member

No problem, Adam! Thanks for the plug!

3. Green Tea

Green Tea Sweet Soulful Sounds

4. vinyl anachronist

5. vinyl anachronist

Hey, Adam, do you have a URL for the Scott list you were talking about, or is it a mailing list?

6. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

Hoo boy, now I'm excited for my Scott LK-72 on the way!

Now alls I need is a turntable.

7. radioactive

radioactive Forum Resident

scott link

vinyl anachronist just follow this
    link and goto the bottom of the page all the info you need is there to join the mailing list.
    ryan,
    im sure youll like the lk72 once you get it.they are a truly nice sounding 7591 based amp.what version are you getting? the bronzed faceplate or the gold? i myself have the lk72b along with a lt110 tuner and they make a good setup.so after you get your lk72 you might want to look at getting the matching tuner.that is if you listen to the radio.good luck with your amp :righton:
    chris

8. Ryan

radio-

It's the bronze, although I've been referring to it as "brown". Bronze sounds better!

9. radioactive

well i never had the bronze version but i had the earlier brown faced version but sold it long ago and kept the lk72b because of the shape its in.theres a couple of gold lt 110's on ebay now if your looking.it would really complete the set and i would serouisly consider getting one.either that or a 350 which is basically the lt 110 but factory built.does yours come with a case? and also what kind of speakers are you going to be driving with it? i recently picked up some klipsch heresyII's that i should try out with mine as its been awhile since ive had it hooked up and running but i just havnt got around to it.be shure to give your impressions and perhaps some pictures once you get it .regards,
    chris

10. vinyl anachronist

Thanks! I am very familiar with that website already, but didn't really notice the mailing list until now.

11. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

How many watts per channel is the Scott 299B??

thanks,

Mikey

12. vinyl anachronist

21 wpc. Adam told me that due to the age, it may be slightly less.

13. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Thank you Marc. Now i have to buy one......

14. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

My 299A is about 14wpc. Actually the test report from the tech said 14 in one side and 17 in the other. Boy, what a sound! Everytime I think about selling it, I listen and really start digging the sound. Its in my bedroom system, so it doesn't get as much use. But when its turned on, it says on for a while! Its real easy to listen to.

15. NOSValves

NOSValves New Member

That is much more than a normal LK72 on its way ! I can't wait till you get it hooked up and report what you think.

Craig

16. radioactive

craig i take it thats the one on your website?sounds like a winner for sure.im sure ryan will be more than happy with it and it comes with all original tube lineup very nice indeed.
    i noticed you have a 233 up for sale as well .id suggest if someone is looking for a scott amp that they look at this one.although not as popular as the lk72 or 299d they do sound very similar but with the reduced output power that you probally wont even notice.
    chris

17. Ryan

Oh I'm sure! I had just enough time today to unpack it and marvel at it before going to work :realmad:

18. radioactive

if it were me i dont think i would have made it to work :D

19. radioactive

so ryan whats up did you hook it up and get lost in the music :D :righton:
    chris
    please let us know what you think once you come up for air

20. NOSValves

NOSValves New Member

He emailed me earlier. He had to work and won't have time till tomorrow to give it a listen.

21. radioactive

22. Ryan

Impressed indeed! Just got everything set up and am listening to Ray Charles Atlantic stuff now...the piano sounds incredible....

This thing be POWERFUL! I don't think I'll ever go beyond '5' on the dial...except to wake up someone a block or two away. :laugh:

The tubes are all glowing (yay!) and there's that smell you get when old equipment warms up...not too bad....Ray's voice, even on my "so-so" speakers, is so prominent and lifelike!

These tubes get mighty warm too...much warmer than my Eico HF-85.

When I first set up, I had only low sound in the left speaker, normal in the right. But I fiddled with the speaker connection and all is good now - both channels at 100 percent!

23. NOSValves

NOSValves New Member

Ryan,

Gald you have it rolling ! We are going to have to set some other way to transfer the manual. I have tried to email it now about 6 times the darn thing is just to large for email. Do you have AOL instant messenger we could do a file transfer through that. Wish I would of thought of it I would of just burned the manual on the disc. and sent it with the amp.

Craig

24. radioactive

nice too see you got it all hooked up and finally being able to actually listen to it . :thumbsup:
    craig & ryan do you both have gmail accounts if so you should be able to transfer the manual between the 2 accounts.ive had lots of success doing this with gmail.if you guys dont have gmail i think i have 2 invitess left if you want them.
    chris

25. Ryan

I have a gmail, not sure about Craig.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.