Cool Edit EQ Question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Chris Desjardin, Aug 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Desjardin

Chris Desjardin Senior Member Thread Starter

I am working on an 80's rarities set. I have a CD version of the song Naughty, Naughty by John Parr. The problem is is gets progressively muffled as the song goes along. Is there any way to perform a progressive EQ curve so as the song gets more muffled, the EQ adds more treble to offset it? I can't figure it out, but maybe someone here can help.

2. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Chris,

Remember Steve's mastering class 101, don't add, reduce. Play with the mid-range instead of adding to the higher stuff...

Todd

3. Chris Desjardin

Chris Desjardin Senior Member Thread Starter

I do remember his advice, but in this case, I don't know what to subtract. If I cut the treble from the beginning of the track, the whole song will sound muffled. It almost sounds like the tape was played on a deck that needed demagnetizing, and suffered a treble loss for the last couple of minutes in the song. I really think in this case it might be better to add. But thanks for the advice - I'll give it a try.

4. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Chris, play around with it. Maybe Steve can throw you in the right direction?

Todd

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Perhaps you should just leave it as it is.

But, Cool Edit 2.0 had dynamic EQ that would allow you to do just this.

Anyway, I suggest cutting the EQ around 350Hz by a few dbs to help clear up the murkiness. I learned that trick from Roger Nichols. Of course, you'll have to play around a bit with the Q spot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.