Copenhagen, Oslo, Gothenburg shops?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by hobbes4444, May 24, 2023.

1. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict Thread Starter

Have a trip coming up to Europe and will be spending time in Gothenburg, Copenhagen and Oslo (London as well but I know a few places in Soho). Looking for recommendations for vinyl and cd shops in and around those cities. I'll have a car for Gothenburg and Oslo.

Thanks!!

2. Nilsy

Nilsy New Member

Probably to late but thought id respond just incase
    Gothenburg had two good record stores about 10 years ago "Bengans" and "Andra Långgatans Skivhandel" they are in walking distance from each other. Unless streaming killed them last couple of years they were well worth going to.
    If you go by car from Oslo to Gothenburg you pass a large 2nd hand record store called Asker in Grums 10m after the only bridge over water for miles so this is the road google maps or any GPS would tell you to use. It looks like a giant condemned building but it has thousands of vinyls organized by type of music and artists name which is a rarity.

Daddy-O4 likes this.
  3. hobbes4444

Found some amazing shops on my trip ....

Råkk and Rålls second-hand shop in Oslo was a wonderful destination. Spent several hours in there and dropped a lot of money. Found a pristine in shrink original TMOQ copy of Tales from the Who there.

Linné skivbörs in Göteborg had amazing stuff and very friendly staff once they warmed up to you a little. Also dropped a lot of money here!

Vinylkjellarn also in Göteborg was a good place to dig for some bargains.

Dirty Records in Göteborg was also a worthwhile visit. They were having a 50% off sale that was pretty good for common titles. I suspect they had some other more interesting stuff that was underneath the crates that were out. So YMMV there.

And in Copenhagen, Sound Station had a really nice selection of used vinyl. Bit pricey for some stuff. But friendly staff as well.

Also, for serious digging, Goldmine Records is a paradise. It's pure chaos in there, which is half the fun.

And found some nice bargains for late 80s early 90s pressings at two locations of Accord in Vesterbro and Norrebro.

And my main interest is rock and singer-songwriter. There were some stores that were great for metal, jazz, techno etc that I skipped that looked cool. Spent a while chatting with the owner of Speakers Korner in Copenhagen. Cool guy and nice little store for experimental jazz, etc.

In all I think I shipped about 15kg of vinyl home and had probably 2 more kg in my luggage! Very productive trip in terms of European pressings that aren't readily accessible here. If I wasn't traveling alone, I would have brought a LP DJ road case along with my luggage. But had to pack a lot already for my 3.5 week trip. . .

Last edited: Jul 27, 2023
    Nilsy and sharedon like this.
  4. Nilsy

Nilsy New Member

It is a lot more fun abroad to dive into the vinyl bins.
    Wish had your energy and passion for bin diving, very inspirational
    Always nice to get info on second hand stores they do tend to be underground. sounds amazing

5. hobbes4444

I was pretty burnt out by Copenhagen (and a little under the weather after picking up a cold in London), so didn't really spend a lot of time in Goldmine, but that would have been fun. One could literally spend an entire day in that store.

Here are some highlights of my finds...

The Who Tales from the Who - true 1st pressing from TMOQ
    Led Zeppelin V1/2 Live in Seattle 1st press
    Tracy Chapman German
    Pink Floyd The Wall Swedish
    Queen Night at the Opera Swedish
    Queen A Day at the Races Seedish
    Queen Live Killers UK
    Suzanne Vega 99.9F° Europe
    Van Morrison Avalon Sunset Europe
    Van Morrison Enlightenment Europe
    Bowie Hunky Dory German late 70s
    Bowie Low 1st UK with inserts
    Dire Straits Scandinavia
    Dire Straits Making Movies Canada
    Steely Dan Countdown to Ecstacy Canada
    Elvis Costello My Aim is True UK 1st
    Rush Chronicles Europe
    Paul Simon Rhythm of the Saints Europe
    Paul Simon Negotiations and Other Love Songs Europe
    Split Enz Corroboree 1st Australian
    Crowded House Europe
    Crowded House Woodface Europe
    Crowded House Locked Out 10"
    Jethro Tull Bursting Out UK
    David Lindley Win this Record Norway
    Bruce Cockburn Live Europe
    Bruce Cockburn Nothing But a Burning Light Europe
    John Hiatt Stolen Moments Europe
    BoDeans Black and White Europe
    Melissa Etheridge Brave and Crazy Scandinavia
    Rosanne Cash Interiors Europe
    Dave Dobbyn Loyal UK
    Joe Jackson I'm the Man Europe
    Don Henley End of the Innocence Europe
    Dire Straits Live in 85 (Stockholm 10.25.85)
    Michael Penn March Europe
    John Mellencamp Whenever We Wanted Europe
    Indigo Girls Nomads Indians Saints Europe
    Springsteen The River Philippines pressing

Daddy-O4 likes this.